Closed Thread
    VXRed

Default Failed Rear Shock Absorbers

Both of my rear shock absorbers have completely failed with oil covering them both. I've found a brand new OEM spec pair on eBay with dust covers and bump stops. My car is currently lowered on Apex 40mm lowering springs which are bumpy to say the least. My plans in the future are to upgrade to the B8 with DAP-R spring kit from Courtenay Sport but right now money is tight and the MOT is fast approaching.

My main concern when looking underneath the car is that the majority of the coils on the rear springs seem to be fully compressed with only really 1/2 coils holding the car up. Surely the coils should be evenly spread out suspending car's weight. What do you guys think?

VXR enough

No that sounds about right.

Car won't pass with leaking shocks though....I'd buy the rear B8 now then the fronts when you have money.

TBH with the B8s the bumpiness should go and you may not need the DAP springs.
    Corsa SRI Turbo (SOLD) and Facelift Corsa 1.4 SE (SOLD) - Now Ecoboost Fiesta 140 and Suzuki GS500

VXRed

Why do most of the coils fully compress? Surely that's not giving you much "suspension" at all.

Yeah think I'm going to buy the OEM shocks with dust covers and bump stops. That will do until I can upgrade the lot. Surely the Apex springs won't knacker the brand new shocks right away?

VXR enough

Nope - typically you can do a 35-40mm on standard shocks on most cars without any problems. Obviously they just won't last to 100k or anything...
    Corsa SRI Turbo (SOLD) and Facelift Corsa 1.4 SE (SOLD) - Now Ecoboost Fiesta 140 and Suzuki GS500

VXRed

Found these. They are both fully compatible with the VXR/1.6 SRi.

Pair of O.E. quality rear shock absorbers.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231526083118

O.E. quality rear dust cover and bump stop set.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291490318358

Closed Thread