Closed Thread
    VXRed

Default Front Bumper LEDs - information if you want try it yourself

Hi All,

Some of you may remember discussions on this forum about adding LEDs to the front bumper inserts. On several occasions, references were made to my car:

_DSC5260 by jonlarge, on Flickr

For example, here's one thread:

http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...t-Bumper-LEDs/

I just thought I'd update folks as my LEDs have failed and I was dragging my heals in getting them fixed, as I wasn't sure where to start. Now part way through the fixing process I thought I would share the information that I have been gleaned.

Firstly, the driver's side strip of LEDs in the front bumper "air vent" have failed. Essentially the wiring has rusted away:

IMG_3576_v2 by jonlarge, on Flickr

_DSC5612_v2_2000px by jonlarge, on Flickr

_DSC5616 by jonlarge, on Flickr

I don't have the confidence to fix this so took the car some people nearest to me who I have used, and highly recommend, for audio work. Lighting isn't their bag, but they agreed to have a look (don't let the poor website of Cambridge Car Audio (CCA) put you off!).

During inspection they uncovered all the rust and failed cables. We have agreed that I will source some LEDs from Maplins, together with any relevant resistors, which they will then fit.

I currently have a few of these LEDs on order from Maplins. It took a little discussion in the shop to work out what resistor to fit to the 12V feed (from the sidelights) to cover the 7, fitted in parallel, in the air vent. This is what we have gone for.

CCA and I had some debate about whether these LEDs were manufacturer's options, or after-market installs. I felt it was, but CCA felt it wasn't as the plastic housing was such a great fit. They then subsequently discovered these markings:

_DSC5617 by jonlarge, on Flickr

We have come to the conclusion that the part is real, and holes were drilled into the part after-market.

Secondly, one of the LEDs has failed in the door handles:

_DSC5263 by jonlarge, on Flickr

Again it appears rusty wiring has let the install down. I have no photos of this, but I've ordered the same LEDs from Maplins but with a different resistor.

I hope that the resistor turns out to be OK, as it took three of Maplins staff to calculate the type required. CCA could examine the banding of the old resistors, but they will be specified for the LEDs that have failed, so it would not tell them, with confidence, whether they are the correct resistors for the new LEDs. Maybe there are some electronics experts on here who know more?

I hope this is helpful to anyone considering this installation. My next concern is how to protect the repairs from the elements.

On this note, I have also bought enough parts for when the LEDs on the other side of the car fail.
    Last edited by jonnylarge; 28th April 2012 at 03:21 PM.

Silicone sealant should do the job

SMD conversions, cruise control, speed dependent locking/anti-hijack, check control programming, diagnostics, software updates - based in West Yorkshire
    Radios and displays decoded/divorced without the code
    Genuine Vetronix Tech2 with SPS and ******** used - no Chinese clone stuff here

I was thinking the same, get some sealant on there to protect the wires in the future. The 'air vent' lights are someting that i was looking into but the for the hassle just didnt think it was worth it

Thanks for sharing Jonny, great write up for guys to follow up and pictures............let us all know how the new ones turn out with pictures. Fantastic Mod by the way.
    Range Rover Sport Autobiography

China mold production

Quote Originally Posted by jonnylarge View Post
    Hi All,

Some of you may remember discussions on this forum about adding LEDs to the front bumper inserts. On several occasions, references were made to my car:

_DSC5260 by jonlarge, on Flickr

For example, here's one thread:

http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...t-Bumper-LEDs/

I just thought I'd update folks as my LEDs have failed and I was dragging my heals in getting them fixed, as I wasn't sure where to start. Now part way through the fixing process I thought I would share the information that I have been gleaned.

Firstly, the driver's side strip of LEDs in the front bumper "air vent" have failed. Essentially the wiring has rusted away:

IMG_3576_v2 by jonlarge, on Flickr

_DSC5612_v2_2000px by jonlarge, on Flickr

_DSC5616 by jonlarge, on Flickr

I don't have the confidence to fix this so took the car some people nearest to me who I have used, and highly recommend, for audio work. Lighting isn't their bag, but they agreed to have a look (don't let the poor website of Cambridge Car Audio (CCA) put you off!).

During inspection they uncovered all the rust and failed cables. We have agreed that I will source some LEDs from Maplins, together with any relevant resistors, which they will then fit.

I currently have a few of these LEDs on order from Maplins. It took a little discussion in the shop to work out what resistor to fit to the 12V feed (from the sidelights) to cover the 7, fitted in parallel, in the air vent. This is what we have gone for.

CCA and I had some debate about whether these LEDs were manufacturer's options, or after-market installs. I felt it was, but CCA felt it wasn't as the plastic housing was such a great fit. They then subsequently discovered these markings:

_DSC5617 by jonlarge, on Flickr

We have come to the conclusion that the part is real, and holes were drilled into the part after-market.

Secondly, one of the LEDs has failed in the door handles:

_DSC5263 by jonlarge, on Flickr

Again it appears rusty wiring has let the install down. I have no photos of this, but I've ordered the same LEDs from Maplins but with a different resistor.

I hope that the resistor turns out to be OK, as it took three of Maplins staff to calculate the type required. CCA could examine the banding of the old resistors, but they will be specified for the LEDs that have failed, so it would not tell them, with confidence, whether they are the correct resistors for the new LEDs. Maybe there are some electronics experts on here who know more?

I hope this is helpful to anyone considering this installation. My next concern is how to protect the repairs from the elements.

On this note, I have also bought enough parts for when the LEDs on the other side of the car fail.
    I modified the Chinese Insignia vxr largest organization of leaders
    English is not good please forgive me Thank you!

VXRed

It's occurred to me that I have not updated folks on this installation.

In the end, an electronics chap who I work with guided me through the maze of LED choices and resistors needed when installed into a car. He did a lot of the calculations, graft and wiring and he had all the kit - test board for circuits, soldering iron and knowledge! He tried several different circuit/resistor layouts and did a fantastic job of fixing this in the end.

Sadly, I have no details of what he used - which isn't very good for followers of this thread.

However, having predicted the other side may fail - low and behold, one of the bulbs went. Having seen my friend tackle this, I decided to have a go. The difference this time though is that rather than mess around with electronic calculations I instead bought a load of 12V rated LEDs from ebay.

The advantage with these is that they have resistors "built in" to accommodate the 12V feed - they are the green parts in the image here (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271007402421).

Today I have installed them. The resistors have meant a little bit of a tight fit, but they seem to work (touch wood).

Closed Thread