PDA

View Full Version : New member vxr8 wortec carbon

john22
9th February 2008, 07:36 AM
Hi,

New member purchased vxr8 black with full wortec kit supercharger, lowered,20 inch wheels , full exhaust ...beast at 625 bhp claimed?? - big difference in performance to my vxr Monaro with all the bits - question for other vxr8 owners do you find yours unsettled on bumps as if too much rebound? mine great on flat surfaces but on an uneven surface not good ?? or is it just me ?:confused:

vlad the impaler
9th February 2008, 09:07 AM
Hi first post on this site:cool:

I have ordered a Carbon edition car after seeing it at the Autosport show and a test drive at a dealer in Kent.

When being told the spec of the car, they said it was 600hp! so have you had some more work done? (web site says 600hp) if so what? I assume you have the original supercharger or have you somehow got the new one:mad:

As for springs the sales guy said they were a visual upgrade more than performance one and when pushed on lumpy roads the standard dampers were unable to cope:(

He also said that the future suspension upgrade for the Carbon and VXR8 would have adjustable height and damping via a remote link (think he was unsure how:rolleyes:)

Last thing (for now) I final went with a manual what did you get?

john22
9th February 2008, 09:30 AM
Hi Vlad :o

Yes mines a manual - I don't think the auto box is great with the s / charger? no doubt some one will tell me different
The car has the intercooler and upgrading MAF pipes ?? which I'm told pushes the bhp up to 620 or so?

The suspension performance does require looking into I find it strange this has not been sorted alreadyas unlike my vxr monaro where I was regularly waiting for and then adding new bits - exhausts, Ap's, re maps , rip shifter etc this car now comes with the lot briiliant straight out of the box

You cannot be disappointed the performance is simply staggering and this is from a 1000cc sports bike owner , however christ only knows how long the rear wil last spins all through the first 3 may consider a traction control unit from race logic as 1st and 2nd are just plain silly

I'm out to the Ring and isle of Man again this year, the Monaro was great but this is something else ! speak soon :roll:

John22

Daz5182
9th February 2008, 09:42 AM
stuff dreams are made of lads, i wish i had the money to buy and run one.....

vxrdilly
9th February 2008, 11:34 AM
stuff dreams are made of lads, i wish i had the money to buy and run one.....

Welcome both and what he said really:D:D

john22
9th February 2008, 12:20 PM
Its just the PETROL. :D

Its a killer.

ads_green
9th February 2008, 12:25 PM
Whats wrong with the standard traction control on the VXR8?

Mystvxr
9th February 2008, 02:12 PM
Hi John, welcome to the site mate and congrats on the car, the package you have there is superb for a all at once buy, one hell of a lot of car for the money! So what is name carbon meant to represent?

With lowering, the spring rate doesn't match the damping well on bumpy roads, usually uneven surfaces on dual carriageways or the motorway, there's this one stretch of the M40 where mine gets a bounce going and it's most unsettling, only really happens if you are making swift progress ;)

I'll be having full coilovers fitted when they are available.

Hope to see some more VXR8's at the BTCC meets this year, get your names down lads!

john22
9th February 2008, 02:41 PM
Hi,
Just returned home sudden lose of power checked the supercharger the rear belt has snapped !! just great so in fainess AA vis network q now picking car up and taking down to supplying dealer Greens .... so much for my sunday drive ](*,)

Mystvxr
9th February 2008, 02:47 PM
That doesn't sound good, I had mine supercharged at Walkinshaw this week and asked the question what if, well the AA don't carry spare belts so you're pretty stuffed, though I think you can still drive a short distance, did yours lose all power?

john22
9th February 2008, 03:26 PM
No it drives but the difference is really noticable - at first I thought it might be an engine management thing but I wasn't hammering the car or anything - the front belt is fine but on checking the rear the two supercharger wheels you can see at the rear with the Harrop are without a belt and i can see some damage to the sound deadning at the back of the car !! what a pain it looks like the supercharger has to come off to fit the belt? and god only knows where the remains of the belt are as i can't see anything!

Still gave the wife the perfect opportunity to remind me of her words of wisdom about not buying the car in the first place.....:mad: god if only i could like her be right all the time :expletive deleted:

Noose
9th February 2008, 03:46 PM
Still gave the wife the perfect opportunity to remind me of her words of wisdom about not buying the car in the first place.....:mad: god if only i could like her be right all the time :expletive deleted:

Wives always says to their man... "don't buy a performance car, blah this blah that... and when u have kids blah blah blah... not to mention the higher the performance the more things will go wrong with it... and blah blah blah"

then when they drive it they smile from ear to ear just like us!

On the other hand it seems there is a lot of belt snapping from both Wortec and Walkinshaw... is this a common problem you guys? Is it a cheaper belt that is prone to snap and can u get a good quality belt that can last till next service? Not being a *** or sarcastic but it is a genuine concern.

Mystvxr
9th February 2008, 04:06 PM
Walkinshaw has only had 1 belt go on a demo when a journo was driving, it was thrown by a stone they think, as opposed to snapping, but it does concern me, be a pain if it happened at the Nurburgring or many miles from home.