Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default VX220 Turbo and E46 M3

Which is better performance wise, i know the VX would be best on handling but what about speed? I asked on vx220 forum but they seem snobby

Are you considering buying? Or are you after outright performance figures as you can get them off anywhere on the net?

Astra

Im wanting to buy a VX turbo. Probs already at stage 2 although i'd love to stage 4 it in the future. Was just wondering what it was like against the M3 as that was my second choice and the M3 is the same as my stage 3 VXR power wise. Cheers

id have thought the vx, or it certainly would be when mapped, but have you ever tried getting in and out of the vx220? its bloody awkward, i had to take the roof off or id have been stuck in there!! whereas the m3 is fast and very comfy has all the features etc but drives like an n/a pulls gradually, as a passenger the m3 and STANDARD astra vxr feel about the same on the a s s dyno, although i would suspect the m3 to be faster if they were head to head, now a well mapped vxr im not so sure.....

my mate had an e46 m3 for a while but now has traded it against a focus st and loves it!! what does that tell you? id rather have an astra vxr than an e46 m3 anyway, and they **** on fuel

vx220 turbo are mint .....
    WARNING all replys are incorrect as usual

I think the above makes some good comments on usability although I'd have to disagree on the performance being similar to an Astra and I couldn't complain about the MPG, I drove a lot of my brothers E36 when it was new and that used to cost less to run than his Golf 4Motion and Vectra Gsi @26mpg and it had a very hard life!
    When you look at a Turbo car you get instant shove low down, what you get with something like the M3 engine is power through the revs - see if you can get a drive in both of them, I love the VX220 but when I was on all fours on the showroom floor that was when it dawned on me perhaps this wasn't the car for me lol

Astra

I've sat in one and i know it sounds weird but i love the fact you have to crawl in and out of the car and how its basic, boring inside, silly low, ****** heaters and so on. It makes it more exciting and race car like. I've had plenty of cars with DVD players, heated seats but tbh i'd rather a car like the VX220 so all that isnt a problem with me. Im looking at buying a stage 4 turbo but not sure if i'll get it in time. So if not i'll be getting a stage 2 one with low miles. What would the VX stage 2 be like against a stage 3 astra in a straight line from say 50/60 mph?

WARNING all replys are incorrect as usual

the e46 is a completely different car to the e36, i didnt mean performance was similar to an astra i said on the a*s dyno, meaning the actual pull felt about the same but went on to say i thought the m3 would be faster on the road, i think the op's st3 vxr would be a good match accelleration wise, ive spent alot of time in both e46 and my old stage3 vxr. i can get 40+mpg on a steady motorway drive, in the bmw 30mpg was a real struggle so no good for distance

Quote Originally Posted by R34nel View Post
    the e46 is a completely different car to the e36, i didnt mean performance was similar to an astra i said on the a*s dyno, meaning the actual pull felt about the same but went on to say i thought the m3 would be faster on the road, i think the op's st3 vxr would be a good match accelleration wise, ive spent alot of time in both e46 and my old stage3 vxr. i can get 40+mpg on a steady motorway drive, in the bmw 30mpg was a real struggle so no good for distance
    Well since having the astra at stage 3 i've had a play with lots of M3's. At stage 3 i can just just just just pass the E46 but only just. But what would a stage 2 VX turbo be like, would i pass it in the VXR or would the VX pass me? from a rolling start

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast