Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    VXRed

Default Exhaust Question

Hi, just wondering without touching any cats and only removing the backbox (backbox delete) would this affect back pressure and cause more wear on the turbo? because of a faster spool on the turbo?
    I have heard that the only cat that affects the turbo spool would be the pre-cat?
    Cheers

VXRacing ahead

1st,i doubt if removing back pressure will ever increase turbo wear.
    any removal in back pressure should improve power and economy as less energy is wasted pushing the exhaust gases out of the engine.
    if back pressure was ever a good thing everyone would be using smaller exhausts and more restrictive cats.

VXRed

You make a fair point, but what if that current turbo setup with the boost pressure and recirc valve is set for the current exhaust back pressure, surely reducing back pressure can have an affect on the turbo and its wear?

VXRed

would removing the backbox only, reduce back pressure?

VXRacing ahead

reply to post 2 steps above

why would it? the turbo spools quicker,i cant see how that effects wear,flat out,full boost might wear your turbo quicker.
    agree if you make changes you may need to make adjustments,ie a remap.

VXRed

Ok so would you say its pretty safe to remove the back box and just have straight through from resonator?

VXRacing ahead

i think any back pressure reduction would be very minimal if thats what you are asking.
    what are you hoping to achieve,a slightly louder exhaust note?

VXRed

Ye ax12, fully standard exhaust, to quiet. I've drove it with the back box disconnected, sounds much better! but just don't want to mess with it because its under vauxhall extended warranty still and don't want anything going bang ha...

VXRacing ahead

i think most people will tell you to try the remus exhaust.
    if you are literally removing the backbox i am not sure thats a good idea as gases could enter the car.the exhaust exits the rear(or sometimes side)for a reason

VXRed

Ye its just £££ though aha, I got a quote for a straight pipe from the resonator to the center exit of the diffuser, wasn't a bad price but obv would have the problem with warranty.
    I'd do it, but I think if there was a washer jet problem for example, they would somehow make out it was because of the exhaust aha.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast