Closed Thread
    VXR newbie

Default Can i get rust done under warranty?

Hi all, i have a astravan sportive 1.7cdti on a 08 reg with 59000 miles on it, i recently noticed when polishing it there are lots of little rust dots appearing on the paintwork, i have heard of people being able to get paint jobs under warranty? Can anyone shine some guidance on this and tell me what to do and if i can do it? Many thanks Everyone =]

I might be wrong but im sure it says in the service book under 'warranty' that paint finish & appearance only has a 12 month warranty, but anti-perforation warranty is 6 years but not sure what this covers tbh. Look at pages 6-12 & 6-14 in your service book.

..Sent Via Tapatalk From A Monkey At Bastion Pingin Dickers..
    Last edited by MattieB29; 10th June 2012 at 10:33 PM.
    Rest-In-Peace 'James Tierney' 18.9.1991 - 16.10.2010
    Rest-In-Paradise Angel, 'Kirsty Malin' 5.12.1990 - 21.8.2010
    "Out The Way 4|2 Commando RM Taliban Hunter VXR Coming Through"

VXRed blooded

My experience is with ford but I imagine it will be similar.

You needed to have full service history and you needed to have had the paint work checked every year by the dealer with a report. Which 99% of people won't have.

That's if it's still under warranty.

If it's still under, ring your dealer and speak to them about it

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Liam4007 View Post
    My experience is with ford but I imagine it will be similar.

You needed to have full service history and you needed to have had the paint work checked every year by the dealer with a report. Which 99% of people won't have.

That's if it's still under warranty.

If it's still under, ring your dealer and speak to them about it

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2
    Just looked in my service book under anti-perforation 6 year warranty. Looks like you may be right about having the dealer service reports. It states in bold at the end ' It is important that the anti-perforation inspection is regulary performed to maintain the validity of the warranty'

..Sent Via Tapatalk From A Monkey At Bastion Pingin Dickers..
    Rest-In-Peace 'James Tierney' 18.9.1991 - 16.10.2010
    Rest-In-Paradise Angel, 'Kirsty Malin' 5.12.1990 - 21.8.2010
    "Out The Way 4|2 Commando RM Taliban Hunter VXR Coming Through"

That sounds like contamination/fallout rusting on the paint, not the actual bodywork rusting from under the paint? Is it bubbling? If not, This wouldn't be covered anyway. Use iron x and/or give it a good claying, will remove the rust speckles
    Astra VXR Nurburgring Edition #270

VXR newbie

Do you know what, this site is great, there is a answer to anything! Haha, Thanks everyone but dont think i have that paintwork inspection =/ No its not bubbling there are just tiny specs of rust here and there, what is this iron x and clay your on aout, havent really used anything like that, any tips? In the middle of doing my van up, i have always had VW's but decided a change =] Thanks once again everyone

VXR newbie

Oh and another thing, any advice on chips or remaping? which do you lot prefer and any recommendations =]

http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...174703-My-Burg

check out my Burg topic, i had the same problem mate. First time I washed my burg I noticed lots of little rust speckles. Came on here, and it turned out its a common thing on burgs (and white cars in general). Small iron particles in the air settle on the paint and rust, embedding in and showing up like in my thread.

Claying is a technique using a clay bar, rubbing it over the lubricated surface of your paint. Any particles stick to the clay and thus are removed from the paint.

Iron x is a liquid spray you spray on, wait a few mins (it turns purple once it is dissolving the iron) and then wash off.

I had my car valeted/clayed by a detailer, removed 99% of the rust speckles, then when i find some he missed, I wash/iron x/wash/clay/wash and it removes them

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAstraVan View Post
    Oh and another thing, any advice on chips or remaping? which do you lot prefer and any recommendations =]
    Use the search function on here mate, hundreds of topics

Some keywords; Thorney, Courtenay, Bluefin, Regal, IPF

VXR newbie

Thanks Bud =]

Closed Thread