Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Front Camber

Default Front Camber

I'm interested to know what camber people are running once you have lowered the suspension. I understand that lowering has the effect of adding negative camber, but I'm not sure how much is best for fast road use (although it is subjective).

I started off with -0°30' when aligned after fitting my DAP springs. Later on I had camber bolts added and increased this to -1°30. I didn't notice any uneven tyre wear and I felt as though it did corner better. However I've also swapped from 19" to 18" wheels and had new tyres in between, so it's hard to accurately judge. Most recently I pushed this to -2°00' but it feels as thought the wheels initially turn in quickly but then lurch from gripping to understeer when you corner hard. I also can't feel the slip diff engaging as much as it used to.

I'm going to have the camber backed off a little, but I can't decide how far to go. I have searched for this subject on here and AON, but very few people list specific settings. For info, my toe and caster setting are un-alerted (front & rear). Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Last edited by spartan35025; 26th October 2014 at 12:14 AM.
    [FONT="Tahoma"]Arden Blue Astra : Gone
    Parts for sale

I run half a degree of toe and 1.5 camber, I run 17's and that's pretty perfect for me, on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by CorsaVX-R114 View Post
    I run half a degree of toe and 1.5 camber, I run 17's and that's pretty perfect for me, on the road.
    Cheers for the reply. I hadn't thought about changing the toe angle.
    Did you get the toe set at the same time as the camber? Did you noticed any change in the stability at speed?
    Parts for sale

Yes it was all set at the same time. No compromise in stability as I've noticed, in cornering or straights. I've done over 160mph on satnav speedo and she felt solid

Quote Originally Posted by CorsaVX-R114 View Post
    Yes it was all set at the same time. No compromise in stability as I've noticed, in cornering or straights. I've done over 160mph on satnav speedo and she felt solid
    Sounds good. Even at 70mph, with this level of camber mine feels twitchy. Its a shame you didn't have the two done at separate times to know which adjustment made the most difference, but its understandable as it costs every time you want to try a change! I'll have to pay to get my camber put back, but as the toe was recently corrected back to 0°, I might leave that alone till next time and save myself the £30.
    Parts for sale

For my 19" OEM's on daps (oem shocks) I didn't need to change anything as it seemed to be ok (when checked) but having recently changed to KW's I can feel the tracking is out from the car wanting to wander to the right but the company I will be taking it to will sort out 4 wheel alignment with bolts and shims where needed, will let you know the figures when it is done if it helps but I am still on 19" with the BBS'.

Russ

spartan35025
    do you use car on track days or only everyday driving?

Quote Originally Posted by Deathace View Post
    For my 19" OEM's on daps (oem shocks) I didn't need to change anything as it seemed to be ok (when checked) but having recently changed to KW's I can feel the tracking is out from the car wanting to wander to the right but the company I will be taking it to will sort out 4 wheel alignment with bolts and shims where needed, will let you know the figures when it is done if it helps but I am still on 19" with the BBS'.

Russ
    Thanks Russ, it would be interesting to have a read of the figures once you get sorted. I didn't have any problems with my alignment, just fancied having a little play around with my camber settings to see if a little more negative caber would improve the traction through tight corners. However as above, I found that -2°00' makes the car a bit twitchy at speed and seems to loose traction on tight corners.

Quote Originally Posted by slonik View Post
    spartan35025
    do you use car on track days or only everyday driving?
    Its used as a daily driver, so I'm trying to get the best 'fast road' setup without making it unstable in a straight line or effecting tyre wear too badly (a little is acceptable).

Cheers,
    Mike
    Parts for sale

I've just taken off my wheels with federal RSR's off and after 4k of hard millage they are bald, you can barely notice there's been any camber wear on the tyres

I run half a degree of toe and 1.5 camber,
    1.5 camber not so much, but half degree toe... may be you are wrong? check it again.
    with half degree toe your tyres will wear very fast.
    i usually make 0.1-0.2 toe out.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast