Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO - Fit Lowering Springs

You only get a arrrrrr with VXR rosco.p's Avatar

Default HOW TO - Fit Lowering Springs

Front

1. Jack up car and put on axle stands
    2. remove wheels
    3. remove 3 bolts in strut (2 lower ones that hold the hub onto the strut and the other top one holds the plastic arm onto the strut. you cant see the lowest bolt in the pic)

4. remove the wires and brake hose from strut ( plastic clip)
    5. push the hub down so the strut is now hanging free.
    6. under the bonnet remove the plastic clips holding the strut in place (best get a hand from someone to hold it while you remove the clips or the strut will just fall out)
    The clip splits in half, use a screw driver to prize apart, be careful not to damage it.

7. remove strut from car
    8. use a spring tensioner tool to clamp the old spring

9. with the spring fully compressed remove the top nut on the strut, this is the hardest part as 9 times out of ten the nut is corroded on!!! you need to soak in wd40 and use a goose neck ring spanner to get a good fit on the nut and hold the center of the strut with a torx bit. (best to slacken it while the car is still on the ground)
    (another idea is to nip down to your local garage or kwit-fit etc with the struts and get them to remove the old springs and fit the new ones if you don't have the tools)
    10. lay out the parts as they come off so you know which way they go back on!

11. slacken the spring clamps off the old spring and fit to the new spring and compress it.
    12. fit your new spring and make sure its sitting in correctly, you will see a seat for the spring to sit in (look to see if there are marking to say which way is up as some springs have a top and bottom)
    13. refit all parts to the strut, once tight release the spring clamps.
    14. refit strut to the car and fit all nuts and bolts and wires etc.

15. make sure all parts are tight and fit wheel and lower car back to ground.

Job Done ! now for the other side

Rears are very simple

1. Jack up the car and place on axle stands (at the rear axle mount will be fine)
    2. Remove Wheels

3. Jack up the rear axle just to take the weight slightly
    4. Remove the bottom bolt from the rear strut on both sides

5. Lower the jack to lower the rear axle (a little wiggle and poke here to get the axle free)
    6. The springs will now just fall out
    7. Remove the rubber cups and inspect for wear or damage, fit to new springs if ok
    8. Fit the springs to the car using the steps above in reverse
    (look to see if there are marking to say which way is up as some springs have a top and bottom)
    9. Refit wheels and lower car to the ground, job done

Hope that helps you, any questions feel free to ask!

Arden Blue // Aero Pack // Blue Nappa leather Seats // Dual Zone Climate Control // Navi 600 // Rear Tints // Electric Folding Mirrors // Tire Pressure Monitoring System // Premium Lighting Pack // Rear Parking Sensors // Driving Assistance Pack

VXR enough

Thanks for this. Sorry if it's a daft question, but when the rear is up on axle stands, what is the purpose of then raising the axle (point 3)?
    Harry
    | Adjustable RARB | Breather Box | Insignia Washer Jets | Oil Restrictor Bolt | Cobra 2.75" Decat Downpipe |

Quote Originally Posted by Amraam View Post
    Thanks for this. Sorry if it's a daft question, but when the rear is up on axle stands, what is the purpose of then raising the axle (point 3)?
    So when you take the bottom bolts out the struts the axle don't shot down with the force of the springs
    It proberly won't cuz the springs aren't loaded but its a precaution just in case

Arden Blue // Aero Pack // Blue Nappa leather Seats // Dual Zone Climate Control // Navi 600 // Rear Tints // Electric Folding Mirrors // Tire Pressure Monitoring System // Premium Lighting Pack // Rear Parking Sensors // Driving Assistance Pack

VXRed

Thanks for the guide! Does anyone know the name of the plastic clips in the engine bay that secure the top of the strut as one of mine broke and i'll need to replace it. Thanks

I've got part numbers for them somewhere, but you dont need to undo them if you have the correct spanner to get at the top nut

EDS Inlet Manifold, Thermal Gasket, EDS Inlet Cam, EVOMS Diverter Valve, Forge FMIC, Quaife ATB, Custom 3" Turbo Back, Whiteline RARB, Uprated FARB, AP Racing Brakes, Percy CDTi Airbox Conversion, Oil Breather Box, Dap-r Springs, Bilstein B8's, CS Brake Cooling Ducts, Cool Running Thermo, CS Uprated Radiator

VXR enough

Going to be tackling this at the weekend - great guide and looks a lot simpler than other cars I've worked on before!

Question though:

Apart from the fact that the top of my strut is rusty as hell, what kind of spanner would actually fit in the available space? Would a normal offset 21mm ring spanner fit in the gap? Just looks too deep and narrow a hole to use anything but a socket, but then obviously you can't get a T45 torx onto the bolt?

Just wanted to ask before I go and buy one specifically for this job.

hi. just wondering what size torx bits etc i will be needing as i dont fancy starting this and not having everything ready lol. any help would be great please

Quote Originally Posted by louise1982 View Post
    hi. just wondering what size torx bits etc i will be needing as i dont fancy starting this and not having everything ready lol. any help would be great please
    For the bolts on top of the front struts you will need a 21mm swan neck ring spanner & a T50 male torx socket. (You only need to hold the torx in place to stop the piston spinning while turning the 21mm swan neck ring spanner to undo the nut) For all nuts and bolts below at wheel level on the damper all you will need is a 18mm socket and a 18mm ring spanner, a 17mm open end spanner is required to grip the rear of the drop link nut while this is un-done with a 18mm socket. Be careful not to use a spanner that is too wide, as its easy to slip off this nut and push off the rubber ball joint gaitor on the drop link, its impossible to pull the rubber back on due to poor design so if this happens you will require new droplinks as I think they only come in pairs.

Basically all tools required for the fronts are:

* 1/2 Drive + Extension Bar.
    * T50 Male Torx Socket
    * 21mm Swan Neck Ring Spanner.
    * 18mm Socket.
    * 18mm Ring End Spanner.
    * 17mm Open End Spanner.
    * Spring Compressors.
    * Pair Of Grips. (For strut clips)
    * Wire Brush. (To clean out base of strut)
    * Jubilee Clip. (To be fitted under piston gaiter to stop piston rod dropping down. This is optional but can be a life saver as they are a pain to pull out)
    * Rubber Mallet. (Handy to have nearby)

For the rears all you will need is a E20 female torx socket to undo the bolt on bottom of damper. Obviously axel stands and a trolley jack are essential.
    Last edited by MattieB29; 20th May 2012 at 10:06 PM.
    Rest-In-Peace 'James Tierney' 18.9.1991 - 16.10.2010
    Rest-In-Paradise Angel, 'Kirsty Malin' 5.12.1990 - 21.8.2010
    "Out The Way 4|2 Commando RM Taliban Hunter VXR Coming Through"

VXR enough

Quote Originally Posted by MattieB29 View Post
    For the bolts on top of the front struts you will need a 21mm swan neck ring spanner & a T50 male torx socket. (You only need to hold the torx in place to stop the piston spinning while turning the 21mm swan neck ring spanner to undo the nut) For all nuts and bolts below at wheel level on the damper all you will need is a 18mm socket and a 18mm ring spanner, a 17mm open end spanner is required to grip the rear of the drop link nut while this is un-done with a 18mm socket. Be careful not to use a spanner that is too wide, as its easy to slip off this nut and push off the rubber ball joint gaitor on the drop link, its impossible to pull the rubber back on due to poor design so if this happens you will require new droplinks as I think they only come in pairs.

Basically all tools required for the fronts are:

* 1/2 Drive + Extension Bar.
    * T50 Male Torx Socket
    * 21mm Swan Neck Ring Spanner.
    * 18mm Socket.
    * 18mm Ring End Spanner.
    * 17mm Open End Spanner.
    * Spring Compressors.
    * Pair Of Grips. (For strut clips)
    * Wire Brush. (To clean out base of strut)
    * Jubilee Clip. (To be fitted under piston gaiter to stop piston rod dropping down. This is optional but can be a life saver as they are a pain to pull out)
    * Rubber Mallet. (Handy to have nearby)

For the rears all you will need is a E20 female torx socket to undo the bolt on bottom of damper. Obviously axel stands and a trolley jack are essential.
    It's amazing the response you can get on a forum for having a pair of breasts!

Top post - good work.

Hellfrauds were ******* useless for the tools required for this job i.e. offset ring spanners and the E20 Torx. I ended up buying a through-socket ratchet set from them on trade card (hoping it'll come in useful again in the future....) and borrowing an E20 off a colleague as the largest Hellfrauds do is an E16.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesy_m View Post
    It's amazing the response you can get on a forum for having a pair of breasts!
    Hahaha !!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast