Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lee_spowart View Post
    Hi James

Thanks for the reply, some really helpful info there.

I guess my biggest concern would be issues after the work has been completed, as I'm not sure of the strength of some of the parts on the car such as the Clutch / Flywheel, drive train and Diff / Haldex as I have seen reports of these parts being very troublesome, have you seen any issues after the work you have done?

I am currently speaking with John at TMS regarding some of the upgrade work, I am looking at the following from them.

- New Full TMS Exhaust http://www.thorney.ms/tms-exhaust-sy...tek-sport.html
    - High Performance Filter
    - ECU remap

I can find many reports of good work from TMS, but I have yet to find anyone speaking about their new exhaust system or seen videos of the sound, so its hard to decide if it would meet my needs

Thanks Again

Lee
    Hi Lee

You are right to be concerned but if you are taking the car to Stage 1 then you should be fine however I do not know your cars history. Any tuner worth their salt we evaluate your car first before taking it above stage 1.

I have never used TMS but I think Toffee used them to stage 3 his car. Hopefully he will post here to give you advice as he has a lot more experience than me or if not PM him I am sure he will be kind enough to answer. I believe TMS as with Courtney and Regal are among the best and I think when choosing between these 3 go with the one that you feel will can get the best relationship with, as I bet you, you will be back soon enough to have more work done and you will be taking your car on a Journey and if your relationship with your tuner is good they will help you and guide though the process. But as per my other post removing the precat will unlock the most amount of gain for the least amount of work and cash, as the biggest restriction is the pipe directly after the Turbo!

What I will say is that when regal where developing Dan's Car they killed two Heldex's so they in my opinion have learned the hard way. I as you was concerned as I didn't want a 3.5k bill to replace mine to asked Regal for advice and the first thing they said is that they refused to dino my car as the Heldex does not like it and without exception he has had every Siggy bunny hopping across the car park after a dino. The other piece of advice he gave was when running tuned in VXR mode is to turn off the traction control as this can affect the Heldex (their maps offer the extra BHP written to the VXR Button allowing you to drive in normal mode and then unleash the extra power when you need it, I really liked this option). Not sure if anyone else does this.

My car has just turned 4 I have 19.5k on the clock and my Heldex (touch wood) is fine. I service my car every 6k miles and get the guys to inspect the heldex. I am getting the heldex serviced this year full fluid changed across the whole running gear, also getting the seals on the heldex changed as a precaution and this is what tends to fail killing the oil pump and the heldex fluid gets in the diff and then it is eye watering bill time!!!

I have plans to push the car up to where Toffee has his Stage 3 + and I have had discussions about doing some work to the running gear to hopefully ensure the extra power doesn't kill the gear boxes!

If this work gets done and works I will share to everyone as I am on a mission to the 500 club LOL.

Hope this helps

James

VXRed

Hi James

Again thank you very much, its nice to see people being so helpful of the forums.

I purchased my car from vauxhall around a year ago, it had been used as a vauxhall dealer showroom car for a year, and had done 8k when I bought it. Its now got 16K on the clock and has been serviced more than specified, also had full fluid, filter changes and seals done on the Haldex around 6 months ago.

As yet it is completely standard, but I find it a bit jerky and sometimes has a large power lag at certain revs, which is starting to annoy me, hence the remap. I wont be doing to much to the car, nothing to the extent of yourself and toffee, i think full exhaust , remap, filter and possibly new pads will be my limit.

I don't tend to keep cars all that long to justify and additional cost.

Many thanks

Lee

You don't need to touch the full Exhaust to eliminate your problems. De-Cat, Filter and a Stage 1 Map will suffice.

VXRed

Hi Toffee

Thanks for info, as you appear to have a lot of experience with tuning, is there anything I should avoid, or any preference on company, I know a lot is personal choice and location, but obviously want to stay away from any major issues.

I haven't spoken with my insurance company as yet, did you have any issues with them insuring the changes, stage 1 rather than your current level, or them charging stupid prices?

Sorry for all the questions, but as yet I have never had any of my cars remapped or changed from standard in any way.

Thanks Again

Lee

Both Insurance and Warranty should be carefully considered before Tuning. The Company you choose is personal to you based on your own research. I am mainly Thorney and have no problems. My Insurance is fine but I am 49 with full NCD. Good luck and if I can help further PM me and I'll give you my phone number.

All our work has been from John, on both my Insignias, and the Astra VXR, cant say anything bad about them. There have been issues, but, have also been promptly fixed. .

I believe Toffee VXR has TMS Stage 3, im currently running a Stage 1 map, looking to hit stage 3 later this year.

Hi Lee

As Toffee says you can leave the main exhaust alone it is made by Remus so it is of good quality save some money and upgrade the Pads on the brakes and low it lol!. Good luck with the tuning and take Toffee up on the offer of advice as it is invaluable!

Once done get some pics up and share with us what you have done!

James

VXRed

Hi James

Sounds good to me, I will take any advice I can get, no point in making mistakes that can be avoided.

Thanks to you and toffee for the help so far.

I don't think I will be making too many changes to the outside of the car, as think it looks quite nice as is, will try and post some pics if we ever get a sunny day and I can clean her up a bit 1st

Lee

VXRed

Hi James

As promised, I've tried to put some pictures on here, only had time for a quick clean, hope it works

Lee
    Last edited by lee_spowart; 9th March 2014 at 06:00 PM.

Looks lovely mate nice car!!!!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast