PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO Retrofit AFL lights and getting them working

pecky
30th November 2009, 01:09 PM
Here's how to fully retrofit AFL's and have full functionality

It's for a CDTi but is the same for the VXR

I've have a set of AFL's complete with OE ballasts & power modules so I thought I'd have a go at fitting them.

I got out the wiring diagrams and worked out what needed to be changed at the headlight.
http://www.diagnostics.org.uk/astra/afl/AFL_Left.jpg

The differences are:
Pins 9 & 10 - Need new earths
Pins 7 & 8 - Need swapping over.

Not many pictures so far but this is what I have done to-date.

1. Obtained a couple of headlight loom connectors from a scrap car with a few inches of cable attached.

2. With a terminal extraction tool I removed the wires from the scrap connectors.
http://www.diagnostics.org.uk/astra/afl/terminal.jpg

3. Removed the bumper & headlights and stripped down the car loom connector.

4. Drilled through the empty 9 & 10 pins on the car loom so I can insert a new wire & connector.

5. Fitted the 2 new pins, they wobble a little in the hole but as long as care is taken when fitting the light the pins will fit together just fine.

6. Connected the 2 new wires together and also to one of the 1.5mm brown earths already in the loom.

7. Used the terminal extractor to remove & swap over pins 7 & 8

8. With all the wires insulated and the loom cloth taped back up I fitted the AFL's

9. As expected, they come on for 2 secs and then shut down.

10. With my Tech2 I connected to the UEC and changed the variant configuration to AFL present.

11. The AFL's now stay lit.

12. Next I fitted the levelling sensor (p/n 13255278 ) and the bracket (p/n 13220082)
http://www.diagnostics.org.uk/astra/afl/13255278-Levelling_sensor.jpg

30/01/10 UPDATE

I bought the missing control module and went about fitting it along with all the missing wiring. It took me a couple of hours to do having made up some looms before I started.

1. Remove the rear bench
2. Jack car up and put onto axle stands.
3. Feed made up loom through grommet above where the levelling sensor goes.
4. Plug conector onto levelling sensor and run the loom around the the passenger footwell.
5. Drop car off the axle stands.
6. Remove battery and fuse box.
7. Add pins to XE2 connector and a couple of other mods.
8. Run cables from XE2 through fire wall to passenger footwell.
9. Connect up to the control unit.
10. A fair bit of Tech 2 later and it is programmed.

IT WORKS:lol::grin::lol:

They work exactly as OE fitment, i.e. the light comes on the dash when you insert the keys and they self test when the engine starts.

-Andy M-
30th November 2009, 01:11 PM
Good stuff mate, be interesting to see how you get on with the turning bit.

PaulieMB
30th November 2009, 01:21 PM
Good job Pecky, ..really hope you get this up and running :D x

pecky
30th November 2009, 01:52 PM
Here's hoping, just need the missing parts.

I sold the Bi-xenons to fund the new gearbox, but missed the xenon too much.

PaulieMB
30th November 2009, 02:05 PM
Here's hoping, just need the missing parts.

I sold the Bi-xenons to fund the new gearbox, but missed the xenon too much.

Don't blame you there Bud, ..I'd find it really hard to part with them now. I'll keep my eyes peeled for you. :) x

aldred309uk
30th November 2009, 02:05 PM
good luck with this as i would love to have AFL fitted to my car otherwise im going to go for the old 10k bi xenons. keep us all updated and rough guides on costs would be amazing!

Ryan87
17th December 2009, 11:20 PM
This looks really good. Will be good to see it all working.

Would love to have AFL on my car.

Shaunyboy12
19th January 2010, 01:25 AM
So where does the leveling sensor fit?

pecky
19th January 2010, 08:54 AM
So where does the leveling sensor fit?
There are 2 threaded studs alread on the body near the fuel tank. I just had to wire brush those a bit, pop the sensor on and put the nuts on. The bracket on the axle can only go one way, so you just put it into position and tighten up.

I plan on taking some more pics when I get under again to wire it all up.

Spool
19th January 2010, 12:08 PM
isnt there a sensor on the steering wheel!?

pecky
19th January 2010, 12:49 PM
isnt there a sensor on the steering wheel!?yes there is a turning angle sensor and YAW sensor, these are fitted to all cars with ESP as they are required in order for it to work.

The CANBUS feeds into the AFL controller will provide the information it needs to make the lights turn.

Spool
19th January 2010, 02:19 PM
ooh! good work!!
seems like you have been doing some quality digging! :)

keep us all posted!
there are lots of people, me included who will want AFLs if they can be correctly retro fitted!!

Shaunyboy12
20th January 2010, 02:02 AM
So basically to fit them properly without having to use a cheap HID kit, you need the sensor? brand new? the control modual and what else, im not quite following this. Or would it be easyer with just a HID kit?

pecky
20th January 2010, 09:20 AM
So basically to fit them properly without having to use a cheap HID kit, you need the sensor? brand new? the control modual and what else, im not quite following this. Or would it be easyer with just a HID kit?To have the AFL working, you cannot do it with aftermartet HID kit as you need the OE controllers and power modules which are attached to the light.

Basically to be economical you need to source lights that have been removed from a car and still have both the power & control module and bulbs still attached.

Further to that, I believe you need the levelling sensor on the rear axle, and the further control unit in the passenger footwell and the necessary wires.

Then a bit of Tech2 and fingers crossed they should be fully working. I'm just waiting on the last control unit before I can prove it.

pecky
30th January 2010, 06:19 PM
Just an update on this.

I bought the missing control module and went about fitting it along with all the missing wiring. It took me a couple of hours to do having made up some looms before I started.

1. Remove the rear bench
2. Jack car up and put onto axle stands.
3. Feed made up loom through grommet above where the levelling sensor goes.
4. Plug conector onto levelling sensor and run the loom around the the passenger footwell.
5. Drop car off the axle stands.
6. Remove battery and fuse box.
7. Add pins to XE2 connector and a couple of other mods.
8. Run cables from XE2 through fire wall to passenger footwell.
9. Connect up to the control unit.
10. A fair bit of Tech 2 later and it is programmed.

IT WORKS:lol::grin::lol:

With Tech 2 I can fully test the dynamic curve left and right, I've calibrated the leveling and there are no DTC's

Not been on a test drive yet, What should I expect to see. Does the dash light come on when they move? is there a minimum speed?

VXR PAUL
30th January 2010, 06:44 PM
your going to be a rich man...oh and a very busy 1 at that;):grin: good work hope all goes well in the test drive look forward to doing business;):grin:

Ryan87
30th January 2010, 07:04 PM
look forward to doing business;):grin:

+ 1 :d

pecky
30th January 2010, 07:16 PM
Getting the parts can be pretty expensive. I'll tidy up the how to and add some more pics next week. I've also got some more pics to insert once I've downloaded them.

CrYsB
30th January 2010, 08:10 PM
They self test on start up, they move left and right before centering. No lights come up on the dash when they move youll see the beams move when you steer (wait for a foggy day!) There is a symbol in the speedo clock on start up, a light with arrows to the left and right. It goes out. I think it will flash up if theres a problem.

-Andy M-
30th January 2010, 08:11 PM
They start working once you move, if you turn your steering wheel when stationary, the beams do not move.

Ryan87
31st January 2010, 12:50 AM
The question on my mind (and im sure others too) is now you know how to do it and what is needed, would you offer it as a service for those who bought the parts?

And would you be able to give a list of what's needed and prices?

Thank you

pecky
31st January 2010, 09:06 AM
The question on my mind (and im sure others too) is now you know how to do it and what is needed, would you offer it as a service for those who bought the parts?

And would you be able to give a list of what's needed and prices?

Thank youI don't see why not. I can certainly draw up the full parts requirement that if you turned up at my house with, I would then fit, wire up and Tech2.

Believe me when I say, it is VERY expensive if you buy all the parts from Vauxhall. The reality is, if you find a car that is being broken which had them and you grab all the parts you need, rather than just the headlights, it would then be viable cost wise.

Oldboy
31st January 2010, 01:43 PM
Hi Pecky,
great job you did there, however, when I went to Vauxhall and asked to have them fitted retrospectivly I was told that the entire wiring loom would need to be replaced and they were currently looking at annulling a warranty against a person who had it done!!! This was despite it being a proffesional fit.
Beware of manufactures sliding their way out of their warraties and what about informing your insurance company especialy if Vauxhall do the dirty !!!

pecky
31st January 2010, 02:19 PM
Hi Pecky,
great job you did there, however, when I went to Vauxhall and asked to have them fitted retrospectivly I was told that the entire wiring loom would need to be replaced and they were currently looking at annulling a warranty against a person who had it done!!! This was despite it being a proffesional fit.
Beware of manufactures sliding their way out of their warraties and what about informing your insurance company especialy if Vauxhall do the dirty !!!
I'm well out of warranty, so don't give a damn about that. My insurance company are also aware as I declare everything.

With regards to replacing the entire loom, just shows what vauxhall techs know. But then, they have no need to research it because they have no interest in doing the work.

Ryan87
31st January 2010, 04:38 PM
I don't see why not. I can certainly draw up the full parts requirement that if you turned up at my house with, I would then fit, wire up and Tech2.

Believe me when I say, it is VERY expensive if you buy all the parts from Vauxhall. The reality is, if you find a car that is being broken which had them and you grab all the parts you need, rather than just the headlights, it would then be viable cost wise.

8)

Is what I wanted to hear.

Will wait for the price list and get saving then. :grin:

pecky
2nd February 2010, 12:07 AM
Will wait for the price list and get saving then. :grin:I've put it on my website, I never got full quotes and had to guess on a few parts, so may be more, may be less than 1100 i've now calculated.

http://www.diagnostics.org.uk/astra-h/retrofit-afl-headlights

scottg2540
2nd February 2010, 08:48 AM
i will see what price i can get them for of a mate of mine and let you guys know

Ryan87
2nd February 2010, 07:48 PM
I've put it on my website, I never got full quotes and had to guess on a few parts, so may be more, may be less than 1100 i've now calculated.

http://www.diagnostics.org.uk/astra-h/retrofit-afl-headlights

Looks good and looks cheaper than i thought.

How would you go about amending the wires though or are the looms in the list provided. (Couldnt see any mention of wiring)

Sorry to be a pain and keep on by the way ::oops:

pecky
2nd February 2010, 07:56 PM
Looks good and looks cheaper than i thought.

How would you go about amending the wires though or are the looms in the list provided. (Couldnt see any mention of wiring)

Sorry to be a pain and keep on by the way ::oops:To do this, yo do NOT have to splice onto, cut or change ANY of the original loom.

It is a case of making up the loom yourself as you can't buy it separately.

Ryan87
2nd February 2010, 07:59 PM
To do this, yo do NOT have to splice onto, cut or change ANY of the original loom.

It is a case of making up the loom yourself as you can't buy it separately.

Oh right.

I will get saving and contact you when the bits are together if your happy to offer it as a service.

Out of curiosity how much would you be looking at charging (i can appreciate its quite a big job and also dont mind if youd rather not disclose the price publicly)

Ill let that be my last question now as im sure your getting fed up of them!