+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: brakes

The brakes are okay for normal road use and motorway driving. However driving on mountain roads in the Alps and having complete failure on the Stelvio pass (on the way down) was the most frightening day of my life. Which is why I now have 6 pot AP Racing callipers and discs.

I don't rate the discs on these cars the callipers are quite good.

I would upgrade the discs and pads if you have the opportunity. There are uprated discs and pads around from some tuners, Thorney offer one using the existing callipers which seems reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For these reasons, I'm going to change my pads before they get anywhere near the limit.
    More pad material = more stuff to absorb heat before becoming overheated.

I really don't see any of these issues on mine. Only tried once where the brakes weren't rock solid - turned out the pads were almost gone and they had no wear indicator, new pads are on (and discs) and really can't make them even fade slightly. Did a 225 to 10 hard brake (hard enough to make my winter tyres squeel) followed by 8 x 100-10 hard stops to bed them in and no fade what-so-ever... Perhaps they've changed the pad material? If they are jamming on, it must be the pads.
    2010 Insignia OPC Sports Tourer

Quote Originally Posted by Dalle1985 View Post
    I really don't see any of these issues on mine. Only tried once where the brakes weren't rock solid - turned out the pads were almost gone and they had no wear indicator, new pads are on (and discs) and really can't make them even fade slightly. Did a 225 to 10 hard brake (hard enough to make my winter tyres squeel) followed by 8 x 100-10 hard stops to bed them in and no fade what-so-ever... Perhaps they've changed the pad material? If they are jamming on, it must be the pads.
    It's because it's so cold there they never over heat ha ha ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahh... That explains it! Well there you go... Move somewhere colder and all your brake wows will be gone! Problem solved. I'm probably just driving like a granny - thats why!

Descending a mountain pass quickly in a warm climate is probably the worst case scenario for brakes.
    On a track, you at least get some cooling along the faster sections.

I often thought "useful extra gauges" would include a brake temperature gauge, and a transmission fluid temperature gauge for Auto boxes. If you saw what was happening, you might back off before the strange and expensive burning smells filled the cabin...

Well at least brake fluid gauge... Haven't checked if it has that, but that could give some indication that things are starting to heat up!

VXRed

Which are the best/cheapest/easiest pads to get hold of at short notice for the insignias? I don't fancy paying dealer prices!!

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

Best and cheapest don't go together when it comes to pads. It's a two ton car capable of 0-60 in around 6 secs and on up to about 170 mph, depending on model. 'Nuff said. There are quality pads like Pagid and EBC Red for about £100- £135 (fronts). There's some debate about abrasion when it comes to pad vs disc rotor wear on non-OEM pads, however. If you think the pads are expensive; just wait until you have to replace the rotors!

I just paid the full whack for dealer pads and I was happy to do so. Those are the brakes (pardon the pun) and they are your last line of defence.

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by AJG View Post
    Best and cheapest don't go together when it comes to pads. It's a two ton car capable of 0-60 in around 6 secs and on up to about 170 mph, depending on model. 'Nuff said. There are quality pads like Pagid and EBC Red for about £100- £135 (fronts). There's some debate about abrasion when it comes to pad vs disc rotor wear on non-OEM pads, however. If you think the pads are expensive; just wait until you have to replace the rotors!

I just paid the full whack for dealer pads and I was happy to do so. Those are the brakes (pardon the pun) and they are your last line of defence.
    I know what the car does. I have ran it daily for the past 4 and a bit months and yesterday had a oem pad shatter on me!! I am looking to upgrade probably to the ap brakes in may (approx when these pads should have worn). But unfortunately I need the car back as soon as possible and won't be buying from vx when I can get as good if not better for the same price or cheaper. Also as for the those are the brakes comment. You would have thought they would have used better than base discs and pads on such a performance car!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast