Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thumbs up GTC SRi Test drive

I had the pleasure of test driving the SRi variant today, thanks to Baylis Vauxhall of Cirencester.

I have no interest in the SRi, however I was interested to see how it performed as much of the technology in it is in the VXR edition.

RIDE QUALITY

The ride quality has been completely transformed. Bumps, pot-holes, mixed cambered roads, negative cambered corners, ALL of these are handled with absolute finesse. I didn't experience ANY understeer at all. Of particular note was the fact that when cornering a long corner, you will often need to make one or two adjustments during the corner, with the GTC it gives you total confidence that you can make as many minor alterations as possible and it just doesn't seem to 'roll' around the corner like my current VXR does. The width of the vehicle feels about 15/20cm wider, and I think it is? But I certainly noticed and felt like I was driving a wider vehicle.

EXTERIOR

The lines are fantastic, it was great to see them in the flesh. Personally the SRi wheels don't look right at all, the arches are way too big for the wheels, I also didn't really like the design of the SRi alloys, they just don't sit right. Love the boot mechanism, that's a nice bit of design class. The gap between the bonnet and front bumper bit looked a bit too big, didn't look quite right. The rear window did seem slightly larger, however I could be wrong. I expect with a top paint job & proper wheels the VXR will look great.

INTERIOR

The interior rear view mirror was also rounded to match the contours of the rear window, nice touch. Love the new speedo dials which point at you, there is also an OIL temp which is good. Centre console is very much a baby insignia console. No parking brake lever! Now its just a button, so no need release it before setting off, it just automatically detects movement and turns itself off. The corner window by the passenger side door (like the corsa) is as expected completely useless, I think this is there to comply with safety regulations however.

ENGINE

I drove the 1.6 Turbo Petrol variant. The engine was silent! Even when giving it some beans it was well behaved. Strangely however, there is a signifficant difference between when you have the throttle depressed 95% of the way to when it is full depressed, the difference seems larger than the metrics of how far you depress. It was almost as if 95% depressed was really about 85%, therefore the very last 5% of the throttle are hard to micro-control, I hope its not like this on the VXR. The SRi had a decent amount of poke, however nothing like the VXR, 0-70 is a very comfortable affair.

OTHER

USB socket for full iPod/iPhone intergration, nice feature to have.

The sunglasses holder has remained, which is nice.

Drinks holder is in a sensible place (However it will no longer take a supersize BK cup!), nice arm rest. Seats were comfortable however of course the VXR seats will be a new monster!

Gearbox was nice and efficent, I am not sure if the SRi also has the F40 like the VXR will however all changes were completely flawless and handled as you would expect them to, it was a 6 speed gearbo and the ratios were appropriate for the SRi model.

VERDICT

This has only strengthened my case to get a GTC VXR. With the correct wheels, proper paint job, monster power and VXR design tweeks the GTC really will step up a league, dare I say it but it felt like it had real class coupled with real performance, a great combination. Would I buy an SRi? As a VXR owner I would be disappointed with raw power, however if a fuel efficienct car with a bit of poke is important to you then this is a really great Hot Hatch.
    Astra H VXR 2.0l Arctic Special Edition - Stage 3 315bhp/469nm - Sold - Sept 2010 > Feb 2015 - It's journey continues
    Astra J GTC 2.0l SRI CDTI - Stage 1 215bhp/460nm - Work milage monster - Feb 2015 Ongoing
    Audi 8V RS3 2.5l Sportback - Stage OEM 362bhp/465nm - Nardo Grey due January 2016

Know what you mean with the wheel arches and alloys mate.............went to see the CDTI 165 SRI at my local garage and though exactly the same!

Maybe the VX pack would make it look better but at 23.5k standard I thought it was a lot of money!
    12 plate Astra GTC SRi cdti 165 stop/start in white.

Banned

Sounds the vxr could be a decent car. Not keen on the handbrake idea.

Not 100% On looks either. But it will grow on me

Quote Originally Posted by VXR.Dan View Post
    Sounds the vxr could be a decent car. Not keen on the handbrake idea.

Not 100% On looks either. But it will grow on me
    Deffo needs the VX kit if you buy the Sri mate.............looks weird otherwise!
    12 plate Astra GTC SRi cdti 165 stop/start in white.

Nice honest writeup

Also on the wheel/arch front on the dealers first SRi order the customer ticked the 20" alloy box!
    Astra H VXR 2.0l Arctic Special Edition - Stage 3 315bhp/469nm - Sold - Sept 2010 > Feb 2015 - It's journey continues
    Astra J GTC 2.0l SRI CDTI - Stage 1 215bhp/460nm - Work milage monster - Feb 2015 Ongoing
    Audi 8V RS3 2.5l Sportback - Stage OEM 362bhp/465nm - Nardo Grey due January 2016

Just got back from having a look at one of these,an sri cdti..........visually theres something missing for me and it didnt float my boat im afraid
    Ex owner of various VXR's

Current :2017 Golf R - APR Stage 2

VXRO's Fingered Eye

Good write up, it might be my wife's next car
    Arden Blue Vauxhall Vectra VXR 666 Gone But Not Forgotton

Quote Originally Posted by Novus View Post
    Just got back from having a look at one of these,an sri cdti..........visually theres something missing for me and it didnt float my boat im afraid
    Yes its the additional body styling you will get with the mk6 VXR next year Rob

Quote Originally Posted by R15VXR View Post
    Yes its the additional body styling you will get with the mk6 VXR next year Rob
    Thats what it needs Rich,looks to ......well plain really,nice car but vxr is whats needed for visual wows i think
    Ex owner of various VXR's

Current :2017 Golf R - APR Stage 2

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast