+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: brakes

Wow, if you had an OEM pad self-destruct then you may have some comeback, depending on the life still left on the friction material. If you intend to replace rotors in the upgrade then it doesn't really matter if you opt for a more abrasive pad now. Most on here recommend Pagid but EBC Red Stuff are available at about £100. Try EBC.COM for their Dealer/Distributors and you may ne able to access some quickly.

I don't think you'll find anybody on here who is totally happy with the Brembos, but to be fair, most performance cars on steel rotors will fall short of heavy duty expectations. Because the car weighs so much, 'heavy duty' in this case isn't that heavy. With 4 pot calipers and aluminium top hat with floating rotors; you would think they would be better.

Default brakes

I have some oem pads left over the ones from the factory so if you want them they are yours no cost. Just cover the postage In box me if you want them. They might do you until you upgrade?

I know used pads on different Rotas etc in the long term are no good but if you are upgrading anyway soon it won't matter.

They have covered 16k miles

Let me know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16k miles - is there anything but the back plate left then?!

My last set of discs and pads lasted just under 16k miles... Something tells me the garage I bought it from gave it some proper beatings before I took it over - I know I have... If the next set doesn't last any longer I am going to upgrade to aftermarket rotors and pads. Only problem is that due to danish MOT requirements, I am not allowed to replace the calipers or change the rotor diameter in either direction unless the brake kit comes with a TÜV certificate or OEM approval (which you NEVER get for after market brakes) so that severely limits the options. I can put the absolute cheapest crap tires and pads/rotors on,mas long as they fit the standard calipers and have been "E"-certified (whatever that is)... Great!
    2010 Insignia OPC Sports Tourer

Quote Originally Posted by Dalle1985 View Post
    16k miles - is there anything but the back plate left then?!

My last set of discs and pads lasted just under 16k miles... Something tells me the garage I bought it from gave it some proper beatings before I took it over - I know I have... If the next set doesn't last any longer I am going to upgrade to aftermarket rotors and pads. Only problem is that due to danish MOT requirements, I am not allowed to replace the calipers or change the rotor diameter in either direction unless the brake kit comes with a TÜV certificate or OEM approval (which you NEVER get for after market brakes) so that severely limits the options. I can put the absolute cheapest crap tires and pads/rotors on,mas long as they fit the standard calipers and have been "E"-certified (whatever that is)... Great!
    Loads of meat left on them! As I drove live an old woman plus I live on a island that is 5 miles by 9 and a maximum speed of 40MPH so you get loads miles out of pads here! Now I have a set of uprated pads that did around 6k miles including the Alps in Italy and they are completely goosed!!! They are not available lol

On the upgrades there is a kit that uses the OEM callipers but changes the lines discs and pads could be the way to go!

I can't help thinking the rear discs are small compared to the fronts, which helps stability, but means that the fronts are doing almost all the work.
    VXR Front Discs = 355mm
    VXR Rear Discs = 315mm

If you buy a 435i, it's 370mm fronts and 345mm rears, which could be a better balance.

21k miles here, and my front discs are fine, but the front pads don't look as if they have a lot of material left.
    Last edited by dvinell; 7th March 2016 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dvinell View Post
    I can't help thinking the rear discs are small compared to the fronts, which helps stability, but means that the fronts are doing almost all the work.
    VXR Front Discs = 355mm
    VXR Rear Discs = 315mm

If you buy a 435i, it's 370mm fronts and 345mm rears, which could be a better balance.

21k miles here, and my front discs are fine, but the front pads don't look as if they have a lot of material left.
    I also thought so, when I was upgrading mine I pushed to have the same size or similar on the rear, (even said to put the OEM front brakes on the rear) but after a length discussion with my tuner he was adamant that it would actually make the car more unstable and they were not needed as the brake bias is around 80/20 split. All I would be doing is adding weight and the bigger discs could affect the stability when braking hard. In end I listened to him. I get the point on the fronts doing all the work but if you have big enough and good enough brakes I guess it doesn't matter!

So I settled for matching upgraded but smaller groves discs and upgraded pads with OEM callipers.

Front brakes are doing the most work anyway, so I don't think it makes much difference in terms of wear, but it will affect stability if you make them bigger. I've bought a set of cross drilled brembos performance discs for the rear as mine are almost gone. Cost about 150£ for a pair in germany.
    2010 Insignia OPC Sports Tourer

I've just been through most of the above.

The Brembo Drilled rotors and standard Brembo pads are shockingly poor.

They are fine and can cope with day to day road use, but start asking them to deal with fast road or track day use and they soon give in.

I ran them on the Nurburgring and at Oulton Park and was shocked at how poor and how quickly they gave up and started to fade.

The holes very quickly clog up with brake dust rendering them next to useless and the pads are way to soft, not providing much brake pedal feed back.

I've just upgraded to Race Grooved Rotors matched to Yellow Stuff pads and they are already out performing the standard set up after 2 days and not fully bedded in yet. I opted for Yellow Stuff over Red Stuff, as Red Stuff is a very aggressive compound with it being ceramic based and very hard on the rotors, Yellow Stuff is more rotor friendly and good for on track. The set up is providing lovely brake pedal feel and stopping power (covered on another thread)

Will match the rears once needing replaced.

The brake upgrade is a must, and they now feel like 4 Pots should

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dave_W; 15th April 2016 at 04:41 PM.

Default brakes

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_W View Post
    I've just been through most of the above.

The Brembo Drilled rotors and standard Brembo pads are shockingly poor.

They are fine and can cope with day to day road use, but start asking them to deal with fast road or track day use and they soon give in.

I ran them on the Nurburgring and at Oulton Park and was shocked at how poor and how quickly they gave up and started to fade.

The holes very quickly clog up with brake dust rendering them next to useless and the pads are way to soft, not providing much brake pedal feed back.

I've just upgraded to Race Grooved Rotors matched to Yellow Stuff pads and they are already out performing the standard set up after 2 days and not fully bedded in yet. I opted for Yellow Stuff over Red Stuff, as Red Stuff is a very aggressive compound with it being ceramic based and very hard on the rotors, Yellow Stuff is more rotor friendly and good for on track. The set up is providing lovely brake pedal feel and stopping power (covered on another thread)

Will match the rears once needing replaced.

The brake upgrade is a must, and they now feel like 4 Pots should

You should feel how the 6 pots bite hugely improved over the standard set up...... Buy far the best upgrade I have done to my car!

I couldn't afford to go the whole hogg at the moment but may consider 6 pots depending on how far I take the lump

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast