+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thanks again Scott with regards to Airplay.

Not having needed to explore this myself, apart from a Google search, I don't know what the right "solution" to your operating environment might be.

I am sure however, that you will share the solution you seek, if and when you find it.

Thanks again Scott

Cheers

Woody
    Woody's Vx Ice Addons
    UK/Eire Distributor of the Comfort Unit and Video Accessories from www.PepaS.cz designed to enhance your Headunit & Display - Adds Additional Data and Reversing Camera & Media.

CD70 Aux In Retrofits and CID 3 Line Firmware Updates.

No vids yet, my quest for more of an Apple Pi than a Raspberry one is still ongoing. Waiting on some electronics stuff appearing to carry out some tweaks and mods that may or may not work...lol. I just don't think the openelec/xbmc is that suited to car use due to the need to navigate through multiple folders/files and that may be more down to my personal preference.
    I could purchase one of those mirroring boxes but that's too easy....
    So..Time for a little update:
    It's no secret that I like my Apple audio, and as mentioned above I just couldn't gel with the pi's interface so onto this....
    Take one airport express and one Apple TV, both these have the same power requirements of 3.3v DC with a small current draw of 1.75A. So, in order to make them car friendly there were two options.
    Option 1: inverter unit with 13a plugs.
    Option 2: fit a voltage regulator
    In order to keep things neat I opted for option 2...

Crack open the Apple TV and the black item on the right is the transformer/power pack

Which pops out to allow this...

On the left (it's turned round lol) is the voltage regulator which allows 12v to be dropped down to the required 3.3v. I've fitted a 5.5-2.1mm barrel connection to the case where the old 240VAC connection was.

Now onto the airport express...

Slightly more involved than the TV unit

The power pack is sandwiched into the circuit board but a few screws removed allow it to prize free and once again the new regulator sits in its place
    All powered up with the barrel connector fitted like the TV module

And both powered off the battery..

Now the fun part
    With all the tweaks and mods the vec has a video input through the VCU-01 unit supplied by Woody, this allows me to use the HDMI output on the Apple TV through a HDMI/composite converter....
    Ta-da!

Now I have full AirPlay functionality, with a few connection options. I can use the airport express for a mini network to stream from my phone or IPad; this is suitable for media stored within the devices. If I want to stream from my iCloud library I can use the phone to create its own network, this also allows full internet access for the Apple TV which means YouTube/Vevo etc are all useable.

Some final tweaking this evening and eventually put the glovebox back in.

I had everything working so the "application" was sound, but getting appropriate power supplies was an issue. The Vectra doesn't really have any "aux" powered circuits, it's mainly canbus switched off the key position so what I really needed was a means to have the airport express fire up when the radio was on and the screen was looking for an input.
    So, first thought was the cigarette/accessory socket at the centre console. This is ign live...not ideal but it would serve the purpose. The Apple TV unit has a sleep setting and an inactivity timer so having it with a constant 12v feed was fine...if I forgot to turn it off it will do it after 15mins...ideal.
    Got most of the wiring tidied up then had a thought about the way the raspberry pi worked. It had a power supply activated by the Canbus via the VCU01, this trigger feed turned on the pi when required and had a 5min shut down delay....the answer to my problem.
    Set about stripping the power supply module from the pi pcb, it's fed by 3 wires. A 12v+, 12v- and a 3v trigger from the VCU. This supplies a 5vDC output to the pi (standard USB power) and measured at 2.0A...quite handy as my express needs 1.75A. All that had to be done was to use the 5v output to then supply the airport express...my regulators' lowest input voltage is 4vDC so within its range.
    It works beautifully!

Not the best of vids, gives some idea of how it works though..

It's a bit slow on the you tube upload...considering its in the car, inside another big steel box (shed) it's not the worst.
    This shows how it links with AirPlay

All back in one piece

Very smart, great work.
    Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

That looks awesome mate.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

Default CID Startup Screens "Available" with a "3 Line Display"

I thought I would post up something to tempt users who already have a CID (Colour Information Display) fitted in their "Full Canbus" Vectra-C / Signums / Astra-H & Zafira-B

PepaS is working on a new project which will mean that some uniquely different startup/shutdown screens will be available to members who decide to go for the 3 line upgrade

If anyone has any suggestions / ideas on how these might be developed further, please post up in reply

Here's a few "tempters"

Startup Logo – OPEL Animated

Shutdown Logo - OPEL Draft #1

Startup / Shutdown Logo - HOLDEN

Startup / Shutdown Logo - CHEVROLET

Startup / Shutdown Logo - VAUXHALL

Startup / Shutdown Logo - OPEL OPC / VAUXHALL VXR

Startup Logo - OPEL OPC (Animated), 1st Draft

Startup Logo - OPC Draft #2

Startup Logo - VXR Draft #1

Comments are welcomed. For example, should the Vxr animated logo have the wording
    Opel Performance Centre, or VX Racing or Vauxhall Racing, or indeed something else ?
    Last edited by Woody; 23rd April 2016 at 07:22 PM.
    Woody's Vx Ice Addons
    UK/Eire Distributor of the Comfort Unit and Video Accessories from www.PepaS.cz designed to enhance your Headunit & Display - Adds Additional Data and Reversing Camera & Media.

oooo I like the animated OPC thats cool, much better than one I have on mine. I stuck with animated OPEL one in mine because OPC is just ppfff.
    Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

Thanks Ed and yes, the idea has a lot of potential, but I would also like to see a Vxr animated logo.

Apparantly editing of the gifs posted above can be done by users who have access to Adobe After Effects software.

Anyone on here fancy playing with new effects using the Vxr images above ?
    Woody's Vx Ice Addons

Default COMFORT UNIT - BARGAIN - 1 ONLY £100 delivered

NOW SOLD

Been thinking about a Comfort Unit but not got around to it yet ?

Well here's a chance to save £20 on the price

I have one only 2nd user Comfort Unit, in pristine condition, and updated to the latest all singing and dancing firmware available at the

BARGAIN PRICE of

£100 (Delivered)

Grab it while you can, first come first served and it's yours
    PM me for paypal details

(The Forum Price for these is £120)

Woody

NOW SOLD
    Last edited by Woody; 21st April 2016 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Sold
    Woody's Vx Ice Addons

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast