Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Vxr8 gts 2012

I own both a gtc vxr, and a vxr8. The difference in the cars is like light and dark, they are both amazing cars to drive.
    The R8 is a lazy bruiser that still puts a smile on my face after 5 years of ownership, and in my opinion is a much better drive. Be prepared its a big car and won't feel as safe as the gtc round corners if you are giving it some stick.
    I can't really give you anymore help as they are so different, but if I had to sell one of my cars the gtc vxr would be the one to go.

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by Cottee View Post
    I own both a gtc vxr, and a vxr8. The difference in the cars is like light and dark, they are both amazing cars to drive.
    The R8 is a lazy bruiser that still puts a smile on my face after 5 years of ownership, and in my opinion is a much better drive. Be prepared its a big car and won't feel as safe as the gtc round corners if you are giving it some stick.
    I can't really give you anymore help as they are so different, but if I had to sell one of my cars the gtc vxr would be the one to go.
    Thanks for the advice, looking forward to seeing what the GTS is all about, and can't wait to have a go with the EDI and the Bimodal

VXRed blooded

Quote Originally Posted by blackadder9570 View Post
    Wow, that is amazing and I am sure its on every other members Santa Wishlist Did you buy the car with stock supercharged specs and drive it and then have this work done so have experianced both power levels, or did you take it straight to Walkinshaw with zero miles on the clock? Would love to know how it felt to go from one to the other?

Another question which interests me if you will indulge is, does the launch control work for any power level or is it calibrated for the stock car?
    Purchased new from Picadors in Southampton and covered about 800 miles then taken to WP.

The S/C is standard and all the extra work was done by WP.

The before and after result is AMAZING and you can't catch your breath, would not use launch control, not my bag.

I have had 80L of fuel into the vxr8 tank from near empty. I think the capacity is actually 75L so I guess I refilled the fuel lines and filler neck too
    Got the pics to prove it too.

Anyway, get the vxr8 for sure. I wouldnt consider any other car. No point. They are all crap.

Stock exhaust if 2.5" is fine you wont gain much if any power going to an aftermarket 2.5 so why bother?
    If you want it louder, just remove or swap mufflers. One issue used to be a 2.25" section in the middle of the VXR8 exhaust. Not sure if that was fixed in the later model or not. Easily checked by looking underneath.

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by Pudrick View Post
    I have had 80L of fuel into the vxr8 tank from near empty. I think the capacity is actually 75L so I guess I refilled the fuel lines and filler neck too
    Got the pics to prove it too.

Anyway, get the vxr8 for sure. I wouldnt consider any other car. No point. They are all crap.

Stock exhaust if 2.5" is fine you wont gain much if any power going to an aftermarket 2.5 so why bother?
    If you want it louder, just remove or swap mufflers. One issue used to be a 2.25" section in the middle of the VXR8 exhaust. Not sure if that was fixed in the later model or not. Easily checked by looking underneath.
    Thanks for the advice, will keep an eye out on the middle section.

VXRed

One thing I am wondering is in regards to the VXR8 and the VXR8 GTS what makes the GTS so special over the VXR8, I understand that the concept is different and some of the3 features however as for driving is there much difference?

Quote Originally Posted by gavinprince View Post
    One thing I am wondering is in regards to the VXR8 and the VXR8 GTS what makes the GTS so special over the VXR8, I understand that the concept is different and some of the3 features however as for driving is there much difference?
    Having owned both I suppose I can answer this.

They are the same chassis and thus underlying they are the same car. The difference is simply that the gts is a higher spec. Amongst other things it has magnetic ride control allowing you to select how hard the suspension responds at the touch of a button. It comes with 20" alloys as standard. It has the EDI which is basically some pretty screens showing various live telemetry about how the car is performing. This data can be downloaded and analysed on a pc. It has a built in hard disk to store up to 15 CDs of music. It has a reversing camera also. Also has the revised styling which includes nostrils in the bonnet and day light running lights.

There may be other things I've missed

From a driving point of view, comparing both cars in their standard form the gts drives much better due to its improved suspension.

Just remembered, the GTS also comes with iPod support as standard. If you don't have an iPod you can plug in a USB pen with MP3s on and it will play them.
    Last edited by pah250; 29th June 2014 at 05:58 PM.
    VXR8 GTS Sting Red
    6.2 litre Supercharged LSA V8 (779bhp and 765lb ft torque)
    Modified and tuned by Walkinshaw Performance UK

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by pah250 View Post
    Having owned both I suppose I can answer this.

They are the same chassis and thus underlying they are the same car. The difference is simply that the gts is a higher spec. Amongst other things it has magnetic ride control allowing you to select how hard the suspension responds at the touch of a button. It comes with 20" alloys as standard. It has the EDI which is basically some pretty screens showing various live telemetry about how the car is performing. This data can be downloaded and analysed on a pc. It has a built in hard disk to store up to 15 CDs of music. It has a reversing camera also. Also has the revised styling which includes nostrils in the bonnet and day light running lights.

There may be other things I've missed

From a driving point of view, comparing both cars in their standard form the gts drives much better due to its improved suspension.
    Thanks for the info, look forward to seeing what the VXR8 GTS is all about

I have both the Astra GTC VXR & a 2012 GTS. Both completely standard.

The Astra is a go-kart on steriods. It will out-run the GTS on take-off if the right driver is on board, due to the way it gets the power down etc, but the GTS will rein it in very quickly.

Fuel economy. The Astra is poor. We only get about 24mpg where as we had an Astra H VXR & that gave 28mpg. The V8, well, it's a V8. I'm at 18.3mpg overall at the moment. On a run, you can get 30. Some others get more.

Equipment. The Astra is 1 stage ahead of the GTS, but then again the GTS isn't bad. It's better than previous top flight Vauxhalls.

Overall, I'd go GTS all the way. Mine's been in the garage for a month, small bodywork problem (tart & tigra vs GTS) & the Vauxhall re-furb'ed all 4 wheels FOC due to corrosion & I was away for 4 days as well, so first job this morning, even after getting in from the airport at 1:00am, was to be at the garage at 9:00 to pick it up as I needed that boost from the 8 cylinders.
    Astra GTC VXR & VXR8 http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=12802&dateline=1262458232

VXRed

At long last !

Well the week has arrived where the VXR8 GTS is coming into my dealers, can't wait to get in it and see what its like, will get some pictures up as soon as I get my hands on the car.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4