Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    VXRed

Post astra vxr smoking problem?

hi all. got my vxr not too long ago. went to start it the other day and noticed the fumes coming up the back window when I was sitting in the car. also thought the fumes smelled a bit different

dont know if im being paranoid but there seems to be more smoke than normal. it was a rather chilly morning around 5°c so dont know if its just beacuse its cold outside the fumes are more visible. it does become less visible when the car has warmed up

the car is only on 58k miles, full history inc service last week, the exhaust is a cobra turnoback non res. iv put a link to my video below of a cold start. thanks

http://m.youtube.com/results?q=astra...pe=&uploaded=d

VXRed

What video is yours pal? The second video 'Black VXR' looks like a valve stem leak. I have the exact same on my VXR and its a cams out/timing belt off job... not nice job to fix a little oil being ignited causing the blue smoke. Ill do it eventually but ill try some sealant first.

VXRed

no mate its the silver one, videos around 10 seconds long, just uploaded it today so might not be up yet

VXRed

http://youtu.be/XVVA8jgw8l0

also it was mot'd not long ago so would it not show up on an emmisions test if it was burning oil?
    Last edited by Jgavin1; 2nd May 2014 at 11:40 AM.

VXRed

you've made the video private ;-)

VXRed

sorry I am an idiot! should be it now

VXRed

Is that not just cold engine...? Does it stop once the automatic choke stops? Doesn't seem like blue smoke so isn't oil. are you losing coolant?

VXRed

it does seem to go away a bit when the choke stops. still a little bit but maybe just because its cold outside. coolant seems ok so far il check it more often

I am probably just being paranoid tbh

You'll notice smoke comes out in gushes when revving if the stem seals have gone, mine are on the way out and when the cars sat idling I only have to give 3 gentle revs and I cant see out the rear view mirror!?
    Arden GSi

VXRed

ah ok il look into that. mine isnt really smokey when I rev it, can still see out the window! is it a costly repair and would it cause any further damage if it was leaking for a while? and any noticeable performance decrease?
    Last edited by Jgavin1; 2nd May 2014 at 12:56 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast