+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 309
  1. #21
    VXRed
    Join Date
    5th April 2015
    Posts
    22

    Default

    No its just a normal Holden Commodore SSV and is very much a competitor to the insignia here in every respect including size

    Price 24000 pounds new
    307kw and 570nm
    Weighs 1730kg
    0-100 in 4.9
    400m in 13.4
    Fuel consumption 18.6mpg

    versus's

    Holden Insignia VXR
    24000pounds new
    239kw
    435nm
    1793kg
    0-100 6.3
    400m 15.0
    MPG 20.8

    The Ford Falcon here is faster again, but a little dated

    https://youtu.be/FYEsjOVp2-E

    Heres the HSV supercharged version up against the Ford

    https://youtu.be/e-jnB49-nzQ

    Faster but at 39000 pounds for the HSV supercharged version I reckon the best bang for your buck is in the standard Commodore SS



    Anyway I digress!.....I was hoping to achieve the same sort of performance figures as a Standard SS Commodore with my Insignia with a chip and exhaust (because the Insignia looks fast....but isnt )

    Although it looks like that is not going to happen due to GM in all there wisdom fitting a pissy little factory turbo which is almost maxed already

    Has anyone got any factual acceleration figures for Insignias that have been modified, or indeed standard as I have struggled to find anything
    Last edited by GTREA; 3rd December 2015 at 10:57 AM.

  2. #22
    VXR enough JamesPD1975's Avatar
    Join Date
    19th March 2013
    Posts
    1,149

    Default getting to the 400 mark

    I haven't had the opportunity to do the 0 - 60 test since my upgrades but the best I could get with just a map and exhaust was 5.9. It is supposed to be 5.6!

    However we all know the quoted manufactures 0-60 figures rarely live up to the real world.

    I will test and let you know.......


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JamesPD1975; 3rd December 2015 at 04:41 PM.

  3. #23
    VXRed
    Join Date
    5th April 2015
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesPD1975 View Post
    I haven't had the opportunity to do the 0 - 60 test since my upgrades but the best I could get with just a map and exhaust was 5.9. It is supposed to be 5.6!

    However we all know the quoted manufactures 0-60 figures rarely live up to the real world.

    I will test and let you know.......


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ok so this thread spurred me on to do a little testing.

    Totally standard 2013 Opel Insignia OPC auto, in OPC mode, car shifting itself, and oh dear.................



    I did a few runs and they were all about the same, then tested on the cars stopwatch....yep as suspected as slow as a wet week!



    If it was manual and you could dial in some revs and launch it harder a 6.3 claim is entirely possible, but in the Auto, (Boost restricted first 2 gears?) and with max torque not coming in until a ridiculous 5200rpm it takes an eternity to get going

    So yeah James 5.6 - 5.9 for a chip and exhaust is probably on the money for those mods based on the rather slow base figures I achieved

    I think the main thing to getting these things to perform better against the stopwatch is getting that torque to come in lower, it doesn't need any more power to chop a second off its 0 -100 time it just needs the torque / boost to come on quicker.

    I don't see the point in Opel / Vauxhall running such a small turbo, when the whole point of running a small turbo is to get the turbo to spool quicker and have the torque delivered around the 2000rpm mark for better response and acceleration and then nobbling the only advantage it has over fitting a larger turbo as it doesn't provide the kick when it does finally come on boost the big turbo would....worst of both worlds


    edit: I know my testing methods were hardly scientific / 100% accurate but they were consistent and wont be far off the mark.
    Last edited by GTREA; 4th December 2015 at 03:12 AM.

  4. #24
    VXR enough JamesPD1975's Avatar
    Join Date
    19th March 2013
    Posts
    1,149

    Default getting to the 400 mark

    The 5.6 0-60 time is quoted here from standard so achieving a 5.9 with a chip and some hardware changes is poor!

    There are some reasonings behind the car having lower boost etc in the lower gears. The biggest and poorest is the clutch, here they fit the same one as the 2.0l turbo. Mine used to slip all the time. Now I have a high performance Sachs race one fitted and that is all solved.

    The F40 box is right on the limit with the Torque the car produces as standard and I have seen someone quote that 1st gear is only good for 325nm torque. So if the clutch and gear box are week GM will only put on the size of turbo that is absolutely necessary. Remember GM tend to use the cheapest components they can get away with, I haven't even begun to mention the weakness of the Haldex unit and the maximum torque number it can handle. Having just tuned mine to 600nm torque with 390BHP (on a new engine so should finish around 400 BHP or about 300kw in your money) I spent around a third to half of my budget, strengthening or changing the weak components before adding the power.

    The turbo I am using the same housing and have had Owens redo the internals and it is running at 38psi

    So that brings me to the my final point these really are not traffic light Grand Prix Cars but more of a GT Car. If you tune the car and do standing start after standing start at full power you will cook the clutch, hurt your gearbox and probably kill the Haldex.

    So far I have no issues with the gearbox but I will not be surprised if something happens but I am not giving it full beans off the line. If it goes then it will be off to have that sorted!!!

    P.S mine is manual........

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JamesPD1975; 4th December 2015 at 09:18 AM.

  5. #25
    VXRed blooded james400's Avatar
    Join Date
    22nd November 2015
    Posts
    300

    Default

    To me its about being different yes it may only be a insignia but people dont expect how quick it can be and some of us cant go out and spend 20/30k on a car so why not send abit and show some of the big money spenders we can keep up lol
    Quote Originally Posted by GTREA View Post
    With a Bluefin tune and exhaust your looking at what....380hp?

    Is it worth spending all the extra for another 20hp or so?

    Ive looked at it and to me personally its just not worth the effort on the Insignia to go any further than a chip and exhaust....but then I don't like to overcapitalize on cars...I just like to reach the point of the best bang for your buck.

    I also live in Australia and can buy this with over 400hp from the factory, its lighter, cheaper and has massive scope for cheap(ish) mods which also effects my decision


  6. #26
    VXRed blooded james400's Avatar
    Join Date
    22nd November 2015
    Posts
    300

    Default

    Hi all ive pulled the injector out and checked them against the focus rs ones but they are different also check with bosch and thay say the flow is different because of the pressure from the pumps so it was worth a go tho so now i need help with getting my hands on some bigger injector ive tryed to contact martint93t but nothing
    Quote Originally Posted by james400 View Post
    Thanks for that looks like the part number also cross over to the focus rs witch I have so will see if they fit and let you no

  7. #27
    VXR enough Brimfull's Avatar
    Join Date
    2nd June 2013
    Posts
    2,838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by james400 View Post
    Hi guys I'm looking at getting the car to 400bhp so what is needed to get there as I've been told it's new turbo and injectors if so what turbo and what injectors ??

    Deep pockets 😄
    Brimfull's Vauxhall History, Cavalier Sri 8v, 2x Calibra 16v, Omega V6, Vectra B Gsi, 2x Vectra C Sri 2.2, Vectra C Sri Cdti 150, Meriva Design, Astra Ls, Vectra Vxr

  8. #28
    VXRed Griffin dai's Avatar
    Join Date
    11th May 2013
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by james400 View Post
    Hi all ive pulled the injector out and checked them against the focus rs ones but they are different also check with bosch and thay say the flow is different because of the pressure from the pumps so it was worth a go tho so now i need help with getting my hands on some bigger injector ive tryed to contact martint93t but nothing
    I'll fire him a quick text now mate and point him to this thread
    Saab 9³ v6 Aero
    JZW Stage 5 tune, Insignia VXR turbo, 550cc injectors, Evo 90mm IC, 3" system
    Quaife LSD, CG777 paddle clutch, BPS Short Shifter, Eibachs, B8's, Michellin PS4

  9. #29
    VXRed blooded
    Join Date
    21st August 2012
    Posts
    340

    Default

    Just read through.

    400bhp is a straight forward.

    19T or 20T billet turbo.
    Intercooler
    3" downpipe and mid pipe.
    550cc injectors.
    3.5 bar map sensor.
    Stage 5 map.

    Griffin dai has the info clutch's.
    Saab Turbo X 2.8V6T XWD - JZW stage 1 REV 1 - 321bhp 437 ft-lbs / 592NM

  10. #30
    VXR enough JamesPD1975's Avatar
    Join Date
    19th March 2013
    Posts
    1,149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GTREA View Post
    Ok so this thread spurred me on to do a little testing.

    Totally standard 2013 Opel Insignia OPC auto, in OPC mode, car shifting itself, and oh dear.................



    I did a few runs and they were all about the same, then tested on the cars stopwatch....yep as suspected as slow as a wet week!



    If it was manual and you could dial in some revs and launch it harder a 6.3 claim is entirely possible, but in the Auto, (Boost restricted first 2 gears?) and with max torque not coming in until a ridiculous 5200rpm it takes an eternity to get going

    So yeah James 5.6 - 5.9 for a chip and exhaust is probably on the money for those mods based on the rather slow base figures I achieved

    I think the main thing to getting these things to perform better against the stopwatch is getting that torque to come in lower, it doesn't need any more power to chop a second off its 0 -100 time it just needs the torque / boost to come on quicker.

    I don't see the point in Opel / Vauxhall running such a small turbo, when the whole point of running a small turbo is to get the turbo to spool quicker and have the torque delivered around the 2000rpm mark for better response and acceleration and then nobbling the only advantage it has over fitting a larger turbo as it doesn't provide the kick when it does finally come on boost the big turbo would....worst of both worlds


    edit: I know my testing methods were hardly scientific / 100% accurate but they were consistent and wont be far off the mark.
    Okay just been out in her, and tried some standing starts and the first 3 were terrible, the ESP kept cutting in never had it do that in the dry before!!!! Best I could do was 6.1 Sec.

    Quick read of the manual and switched off the ESP and managed 5.2 Sec with a top speed of 64.9 so guess I hit the stop button a bit late I could be generous and say flat 5 sec but probably more like 5.1. That's on 95 fuel and it's windy would love to try it on the 99 Fuel with no wind......


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts