Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    VXRed

Angry Warranty with Mods and Remaps?

Please be patient and have a read of this thread, it could help us all out!

I hear a lot of problems on here with people not being covered under Vauxhall's warranty because of modifications or remaps to their cars. This from my understanding under the new EU Block Exemption Regulation IF you remap your vehicle they cannot void your warranty UNLESS the remap totally kills your vehicle!

Furthermore to this IF you have upgraded parts of your vehicle with third party parts which are better than the OEM parts then they also cannot void your warranty due to the parts being of a ferior quality to those originally used!

If you have installed an third party exhaust as long as its a bolt-on / bolt-off then the warranty is not affected due to aftermarket exhausts being of exceptional quality than the original manufacturers one. You are NOT covered if you install required the cutting and modification of OEM parts to get your new parts to fit.

Now from this EU law which is quite readily available on the internet for us all to see, it seems that people are being wrongly discriminated against remapping and upgrading their vehicles OEM parts to parts which are clearly bolt-on / bolt-off upgrades!

I wondered IF anyone has used this against vauxhall in a warranty claim with mods or remap? Questions are:

1. How did they know you had a remap, since most dealers don't have the equipment or know-how to read an ECU and know the original parameters used.

2. IF you were refused did anyone use the BER (block exemption regulation) against them?

3. How did they manage to FOB you off and did you just accept the answer?

Reason I bring this to your attention is I had quite a heated discussion with Vauxhall when I picked up my car about what there warranty covers, they argued you couldn't remap your car or modify it in anyway apart from alarm, stereo and a REMUS exhaust.

So I put it to them that the EU BER says different, they then changed their story to I can remap my car for economy purposes but NOT performance purposes. So hang on a minute, I thought I couldn't remap the car at all a minute ago, and now I can remap for economy purposes? I said this was a top spec model which under EU BER can have any remap as long as it doesn't make my car act in such a way it was never designed to do. At that point they went quite and I asked how they would detect such a modification.

Now "apparently" they have people who they can send the ECU away to and check every parameter configuration in it. Now isn't this cheaper to just replace the part?

Your thoughts please and thanks for reading!

VXRed

They send them to thorney But only if major like piston failure

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by jaymeakin1 View Post
    They send them to thorney But only if major like piston failure
    So with that in mind, wouldn't you just get the remap nulled (put back to standard) and then take the car in?

Regional Assistant - South Essex nurburgring24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stevegoodwin View Post
    So with that in mind, wouldn't you just get the remap nulled (put back to standard) and then take the car in?
    you could but then it costs and plus if you want warrenty dont mod

Nope because any remap will leave a tag on the ECU, there have been instances of people attempting to pull the wool over dealer's eyes hence the new ECU checks being carried out.

my VXR history: Arden Corsa, Astra Nurburgring, Corsa Arctic, Evoke VXR8, Black Corsa, Silver Vectra, a long weekend with an Insignia, a chilli burger and now a siggy tourer!

they would still know due to the fact that the ecu was recently flashed, im also pretty sure that they can recall the parameters of the engine the moment the ecu light comes on.

the only place that can remap your car is if you take it to thorney motorsport then they warrenty it through vauxhall

Banned

And to add to that most people dont realise but under EU law all electrical products have a 2 not 1 year warranty

It may also help if you linked to the exact part of the document you are eluding to.

my VXR history: Arden Corsa, Astra Nurburgring, Corsa Arctic, Evoke VXR8, Black Corsa, Silver Vectra, a long weekend with an Insignia, a chilli burger and now a siggy tourer!

No tag in the ECU as long as you put the original file back on TMS can't even tell for them. Seen loads blag it through its all about making you come clean out of fear of finding out and being billed for the check.

Independent bespoke mapping available see my Facebook or find me at WG Motorworks

Clique #14

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast