Closed Thread
    VXRed

Thumbs down Grind central! Clutch release bearings?

Over the past 48 hours, when moving off from standstill, when in 1st gear, there is an intermittent rubbing/grinding noise from the clutch side of the car - I thought it was a bit of plastic rubbing on the tyre or something, just to give you an idea of the noise.
    When it is in 2nd gear, the noise is constant, right up through the rev range, until I change into 3rd. From 3rd to 6th, there is no noise made.
    There doesn't seem to be any difference in performance, but a ridiculous decrease in street cred, especially when you hear this hoofin great red vxr whirring along the road in 2nd.

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem or if anyone has any pointers?
    Please hope to god it isn't the DMF... I'll settle for a new bearing or selector though!

Many thanks!

mines making a whirring noise in 1st which is the release bearing not the dmf. I believe dmf is more like a clicking clunking noise when failing. replacing clutch this weekend hopefully.
    http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s142/markhiggins789/Signatures/mobilecopy.jpg

sounds like release bearing as i had the same problem. replaced mine last week an its like new again. took me a good 7 hours to replace, with removing the box an putting it back on. with the car just on axle stands an a 3 tone jack.
    Opel Astra OPC Nürburgring Edition #623

VXRed

Late reply I know, but it was bearings... the 1st gear, the 2nd gear, the 5th gear, and the 6th gear bearings! Gearbox recon. Cost me an arseload

I would have said it was the gearbox more than a release bearing or maybe the DMF, When I had my gearbox refurbished the DMF was toast Timmee was standing on it and spining it on the floor with half moving about so mine could have been the DMF whining not so much the gearbox but I had it all done anyway so the box is fresh.

Russ

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by Deathace View Post
    I would have said it was the gearbox more than a release bearing or maybe the DMF, When I had my gearbox refurbished the DMF was toast Timmee was standing on it and spining it on the floor with half moving about so mine could have been the DMF whining not so much the gearbox but I had it all done anyway so the box is fresh.

Russ
    Ah fair play. The mechanic I took it to sorted it for me, said the DMF was in good condition and I've also got a Quaife diff? Nice surprise! lol
    Gear box is lovely now... but I've started another thread about the most recent issue lol

Closed Thread