Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    VXRed

Default Tuning Questions

Hi All

I am after a bit of advice please, I know this has been discussed in the forum before after reading the previous posts but here goes...

I am looking to spend a little money on performance upgrades to the Siggy VXR and have decided to go with performance panel filter and re-map, currently looking at Courtenay's or TMS.

My main question is should I also look at 2nd Cat Bypass, and if so can you please advise what impact this has on the general noise of the system, I would be looking for something a little louder under load, but not too loud, and similar noise on motorway cruise etc...

I have spoken with Courtenay's briefly about this and the Milltek 2nd Cat Bypass 70mm, but they say they have no experience of fitting this, does anyone have any advice or suggestions for setup and 2nd Cat Bypass parts?

Just to advise I want to keep the car road legal and be able to pass the MOT with no issues when its due.

Many Thanks

Lee

Hi Lee

Don't do the second cat do the precat the one directly after the Turbo. This has the most restriction and changing this will unlock more performance. Leaving the second cat in will mean you car will pass the MOT. The standard exhaust is made by remus and is a good piece of kit. Regal offer a Precat delete and remap which along with a panel filter will work wonders. However removing the precat is a b*tch so if you don't know how to get someone who does. Regal can do it. I had my local dealer do mine as I trust them and I don't live in uk so couldn't get Regal to do it!!

Hope this helps

VXRed

Hi James

Thanks for the quick reply. That's great it was the precat delete I was looking at. I had seen the following in regal http://regal-auto.co.uk/shop/exhaust...vxr-p-913.html

VXRed

Hi James

Thanks for the quick reply, very helpful thank you.

Which make of pipe did you end up using on yours?

I had been looking at the precat removal, I had been looking at Regal parts http://regal-auto.co.uk/shop/exhaust...vxr-p-913.html which I assume are the correct ones?

Can you advise what kind of difference this makes to the sound of the exhaust?

Thanks again

Lee

I had the panel filter and 2nd cat delete. The noise was nicer, bit richer. Didn't have a problem with MOT or servicing. I didn't get a re-map as I was not keen to fiddle with the engine etc. There are loads of folk who have mapped and had no issues and lots of fun. Good luck its a cracking car.

VXRed

Hi Nick

Thanks for the reply. That's good to know, my MOT is not due yet as the car is not 3 years old, but don't really want to be swapping parts every time it needs one.

Which make of pipe did you go for in the end?

Thanks

Lee

Hi. I went for a Milltek delete pipe.

VXRed

Thanks for the quick reply, I will have a look at this, Also currently looking at Regal RSS pre cat delete and EDS IPF remap, this way I wont have to travel to Regal I can get the delete pipe fitted locally and perform the remap at home

Thanks Again

Quote Originally Posted by lee_spowart View Post
    Hi James

Thanks for the quick reply, very helpful thank you.

Which make of pipe did you end up using on yours?

I had been looking at the precat removal, I had been looking at Regal parts http://regal-auto.co.uk/shop/exhaust...vxr-p-913.html which I assume are the correct ones?

Can you advise what kind of difference this makes to the sound of the exhaust?

Thanks again

Lee
    Yes I used Regal. The noise is different louder but not too loud! it makes the car burble and pop when lifting off etc but it remains discrete but puts a smile on your face. I also did the double decat (i live in Jersey so no MOT's so no issue) and this is very very loud and will scare people as you drive by!!!!! Copy and paste the link below this is the double decat cold start up done on an iphone but gives you an idea of what it sounds like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un1xAYMxKoU

This created different issues lack of back pressure for turbo meant that i had 100% boost at 2500 revs and clutch could not handle it!!!! Since this i have changed the whole exhaust so i now have the down pipe from regal and a full decat from silverline. The car is epic not too loud!!!!

I recommend Precat delete, New Air Filter, a Remap and upgrade the Pads, this is a good starting point if you have the budget lowering springs and this will change the car! I have gone further as have a few. Toffee i think has got the most powerful car on here but I believe Dan blazed the trial in the early years with his before getting rid and his car was used by regal & EDS and there are a few videos on YouTube.

If you decide to use Regal speak to Chris he is very helpful and is a straight talker which I like.

I hope this helps anything else just ask.

James

VXRed

Hi James

Thanks for the reply, some really helpful info there.

I guess my biggest concern would be issues after the work has been completed, as I'm not sure of the strength of some of the parts on the car such as the Clutch / Flywheel, drive train and Diff / Haldex as I have seen reports of these parts being very troublesome, have you seen any issues after the work you have done?

I am currently speaking with John at TMS regarding some of the upgrade work, I am looking at the following from them.

- New Full TMS Exhaust http://www.thorney.ms/tms-exhaust-sy...tek-sport.html
    - High Performance Filter
    - ECU remap

I can find many reports of good work from TMS, but I have yet to find anyone speaking about their new exhaust system or seen videos of the sound, so its hard to decide if it would meet my needs

Thanks Again

Lee

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast