Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    VXRed

Default rear brake caliper piston can not get it back in helppppp

Well front brakes are done but i have been on the rear ones 4 hrs now someone please save me !! wife is going nuts on me lol.
    I have replaced the rear pads but cannot get the rear piston to go back in so i can get the caliper on over the new brakes.
    I have undone the brake reservoir cap and have screwed the piston clockwise with some pressure on it at the same time but no luck what am i doing wrong please? i have screwed it in at leaset 30 times but it does just not seem to be going inside? i also opened the bleed nipple but no different just got messy lol
    Regards
    Jeremy

VXR Nothing comes close coreythorny's Avatar

As long as you have the fluid tank cap off, applying the pressure in the right place and turning it the right way it should go.
    Make sure the whole caliper is dead cold to stop any thermal expansion and you could try carefully applying some penetating oil to the piston walls to see it helps.

VXRed

hi, many thanks for reply been on this hours but getting no where fast. i just appy the pressure in the middle of the piston ? is that right and just been turning it anticlockwise. its cold and fluid cap is off. just does not seem to be going back in do i remove the rubber case behind the piston to see whats going on?

Quote Originally Posted by jsansomvxr View Post
    hi, many thanks for reply been on this hours but getting no where fast. i just appy the pressure in the middle of the piston ? is that right and just been turning it anticlockwise. its cold and fluid cap is off. just does not seem to be going back in do i remove the rubber case behind the piston to see whats going on?
    I'm yet to change my rear pads/discs myself but know some people have had a bit of trouble with them.

Some people have also removed the caliper and got it in a vice to help hold it whilst turning the piston. You could try having a search as I know there's stuff on here about it.

the n/s/r caliper is left handed thread so make sure you are winding it in the corrrect way
    for all your VXR tuning needs phone courtenays on 01692 404313 or vist www.courtenaysport.co.uk

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by timmee View Post
    the n/s/r caliper is left handed thread so make sure you are winding it in the corrrect way
    I tried turing it the other way and it started to come out so def turing it the right way lol

Anti-clockwise is correct.

VXR Where am I Mr I.T guy? jalfrezigazee's Avatar

I have a tool to do this and even with the proper tool it is a right pain to do. You need a huge amount pf pressure on it while turning. Tool was about £20 a kit to do any rear setup. Sure it has paid for itself a few times over done 5 sets of rear pads on my motors
    Astra VXR Stage 2, 279.7bhp Petrol, 292.0 bhp LPG
    Zafira 222 BHP LPG (stage 1), 295 Petrol (stage 3)

Need any stainless bolts for your rocker cover or anywhere else on your motor? PM for a good price

VXRacing ahead

I did mine myself was difficult though. Think i used a hammer with the end of the shaft pushing the piston in and used pipe grips just to twist it back and forward not winding it either way just going about 90 degrees back and forward. Good luck!

VXRed

yeah i have give up now lost the light will try again tommorw nightmare! i have also ripped all the rubber that is around the piston will that be ok ?
    wish i had took the rear ones to a garage front were easy!
    Many thanks for help and advice so far all
    Regards
    J

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast