PDA

View Full Version : warning about a garage in Hull!

Geordie076
31st August 2011, 03:17 PM
after cooking my brakes at Silverstone, i booked my car in to a local garage in West Hull,

namely, Castle st motors, opposite the Total petrol station on Hessle rd.

all i wanted was my brake fluid changed (anything further could wait until my bro could sort it)

went to collect the car and they hadn't changed the fluid because,
the prognosis was that all my discs and pads were shagged and that they had ordered the parts and could do the job the next day,
i told them that that wasn't necessary as my brother was in the trade and i would get the work done by him. looking quite miffed they handed over my keys and i left.

now back in Newcastle i went to bro's garage, and guess what! all that was needed were front brake pads (which were cooked) the discs are fine as are the rears and pads,

this garage clearly tried to rip me off :mad:

i have since heard that a quote they did for a repair on a car a while ago was over 1000, the owner scrapped the car instead (it was an old car), he has since found out that his old car was repaired at a cost of less than 100 :o

now i doubt anyone in Hull will use this garage but incase of needs must,
STAY WELL CLEAR!

Smarty_Berg_062
4th September 2011, 06:54 PM
C this is exactly why I would always use a known or highly recommended garage! u can't trust any1 these days, even some vauxhall dealerships are as bad! makes u sick to the core!! anyway, glad u didn't fall for the BS mate!

vxrmartyn
4th September 2011, 07:04 PM
i always thought it was good practice to change the disks and pads as a pair so they wear evenley?

coreythorny
4th September 2011, 07:06 PM
i always thought it was good practice to change the disks and pads as a pair so they wear evenley?

To a point yes, depends on the wear of each.

vxrmartyn
4th September 2011, 07:07 PM
ah right fair do's

Gav 164burg
4th September 2011, 07:13 PM
if the discs are fine then i just change the pads... but if the discs are shagged then i change both even if pads are like new still

paulk
4th September 2011, 07:15 PM
never put old pads on new discs ive been told

kevT
4th September 2011, 09:36 PM
never put old pads on new discs ive been told

this is correct as the old pads will have been bedded into your old disc's so wont be braking fully across the disc.