PDA

View Full Version : Rear Discs

RAWPOWER
18th February 2008, 03:15 PM
Ive just choked on my bacon sandwich

Grating noise coming from rear wheel..............checked disc on n/s, completely nakkerred and scored.........the others ok

800 plus the dreaded for a new one...............SURELY SURELY this must be a warranty item?

Caliper may be stuck, OR when I purchsed the car (2nd hand) the car had been ragged ...only done 5k since purchase, although the car had 13k on when i bought it...
Still a lovely car, although I begin wonder why my jacksey is like a wizards sleeve.....Maybe Heathrow can tell me?

tjay
18th February 2008, 03:27 PM
you being ripped off I think mate.had race discs/pads/fluid/braided hoses and fitting for around 500.where did you get that price ?

RAWPOWER
18th February 2008, 03:28 PM
Today from Greens at Holborough in Kent

RAWPOWER
18th February 2008, 03:30 PM
for the vxr 8

ads_green
18th February 2008, 04:39 PM
Unlikely to be covered by warranty as it would probably caused by a stone getting caught between the caliper and disc. Ragging the car isn't gong to score a disc. Finally the waranty docs say that from new the discs are only covered to 3000 miles. 18k miles is a lot of miles.

500 quid for full set discs/pads/hoses? I'd raise an eyebrow that it was very cheap.

tjay
18th February 2008, 04:47 PM
Unlikely to be covered by warranty as it would probably caused by a stone getting caught between the caliper and disc. Ragging the car isn't gong to score a disc. Finally the waranty docs say that from new the discs are only covered to 3000 miles. 18k miles is a lot of miles.

500 quid for full set discs/pads/hoses? I'd raise an eyebrow that it was very cheap.

stick to original posters request.

BO55 VXR
18th February 2008, 05:50 PM
Give www.monkfishperformance.co.uk (http://www.monkfishperformance.co.uk) a call....

BO55 VXR
18th February 2008, 06:26 PM
Give www.monkfishperformance.co.uk (http://www.monkfishperformance.co.uk) a call....

They have a shop on ebay... VXR Brakes (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330210637883&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=014)

Flinty
18th February 2008, 06:33 PM
Did you get a network Q warranty when you bought the car?

ads_green
18th February 2008, 08:09 PM
stick to original posters request.

I thought I did as he asked if it should be covered under warranty.

There was a comment that a full set of race discs, hoses, fluid and pads should be 500quid including fitting which I find to be incredibly cheap. I don't believe you could even get a single OEM VXR8 disc suplied for that amount so don't think that you should start setting his expection and claiming he's been ripped off.

IanJ
18th February 2008, 08:15 PM
Am still shocked that the rear discs are 500+ on a VXR8 :o

ringram
18th February 2008, 09:30 PM
There is a thread in Oz saying the outside pads wear much more than the inside pads on the VXR8.
The guy had his replaced under warranty.
http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=92735

RAWPOWER
19th February 2008, 04:02 PM
Hiya,
I have been told the rear discs are £800 each for the VXR8
The best price I have been quoted is 1200 plus the dreaded Vat the pair.

I know my car has done a bit of mileage but its there to be driven ...however, if the car had been properly pdi'd the pads would have been changed.

Having done only four thousand miles since purchase therefore it seems to me to be a bit strong on a 8 month old car that the car is worn out at one of its most important area's.
Alright in real terms its covered 17k miles but Owned by me for 4k miles for three months is a tad cheeky I feel as if I have been well lubed, straddled and banged

Gutted and skint

The car was purchased with 13k on clock in November 2007 as a USED car. (car first registered June 2007)..The car was a demo/sales car.
The car WAS purchased with NetworkQ warranty as well included..however even with that being the case, to pay 30k and now be told the knackered rear disc is going to cost £800 X2 plus vat Plus new pads sort of takes the complete dairy of the car

RAWPOWER
19th February 2008, 04:19 PM
Did you get a network Q warranty when you bought the car?

Yes

Flinty
19th February 2008, 07:56 PM
I'm fairly certain you can claim for disc's & other brake components if you've got it!

tjay
19th February 2008, 09:32 PM
I thought I did as he asked if it should be covered under warranty.

There was a comment that a full set of race discs, hoses, fluid and pads should be 500quid including fitting which I find to be incredibly cheap. I don't believe you could even get a single OEM VXR8 disc suplied for that amount so don't think that you should start setting his expection and claiming he's been ripped off.

did I say they were for a feckin vxr8.NO.there's always one ar5ehole.

Mystvxr
19th February 2008, 10:01 PM
No need to call someone an ar5ehole mate, fact is if you're gonna post in a vxr8 thread people are gonna assume you had a clue. The AP disks and calipers fitted to the vxr8 aren't cheap to replace, I spent 2k on AP brakes just for the front of a vectra, so a disk costing more than 500 quid for the vxr8 doesn't surprise me one bit.

ads_green
19th February 2008, 11:47 PM
did I say they were for a feckin vxr8.NO.there's always one ar5ehole.
chill out and grow up

trescoman
20th February 2008, 08:32 AM
No need to call someone an ar5ehole mate, fact is if you're gonna post in a vxr8 thread people are gonna assume you had a clue.

:confused:
^
^
^
^
^

Have to agree, sorry Tjay but that's my reading of it as well !!!

ads_green
20th February 2008, 11:13 AM
I've been digging about and despite TJays way of putting things he may have a point re ripped off.

Looking at many Oz sites I've not been able to find the exact same disc as used on the clubsport r8/vxr8 however the old and everso slightly smaller VXR discs are 250-300 a pair.

Might be worth getting parts from there as I can't see that including shipping and vat you're going to have more than the 1200 you've been quoted.

tjay
20th February 2008, 11:17 AM
and this is what you get for trying to be HELPFUL.I have put time and effort into trying to help this fellow enthusiast.if you don't like my comment,TOUGH.

I am not afraid to speak my mind !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fyi.it was not clear from the start that it was a VXR8 thread.I'm not psycic.

ads_green
20th February 2008, 01:49 PM
Since when is calling someone an ar5ehole considered to be helpful? - esp when I'd not said anything about you or your comments other than in the context of the thread it what you said would have been very cheap to expect on a vxr8.

Speaking mind in one thing but I don't see the need to have a hissy fit and hurl abuse when somebody doesn't agree with you. I don't have a problem with your comments as sticks n stones and all that but it does just make you like rather childish.

Noose
20th February 2008, 01:59 PM
could be the upgrade in performance has let power get to the head...

trescoman
20th February 2008, 02:01 PM
fyi.it was not clear from the start that it was a VXR8 thread.I'm not psycic.

TJay, I don't want to fall out with you over this, but this is the Monaro/VXR8 page and if you had looked at his profile you would have seen that he "drives a VXR8"

kinda solid clues that !

RAWPOWER
20th February 2008, 02:25 PM
guys n girls........no need to fall out
I really appreciate everybodies replies.
Everybody has been great.

I am sorta feked off that (having asked at point of purchase) whether the brakes had been checked and informed YES, that after 4k miles of driving and having checked all round today..every pad is dangerously low .so I have been lied to
Thats what gets me
I feel a recorded delivery letter coming on to Now Vauxhall Heathrow, Solicitor, Vauxhall UK and Trading Standards, but will start with Now Vauxhall and see what response I get and is given before I fire all big Guns

Thanks guys

RAWPOWER
20th February 2008, 03:33 PM
Absolutely great news
I telephoned Network Q and explained all.
The guy at the end of the phone was brilliant
He stated 'well it could be a design fault' ..(although I think differently) however..he has opened a warranty claim for discs and pads, so.christmas has come very early for me.

As a footnote, When you get higher mileages, be careful to keep an eye on your brake lining thickness............if it is a design fault..it may need sorting

Thank you everybody

trescoman
20th February 2008, 03:48 PM
Absolutely great news
He stated 'well it could be a design fault' ..(although I think differently) however..he has opened a warranty claim for discs and pads, so.christmas has come very early for me.

great news well done:D

As a footnote, When you get higher mileages, be careful to keep an eye on your brake lining thickness............if it is a design fault..it may need sorting

bloody hell, I'll look out for that, good heads up =D>

Flinty
20th February 2008, 06:11 PM
Absolutely great news

Thank you everybody

Thought it might be worth a try ;)

ads_green
20th February 2008, 07:40 PM
Fab news :up
Sorry - I misunderstood earlier and thought that a disc had a gouge taken out not that all 4 discs had worn dangerously low. Hence my view that warranty would be unlikely as it would be a 50/50 situation who did the hooning (great word - sums up the VXR8 nicely :))

My front discs warped after only 2.7k miles and first they tried skimming them which I have to say I wasn't thrilled about but more than happy to give the benefit of the doubt. Didn't help and two shiny new discs were fitted. So far done another 1000 miles and not probs but will keep an eye on.

However at 800quid a corner I think it's worth uslot digging about for an aftermarket set of discs that are alot cheaper or maybe importing from Oz.

RAWPOWER
20th February 2008, 10:19 PM
FOUND A COMPANY CALLED HOBART will post a link...they do the discs for about 300 aussie dollars/quid..plus p np

SORRY SHOULD READ holmart

ringram
20th February 2008, 10:53 PM
I imported some disks for my R8 a while ago. Shipping is a nightmare. Will be about $200 a disk. You will still probably only pay half, but shippnig and vat will more than double the cost. Still worth doing though :)

RAWPOWER
15th March 2008, 01:40 PM
Absolutely great news

Thank you everybody

I'LL TAKE BACK WHAT I SAID....THEY TALK WITH FORKED TONGUE AND WENT BACK ON WHAT THEY SAID..BE CAREFUL...SEE MY OTHER THREAD