+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Regional Organiser - Southern scorer's Avatar

Default Astra mk4 VXRacing

Been here a while and never done a build thread so there's a lot to catch up on

I bought my car about three years ago as a 2003, Flame Red, Astra mk4 1.6 16v SXi.

Also, it had a pretty major sound system

The first show I took it to was PVS '09

I then contacted a few companies regarding an LEH conversion. Because of my age my insurence company decide they wouldn't even entertain the idea
    So I set to work doing what I thought worth while to the Z16XE.

I then bought a brand new, genuine GSi front bumper from my local Picador dealership

I then attended my first VXRO meet at Brands Hatch for the BTCC back in '09. I felt slightly embaresed, to say the least, in my 1.6

I then managed to get hold of some pedal covers from a GSi for a good price and in good condition

Then I decided enough is enough I need an LEH so, following reviews in Total Vauxhall, I got hold of Gareth Day (Gman) to enquire about the conversion. About a week later I got a phone call saying he had just picked up the donor car so we were go
    The car was in Reading for about a week or so, as it's not quite as easy, fitting the LEH to a Z16XE equiped car, as it is a car with a ZLET. This was the first pic I was sent while the car was away

The drive home was insane! Last time I drove the car it was about 99bhp

Astra mk4 888 Coupe Rear disc and 5 stud conversion with Black Diamond grooved discs, Predator pads and Goodridge braided brake lines.

888 coupe 160mph dials

Customised Astra VXR exhaust

VXR badges (it ain't no replica)

I then set about sorting some little details as it was a 'pov spec' it needed some bits to bring it up to the new spec

I put my car on display for the first time at a local charity car show

Following a review in Total Vauxhall I bought the larger TX Autosport FMIC with 2.5" Boost pipes and Powerpipe, Top Hat kit. I took it to Regal to have the kit fitted

I then went to a Goodwood Breakfast Club meet in 2010 called 'Souped-Up Sunday' with some VXRO members

It was then a little while before I bought anything else and then a GSi battery bag came up for sale in good condition and quite cheap

This was the engine at the end of last year

This year I started out getting some more little bits together

I then finally got an exhaust sorted It's a 3" Turbo back with 100cell Sports Cat. from TX Autosport. It was a bit fiddly but I got it fitted

I must say the exhaust made a noticible difference and sounds amazing

Next I bought a new headlamp as mine was a bit mouldy. It ment I got a good pic as I was doing it

Next show I was at was at my college. My tutor (who was a Vauxhall master tech for over 20 years ) asked me if i'd show my car as a lot of the work had been carried out by me there

It was then service time. The engine had covered roughly 5000miles from new and about 1000 since it's last service.

My girlfriend then told me Wayne/VXR had put up on Facebook anyone who wanted to be on Regals stand at PVS to send him specs and pics. At first I didn't think my car was worthy, but she talked me into it and kindly Wayne and Regal welcomed me onboard

I then changed my Cam cover gasket, o rings, Regal cool running stat and some VXRacing side sills from Courtenay Sport

I came online for the first time in a little while as I finally got the internet Wayne sent me a PM asking if I wanted to be on Regals stand at Total Vauxhall live. Hell yes I think I replied
    I met up with vxrmatteblacksheep nice and early and cruised up to Castle Combe. Wow what a car he has

Whilst there I bought a gloss black badgeless grill to replace my moldey 'carbon effect' one

After my mate had an LEH coversion consisting of M32 'box I had to get one
    My car went back up to Gman to have an M32 gearbox, Quaiffe ATB LSD, Uprated large capacity radiator, under drive pulley kit and have the air con removed.

Before i'd even got the car back I found a thread on here about mk6 oil filler caps so off to the dealers I wen't

Then, thanks to Rabbid I got some Astra VXR dials. (still to be fitted)

It was then the first VXRO southern meet in a long time

Then at last I got into the Total Vauxhall Hall Of Fame

Car show time again local charity event

Then it was my first outing on track at Abingdon thanks to the guys at Regal

I then finally got my cruise control stalk as i've had it since the engine conversion but never got the stalk Now I use it all the time

Courtesay of Vxracingdan I got some full leather, heated seats and rear bench from his Astra VXRacing

Then it was Thunder Road time. I had no idea how my car would do but I had a great time I did 128.3mph in 38.3secs

I then got a GSi rear bumper, which i've been looking for for a while, from Chris at CS Autos.

Car wen't to Regal yesterday for a Dyno Day. Turns out the car isn't healthy. It was running lean, missfiring badly and making hardley any boost
    It made 250bhp and 250lbs/ft torque. It should be around 280-300bhp so will be getting a health check at Regal this week and getting it fixed

I will keep this thread updated as often as I can

Thank you for looking
    Steve
    Last edited by scorer; 24th July 2012 at 03:49 PM.

VXRO's Fingered Eye

Very nice, great write up
    Arden Blue Vauxhall Vectra VXR 666 Gone But Not Forgotton

VXRacing ahead

good read fella, hope you get the car sorted quick and easy

Cheers guys Cars booked in at Regal for a health check thursday so hopefully it's nothing major

i love it
    Remus turbo back , TX enlarged tophat, CDTI pipework, Pipecross XL Foam/Cone Filter, FMIC, Forge recirc valve, Forge actuator, Regal 3 bar map sensor, HRC fuel pump, Courts coolstat , GM Breather box, custom oil catch can, FK coil overs, Whteline RARB Gloss Black Corsa VXR Alloys, De badged and de-wiper at rear. HID headlights/LED sides. Custom carbon wrapping.

Thanks mate

The boost leak appears to have been from the IC pipework, all that were needed was new clips. Regal replaced the Plugs with some Denso Iridiums so no misfiring any more. The turbo has an oil leak from the core so needs replacing soon. I'll be going back for a stage 3.5 map, new turbo, 80mm MAF and LEH injectors. It is now on standard map and much healthier running 240bhp and 260lbs/ft and a good base for the cams and manifold soon and to start the rebuild in the new year

Last edited by scorer; 24th November 2011 at 05:22 PM.

That's a nail in the tread! thereplicant's Avatar

great right up scorer and a great car, all your hard work is a credit to you.

Thanks very much mate

Great thread and write up, surely you could have bought an Astra VXR with all the time / money spent on it? or maybe even 2

Quote Originally Posted by Richie Russ View Post
    Great thread and write up, surely you could have bought an Astra VXR with all the time / money spent on it? or maybe even 2
    lol cheers mate. Yeah I looked at the VXR when I bought the engine, but just wasn't for me. I like the fact the mk4 looks different to all the other Astras
    Last edited by scorer; 5th November 2011 at 11:48 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast