Closed Thread
    VXR Where am I Mr I.T guy? jalfrezigazee's Avatar

Default HOW TO clean a Dbilas Flowmaster.

It has come to that 10k cleaning time again on my Zafira GSi but this is the same for anyone owning a Dbilas Flowmaster. Don't know if people that use flowmasters know this but clean at 10k or you will be down on power unless you clean and re-oil your filter

To start with remove the cover on the flowmaster with a 3mm Allen key then gently prise the filter out one side with a large flat bladed screwdriver about 8mm upwards, then prise the other end up and you can slide it out with your fingers.

Here is my filter after only 9k of summer usage, (doing it a little early this time so it is clean for Santa Pod next weekend )

These are all the items you need:-

a sink
    dirty k+n filter
    K+N cleaning solution (I buy it in 16oz spray from ebay now as cheaper than the boxed set shown in the rear)
    re-oiling spray (from the boxed set, it lasts much longer than the cleaning spray bu about 5 x )

Tap out the filter when dry to get the largest contaminant out, always clean from the clean side to the dirty side as you want to remove debris not force it into the cotton gauze

On the cleaning spray instructions it says to liberally apply the cleaning spray to both sides of the filter for at least 10 mins - I leave it for at least 30 mins as I have found that this way you only need to give it one clean

Then turn the cold tap on fast and wash from the clean side. I bend the filter slightly to open out the dirty side pleats and wash each pleat one at a time. Next tap the filter quite hard on the side of the sink until no more debris comes out. Re-wash the filter with water. I took a sater sample from the sink as it isn't as filthy as it looks in the last picture

Then shake out as much water from the filter as you can and leave to dry naturally. If you use a radiator, hair dryer or other forced drying it can shrink the filter (so it says in the docs). Mine is now drying in the conservatory.

When dry apply the oiling spray until all the filter fibres have changed to pink.

Before refitting the filter to the car take the air outlet hose off the car (the one with the amm on) and clean the housing with a vacuum cleaner as this stops dislodged debris wrecking the amm on start up.

Refit filter, job done
    Astra VXR Stage 2, 279.7bhp Petrol, 292.0 bhp LPG
    Zafira 222 BHP LPG (stage 1), 295 Petrol (stage 3)

Need any stainless bolts for your rocker cover or anywhere else on your motor? PM for a good price

VXR Where am I Mr I.T guy? jalfrezigazee's Avatar

and here is the clean filter

clean and before oiling

and oiled

Astra VXR Stage 2, 279.7bhp Petrol, 292.0 bhp LPG
    Zafira 222 BHP LPG (stage 1), 295 Petrol (stage 3)

Need any stainless bolts for your rocker cover or anywhere else on your motor? PM for a good price

VXR enough

Great write up matey --- same applies for all filters like this. Oh and err some great pics for people who have a feet / toe fettish

Closed Thread