Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mods without remap - is it ok?

I currently own a Subaru Forester 2.5XT (230bhp) and am looking to buy an Astra Vxr in the new year. (No longer need all that practicality although love the sleeper appeal!)

Subaru boxer engines are renowned for needing a remap whenever any breathing/exhaust mods are made but Vxr's seem to be different.

E.g. Decat downpipe +10/15 bhp straight out the box

There seem to be quite a few Vxrs with cat back/turbo back and just downpipe mods but not remapped. Are they really running ok or causing long term damage? Are they really pushing out more ponies just because of the parts?

No takers for any info?

You can fit the hardware without any remap required

Astra

VXR enough

Some times can crack manifold as I belive that the astra run lean when the come out of the box not sure if I am 100% right on this but I'm sure it's true as I fitted cone and exaughst and what do u know I have cracked manifold

Default Mods without remap - is it ok?

I ran mine for a bit without a map when I had a sports cat fitted and then a Milltek to it as well. It will run and there will be some gains but mine ran a bit rich and stank. ever since the map it's been fine.

So answer is yes, but I'd recommend a map eventually

As above id either have a cone mapped in or have a CDTi box

Sent from my iPhone you Android Scumbags!!!

Cracked manifolds happen - regardless of tune

Astra

VXRed

Any type of bolt on should have the software not just for power but to get the best out your bolt ons

Quote Originally Posted by stanford View Post
    Any type of bolt on should have the software not just for power but to get the best out your bolt ons
    Disagree, you can see reasonable gains with decent breathing and exhaust softens the flat spot out that they all have - yes if you buy an intercooler then get a map to make the most of it but you can install it and run it with just the hardware installed until you get it mapped if you were saving up or needed to wait.

Remember that Vauxhall themselves threw the Remus on the Nurburgring - there were no software changes from the std exhaust and every single owner would vouch for improved performance

Astra

Quote Originally Posted by IanJ View Post
    Disagree, you can see reasonable gains with decent breathing and exhaust softens the flat spot out that they all have - yes if you buy an intercooler then get a map to make the most of it but you can install it and run it with just the hardware installed until you get it mapped if you were saving up or needed to wait.

Remember that Vauxhall themselves threw the Remus on the Nurburgring - there were no software changes from the std exhaust and every single owner would vouch for improved performance
    +1
    Clique No.10

VXRed blooded

You can't put a cracked manifold down to a cone filter nor exhaust system, you can however put it down to thrashing it from cold, due to the amount of hammer it's had etc but mods won't make the slightest difference to it

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast