Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    VXRed

Default Burg AFL halogen to LED (help needed)

Hi guys,

Long time reader (thanks for all the great info), kind of recent sign-up and first-time poster.
    I have a 2011 Corsa OPC Nürburgring Edition and I'm tired of the halogens, so I was looking into switching them over to white LEDs which I got form Horizon LEDS in the UK.
    My healights are AFL, I bought some H9s for the low/dipped beam, some H1s for the cornering lights, some PY21W for the indicators, W21 5W for the DRLs and H10s for the fogs.
    My main problem at the moment is that I can't fit the H9s and I'd like your advice on this guys because I'm sure you guys out here have been down this path too. I went with LEDs instead of HIDs and atm I'm feeling kind of screwed.
    Here is a link that shows the H9 and the H9B bulbs (original halogen ones) and, the inside of the headlight assembly. Bulbs & headlight innards pics I'm pretty sure you can tell by the pictures what my problem is, the H9Bs have exposed spades that rotate into place into the connector on the bottom of the AFL cone. The H9 bulb has the spade connectors shrouded in some plastic housing. Is there anyway around this? Some sort of adapter I can buy or something?
    H1s haven't arrived yet so I cant say anything about those yet.
    I failed to install the indicators up front, because I was a bit of a dummy, I managed to install them in the rear and in doing so, I think I figured out why I couldn't install them up front. I tried everything, except pushing them down whilst rotating them, which is what releases them in the back, so I suspect that was why I failed.
    I do have the hyper flash problem now but the guys at Horizon LEDs tell me I can sort it out with some resistors, although from the wiring diagram I have no idea how I'm going to accomplish that. 50w-canbus-led-resistor They are supposed to attach to the positive and negative leads of the socket but as you all know the rear lights on the Corsa do not have the backs of the sockets exposed, they all fit into their individual sockets inside a cluster that has a single electrical connector going into it.
    The H10s are a no go, I need to switch them out for H11 bulbs, the engineer at the local dealership steered me wrong there and he also steered me wrong on the dipped beams he said H7 but I knew they were H9b so I just ignored that.
    As for the DRLs, that was quite the story, 1 worked a couple of times and then went out the same day, I didn't even do any continuous driving, the other one I dropped inside of the wing, so I had to drop the bumper to extricate it, only to find out it didn't work, at least on the right headlight. I eventually tried it on the left one and it worked but the same thing happened, eventually it stopped working, and one of the contacts oxidized and it smell burnt. What could this be?

I really need help/advice from the great community within this forum.
    I don't know what you guys think. Should I perhaps go with a Lush Lighting City HID kit for the dipped beam? Or some other type of bulbs you guys know about? Or perhaps there is a solution to my connector problem? What do you guys think of the idea of LEDs in general?
    I'm thinking of doing the entire rear clusters while I'm at it. Do you anticipate I will have any further problems besides the hyper flashing?

Best regards,
    André

P.S. - if you guys are interested I have some pics of the indicators assembled and flashing and I have pictures of the 1 DRL that worked, while it worked.
    Last edited by hitmanmcc; 12th June 2016 at 04:37 PM.

VXR Nothing comes close Tom_Y2K4's Avatar

Hi and welcome to the land of the posting

First things first, as far as i know the H9's won't fit. Like you say, the bases are completely different. Secondly, i'd be really surprised if your LED fitting would have sufficient light output to actually drive safely?

Fogs are H11 as you've already identified.

I've currently got Xencn Headlights that are a straight swap, bright enough and a nice colour

http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...=1#post3738664
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyp90 View Post
    Yes Tom! You're a freaking genius!
    Corsa "user guide" , VXR Car Game
    South East Regional Organiser

PSN: TomFL12

Some of the most modern leds have greater output than the best halogens

Not really suited to projector housing though unless designed for them and a lot of scatter from halogen housing, so best placed low as not to dazzle other road users.
    No UV produced unlike HIDs. These work perfectly as day running lights.
    OPC ÉIRE
    Drop me a PM for Irish meets, group adds etc.

OP, you need a different LED decoder that'll act as an intermediate adapter to connect the original connectors and then plug into the bulb rather than the poor looking universal resistors that they intend to supply. Drop me a PM if you want.
    OPC ÉIRE
    Drop me a PM for Irish meets, group adds etc.

Quote Originally Posted by VeXeR View Post
    Not really suited to projector housing though unless designed for them and a lot of scatter from halogen housing, so best placed low as not to dazzle other road users.
    Halogen housings causing excessive scatter also then means poor road output; Hence drive safely.

Personally i'd stick to Halogen as it doesn't need any d-cking about with resistors, etc

VXRed

Thanks @VeXeR, I think I just might do that.

VXRed

@Tom_Y2K4 Thanks for the welcome and many thanks for introducing me to these Xencn bulbs. In spite of having a lot of hours of research into this, I had not come across those. My interest is piqued. How would you rate the against OEM Xenons? Or against HID kits like the one from Lush Lighting City? Do you know of any comparison tests or reviews I can look up online? Perhaps some that aided you in making your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by hitmanmcc View Post
    @Tom_Y2K4 Thanks for the welcome and many thanks for introducing me to these Xencn bulbs. In spite of having a lot of hours of research into this, I had not come across those. My interest is piqued. How would you rate the against OEM Xenons? Or against HID kits like the one from Lush Lighting City? Do you know of any comparison tests or reviews I can look up online? Perhaps some that aided you in making your choice.
    If i'm honest i bought them on an absolute and complete whim. There was a guy on here who said he'd tried them and i thought why not.

Light output against standard is comparable but, because they're a whiter/bluer light, they're more noticeable on the road. To be completely honest they won't compare against HIDs/Xenons just for the fact that they're halogen. But they're a straight swap and easy to do.

VXRed

@Tom_Y2K4, I see. Well I got the idea for the LEDs because I bought the car second-hand and I thought it was kind of stupid of the original owner not to have gone for Xenon headlights... The aesthetic aspect of it is nice but more than that, I want better visibility. So when I saw this Eric The Car Guy swapping the halogens on his Honda Odyssey for LED bulbs, I figured: "Hey, this is exactly what I want!!!". In any case, we'll see where my upgrade path might take me but I'm glad to finally that there is someone out there making H9Bs halogens that at least output whiter light.

VXRed

@VeXeR the guys at Horizon LEDs suggested that there might be a chance that I can stabilize the indicators by switching out a relay in my fuse box. Would you happen to know anything about this?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast