Closed Thread

Thread: Decat exhaust.

Default Decat exhaust.

I've just bought a astra VXR and have been told it has a decat exhaust. the exhaust is pretty loud. am i likely to be pulled over by the police for the noise? also if there is no cat in the exhaust will this fail an MOT?

The only slow captain on vxro CaptainSlow's Avatar

You can get pulled over by the Police, what exhaust is it?

Yes, without the Cat you will fail the MOT.
    Opel Nürburgring Edition No.534 / PSN - ItzMrGoodKat / IG - ItzMrGoodKat

If your very friendly with the garage and mot he might nurse it through on low revs. . ..but i wouldnt wanna rely on just that ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by Jiron14 View Post
    I've just bought a astra VXR and have been told it has a decat exhaust. the exhaust is pretty loud. am i likely to be pulled over by the police for the noise? also if there is no cat in the exhaust will this fail an MOT?
    You really need to find out exactly what mods and exhaust your car has. If it has a straight through 3 inch exhaust and was mapped with it then trying to bolt on a stock cat isn't going to work.

Quote Originally Posted by GymJunkie View Post
    You really need to find out exactly what mods and exhaust your car has. If it has a straight through 3 inch exhaust and was mapped with it then trying to bolt on a stock cat isn't going to work.
    I'll check what stuff it's got. I wasn't told that when I bought the car

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
    You can get pulled over by the Police, what exhaust is it?

Yes, without the Cat you will fail the MOT.
    It's a scorpion decat exhaust? Not sure why type or anything

In a nutshell unless you go to cruises or hang round Mcdonalds car park at night your unlikely to get an emissions check. If its really loud the Police might pull you and say you need to get it changed. I know a lot of people who run decats, never ever has anyone looked to see if the cars have a cat or not even if they get pulled for excessive exhaust noise.

I got pulled for 'racing an audi off the lights' in my Civic (decatted) they just commented the exhaust was 'probably illegal' and left it at that. Then when the car was written off by a bint in a Jag and they came to inspect it he didn't even notice the exhaust.

Basically what im saying is that unless your an anti social driver or have a really loud exhaust, even if you get pulled its unlikely anyone will notice you have a decat let alone fine you for it.

Closed Thread