PDA

View Full Version : Vectra VXR Squeaking!

thereplicant
23rd March 2012, 08:37 AM
Morning guys, my car is squeaking.
Going forward and turning at low speed, high pitch squeal type sound. It did it a while back and I told Vauxhall when they did the service and they never heard it and to be fair I didn't either when I picked the car up but I covered another few hundred miles and it's started again, very loud, loud enough that everyone looks at you!
Any ideas?
It's just out of warranty as well. So an 09 with low mileage.
Any advice is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone....

Richie Russ
23rd March 2012, 08:38 AM
Not the brake disc covers on the front mate?

thereplicant
23rd March 2012, 08:48 AM
Does sound like its coming from the front, do the covers rub Richie?

Sent from my iPhone....

Richie Russ
23rd March 2012, 09:00 AM
Yes mate, when I changed my front discs and pads a few weeks back I prised the little covers behind the discs away as they tend to rub, no more noise, so worth a go, wheel off 2 second job.

chrisvectra
23rd March 2012, 10:03 AM
its a tiny little lip on the rear of the disc fella found this out when i changed the front discs and pads very recently, take the wheel off and turn on full lock its a tiny lip but makes a hell of a noise if its touching the disc. also check your power steering fluid level as well as low fluid can make it squeel as well.

thereplicant
23rd March 2012, 12:52 PM
Thanks guys I'm just home after 100 miles of squeak! Worse when turning right. Will have a look later and report back.

Sent from my iPhone....

whitesoxvxr
23rd March 2012, 03:04 PM
id say dust shield scraping on the back of disc,i had it on mine,sounded like one of them american trains on the railtrack lol,made people put fingers in there ears it was that loud haha

thereplicant
24th March 2012, 09:21 AM
Do the wheels need to come off for this? Can I not just put full lock on and use a long thing ........

Sent from my iPhone....

vxrossco
24th March 2012, 09:25 AM
Do the wheels need to come off for this? Can I not just put full lock on and use a long thing ........

Its easier with the wheel off I find as you can get better access to move it out the way but you can do it with the wheel on just more awkward

chrisvectra
24th March 2012, 09:52 AM
easier with the wheels off bud

thereplicant
24th March 2012, 11:37 AM
Thanks guys had a look with wheels on and can't see it. Will get it to the garage in the week as I haven't got stands etc to get wheels off. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone....

vxrossco
24th March 2012, 03:39 PM
Here you go Darren a couple of pics from the Nost academy of photoshop to help you know what to look for. The little rectangle often warps with the heat and makes contact with the disc its only soft metal so doesn't take much to bend
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j392/vxrossco/20120324_152436.jpg
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j392/vxrossco/20120324_152458.jpg
Excuse the writing its hard to do using a laptop touch pad:lol:

thereplicant
24th March 2012, 03:45 PM
Awww thanks so much!! Just what I need, I am going to have a look now. Thanks, very kind of you.

Sent from my iPhone....

vxrossco
24th March 2012, 03:47 PM
Awww thanks so much!! Just what I need, I am going to have a look now. Thanks, very kind of you.

Sent from my iPhone....

No problem at all happy to help

thereplicant
24th March 2012, 04:18 PM
Thanks Rossco you are a star mate, think its sorted, went in kinda blind and felt for the bit in the photo and prised it off the disc a little. Been for a drive and the squeak is gone!! Yea thanks mate!!

Sent from my iPhone....

thereplicant
24th March 2012, 07:10 PM
Not sure what I have done now but just taken my wife to work and a loud grating noise from both front wheels. Could I have done something horrible trying to bend the dust covers?
I think the Squeak only happens when car is hot. Getting fed up with it now. Too dark to see if I have done any damage.

Sent from my iPhone....

Sporticus
24th March 2012, 07:31 PM
Yes mate, when I changed my front discs and pads a few weeks back I prised the little covers behind the discs away as they tend to rub, no more noise, so worth a go, wheel off 2 second job.

+1...same with mine...

thereplicant
24th March 2012, 07:47 PM
Well I know my squeak is not from the discs now, it is a different noise to what I have now with the cover rubbing on the disc.

Sent from my iPhone....

Richie Russ
24th March 2012, 10:04 PM
loud grating noise from both front wheels.

Sent from my iPhone....

Assume your pads are ok?

thereplicant
25th March 2012, 09:15 AM
Assume your pads are ok?

Yea think so Richie, just picked wife up this morning and not a sound! Bloody bizzare!

Sent from my iPhone....

Marko2020
25th March 2012, 09:29 AM
This dust guard goes right around the disc so there's every chance when u bent one part maybe pushed another part of it towards disc best bet take wheel off one at a time and sort it all u probably hear it more when hot as disc will expand !!

vxrossco
25th March 2012, 10:26 AM
Could I have done something horrible trying to bend the dust covers?

don't worry Darren theres nothing fragile round there it was probably just the way it bent that the other corner made contact

chrisvectra
25th March 2012, 10:50 AM
thats why we all said take the wheel off fella makes it easier too see!!

thereplicant
25th March 2012, 12:40 PM
Thanks guys, appreciate your help as always.

Sent from my iPhone....