+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: brakes

VXRed

Default brakes

hi all , i might be wanting some front brake discs soon for the insignia vxr the proper ones are about 750 a pair has any one else bought any cheeper ones that are ok thanks

Hi wayneh,

The topic has been discussed several times on here and basically, the verdic is that you can get cheaper discs, but many end up going for the OEM discs. The discs are okay, but there has been alot of comments about the pads being pretty bad. I haven't had any problems with them, but then again, I don't do much track driving and danish roads are very flat and quite straight, so they are not really put to the test. And upgrade pads aren't any more expensive than the OEM ones anyway.

I think it is mtec who will provide you with new rings for 220 quid, but before you add the refurb kit and the labour to collect the rings to the bells, they won't be that much cheaper anyway.

Autovaux will sell you a pair of OEMs for 670£.
    2010 Insignia OPC Sports Tourer

VXR newbie

Chevrolet camaro 6.2 discs fit but are solid no bells ect but only cost about 150

VXRed

does it matter if the bells are not separate , why are they in 2 bits anyway

To avoid warping when you really push them. As they float, they can expand uniformly without distorting as they aren't connected to the wheel hub.

I have just had mine replaced discs were £620. If you want to save money, you can buy new rings and reuse the bells. That is only £220 at mtec afaik. I wouldn't go for solid 1-piece...

Quote Originally Posted by Dalle1985 View Post
    To avoid warping when you really push them. As they float, they can expand uniformly without distorting as they aren't connected to the wheel hub.

Mine didn't get that memo. They will warp if you push them and cause huge vibrations, but once they cool off they seem to revert back to normal

Really... Never experienced that - it isn't because they jam on? I have heard several people who have experienced that the brembos can jam on if they get really hot and will only let go when they cool off. That would cause heavy vibration and the pedal will go soft or pulsate when you push it..

It was first experienced way back in 2010 by one of the first owners over in Germany, when he was repeatedly braking heavily from high speed on the Autobahn. A number of other owners had the same issue; yours truly included. Basically, the vent holes block up with brake dust leading to overheating. This manifests itself by severe vibration from the front end when brakes are applied. If you are unlucky, this happens asymmetrically and the car pulls to the side.

In my case it was symmetrical and I knew what was coming as soon as the vibrations started. The next symptom is that the calipers seem to lock on. Again, this can be asymmetrical. In my case, I could actually feel the heat through the wheel well and the drag on the transmission was obvious.

Pretty frightening stuff. I slowed to a crawl and let everything normalize rather than stopping, as the lot would have gone up in smoke. After about 5 minutes the calipers stopped seizing and the next stop was a high pressure car wash lance to blast the brake dust out of the discs. After that all returned to normal but I had the discs replaced under warranty shortly afterwards.

Hmm scary reading! Fortunately I haven't had that at all. I regularly drive at autobahn speeds (125 mph+) but the brakes have worked a treat the entire time. Just did a 200 km stint at 225 kph last week with a few Fairly heavy stops and a series of bedding in hard stops and there was nothing - but now I'm getting worried of experiencing something similar - brakes aren't really something you want to worry about letting you down on a car like this! :S

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast