Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    VXR newbie

Default Buying First Astra VXR - Advice

Hey

Looking to take the plunge and upgrade my cooper S for an Astra VXR ;D

Hoping to take a look at a couple of cars next week

Have taken a liking to an Arden Blue VXR that is for sale at Chiltern Performance (anyone have any experience with these guys?) Aside from loving the color it also has FSH and a Remus exhaust fitted - which is great as this would be my most likely first mod anyway

My only concern is that i have read that it is advisable to stick to cars that are totally standard (Particularly when buying from a garage) - do you think it would be much of an issue if it is only the exhaust that has been changed ? (Ofc i would check the entire car over first)

As far as i am aware, the main cause for the concern is related to the gearbox (So i shall pay particular attention to this). Is there anything else in particular to look out for ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance =D

TLDR : Is it advisable to buy a Astra VXR that has been lightly modded (Exhaust only) ?
    Does anyone have experience dealing with Chiltern Performance?
    Any general advice for buying an Astra VXR
    Thanks

Regards to the exhaust system, I think it would be 100% fine. It is a verified Vauxhall Mod after all.

The Nurburging models have them fitted from factory so I wouldn't be too concerned about the Remus exhaust if I were you.

VXRO's Bulging Eyes burgerken374's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kiernan10 View Post
    Regards to the exhaust system, I think it would be 100% fine. It is a verified Vauxhall Mod after all.

The Nurburging models have them fitted from factory so I wouldn't be too concerned about the Remus exhaust if I were you.
    Not quite correct, as they came from the factory the same as any other VXR, 888 Racing then modified them. If it does have a Remus then take particular care checking the Turbo, as the Remus reduces the back pressure & the oil pressure can overwhelm the Turbo Seals.
    Astra GTC Summit White with Aero Pack, Navi 600, Rear Parking Sensors, Carbon Diffuser, Carbon Wing Mirrors, Carbon Front Scoops & Carbon Mud Flaps, & Splitter
    BMW Z4 sDrive 35is with DCT, 3.0 Ltr Bi-Turbo, Mineral White, Black Leather & Silver Carbon interior, 340 BHP, 450nm with 50nm 7sec over boost, 0-62 = 4.6sec
    'Clique' # 1

Biggest advice id give is don't rush in take your time to find the right one, gearbox and manifold are the main things I've found out off here.

I came from a Cooper S matey. Completely different car. You'll miss the character and Charm of the MINI but you soon forget that will the lump of sheer power at your disposal. As said take your time. You might get lucky an find a nice Network Q one with a years warranty on it. I was pretty fortunate to find a good one with FSH etc.

Good luck mate.

Would be interested in seeing a pic of the mini if you have one

Sent from my Motorola StarTAC

VXR newbie

Makes sense It is not the exhaust itself that I would worry about (love the Remus ;D) just that I thought it may be an indicator that it had possibly been ragged :O

Not quite correct, as they came from the factory the same as any other VXR, 888 Racing then modified them. If it does have a Remus then take particular care checking the Turbo, as the Remus reduces the back pressure & the oil pressure can overwhelm the Turbo Seals.
    Oh :O That is not good ! Am assuming that you would need to make sure there was no blue smoke coming from the exhaust to check that no damage has been caused ?
    Also, if you have the car remapped after having the exhaust fitted, does this prevent the exhaust damaging the turbo seals ?

Biggest advice id give is don't rush in take your time to find the right one, gearbox and manifold are the main things I've found out off here.
    Thanks for the heads up Certainly will be giving any car a thorough look over before I consider making a purchase! From what I gather I need to check for any whines or notchyness when it comes to the gearbox right ? (Going to have to drill it into my mind that whines are now the sound of a broken gearbox and not a supercharger! haha)

Going by another thread that I just read, a broken manifold is indicated by a rattle upon start-up when the engine is cold?

I came from a Cooper S matey. Completely different car. You'll miss the character and Charm of the MINI but you soon forget that will the lump of sheer power at your disposal. As said take your time. You might get lucky an find a nice Network Q one with a years warranty on it. I was pretty fortunate to find a good one with FSH etc.

Good luck mate.

Would be interested in seeing a pic of the mini if you have one
    Awesome Got to say, the mini has been a great car but I am excited for the change Will keep my eye out on Network Q to see if there are any within my budget
    Have attached some pics of my mini to the post

Think so far I am feeling that my best bet is to go for a totally standard car with FVSH and I will probably have the gearbox oil changed for something like Fully Synthetic 75w-90 Valvoline SynPower TDL as soon as I get the car - so that I know it has fresh fully synthetic oil in there !

Thank you all for the help

Nice MINI mate. 1st Gen are the best. I had turbo 2nd gen. Loved it but only kept it for a year as they aren't as well built as the 1st gens

Sent from my Motorola StarTAC

Thanks for the heads up Certainly will be giving any car a thorough look over before I consider making a purchase! From what I gather I need to check for any whines or notchyness when it comes to the gearbox right ? (Going to have to drill it into my mind that whines are now the sound of a broken gearbox and not a supercharger! haha)

Going by another thread that I just read, a broken manifold is indicated by a rattle upon start-up when the engine is cold?

Yeah wine in the gearbox & struggling to go into gear is the first sign i think, lads say off here though if you keep it topped up with good oil should be ok,

And yeah thats correct about the manifold.

VXR newbie

Nice MINI mate. 1st Gen are the best. I had turbo 2nd gen. Loved it but only kept it for a year as they aren't as well built as the 1st gens
    Hehe thanks Was definitely an upgrade from the 1.0 litre corsa that i was running before
    No way :O I know someone that had a second gen, but not had much experience with them myself ^.^ I just noticed that they seemed to be getting bigger and bigger every time they release a new model !

Yeah wine in the gearbox & struggling to go into gear is the first sign i think, lads say off here though if you keep it topped up with good oil should be ok,

And yeah thats correct about the manifold.
    Thanks
    Yeh will defo be keeping tabs on the oil and making sure it is well maintained and serviced
    I am not one who tends to push a car hard anyway - so hoping that alongside looking after it well, i shouldn't have any issues

Seen 2 separate Astras (One at Townparks Network Q) and the other at Evan Halshaw
    Am i right in assuming that the warranty would be the same from both of these places as Evan Halshaw is owned by the Network Q group ?
    Am wondering if it is worth opting for a main dealer for the safety net of a warranty ^.^

VXRed

Best advice would be enjoy!!!!!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast