Closed Thread
    VXR newbie

Default Meriva OPC/VXR big brake kit?

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forums! Moving to Switzerland from the Netherlands in less than a month, and I want to/am going to pick up a Meriva OPC (continental VXR) as a daily driver, but I'm also planning on paying frequent visits to the Nurburgring on my way to either of the two countries!

I'm all about safety when it comes to spirited driving, and I want to do some upgrades to the car to make sure it's well-suited for the Ring-job (pun not intended). These are the mods I'm planning on doing:

18x7.5 inch Corsa D OPC/VXR wheels with 225/35-R18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires
    KW Variant I inox coilovers
    A brake upgrade, but no idea which.

All three mods seem vital to safe and continuous performing on the Nordschleife, but it's the brakes that I've no idea about what to do with. Obviously some fresh brake fluid, fresh performance pads and braided brake lines would do a nice job, but I'm thinking of going bigger. I've spotted the Vectra VXR Brake Upgrade by Regal Autosport for the Corsa D... And I was wondering if this exact brake kit would fit a Meriva? Any thoughts?

Granted, I haven't driven a Meriva VXR/OPC myself, so I've no idea if the big brake upgrade would be necessary for track days or Nordschleife driving, or whether better pads and braided brake lines would be enough. Any thoughts on that? Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

Jochem

VXR newbie

I've found this thread saying that Meriva VXR and Corsa C brakes are interchangeable: ASTRA or VECTRA VXR brakes on a Merv ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jochem View Post
    I've found this thread saying that Meriva VXR and Corsa C brakes are interchangeable: ASTRA or VECTRA VXR brakes on a Merv ?
    That thread says the Caliper carriers are the same as the Corsa C NOT the brake discs and calipers. The largest discs fitted to a Corsa C are 280mm, the Meriva VXR/OPC are 308mm as standard.

That thread also states by two members on here who tried and tested the Meriva VXR a few years back and enjoyed track days with them, that the Meriva Brakes are as good as the Astra VXR brakes as standard.

nothing wrong with the mervs brakes IMO,get a decent set of pads,decent discs with braided hoses and they are excellent ,they may only be a single pot caliper but so are the S3,golf R32 etc ,also the discs are 308 mm which is larger than GTST skylines...and i have run 500 bhp on a GTST with standard caliper and same size (although uprated) 298mm discs
    I'd try this first, then if you're not happy with that then look at fitting larger discs.

Currently Driving - Lotus Carlton - Astra TwinTop - MINI Clubman Cooper - Nova GSi
    Written off - Meriva VXR

VXR newbie

Thanks! Yeah, from what I've read in several reviews, the 308 mil brakes do a stellar job slowing the car down, so maybe if they last for a couple of laps on the Ring, it's not necessary swapping them for larger units..

A set of good pads will have you licking the dash under hard breaking in the Merv. I had a set of Mintex race pads in mine and changed them out as the initial bite gave passengers whiplash.

VXR newbie

Great! That's just what I need! Thanks!

VXRed

I think a problem with the meriva on the ring might be that you can't switch off the esp

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A bit off topic - you might want to invest in a Whiteline rear anti roll bar (RARB) - Astra G and Astra H ones will fit the Meriva spot on.

For the brakes if you can get a kit to fit the Corsa C , it will fit the Meriva (same front hubs) - you make find more luck finding brake kits that fit the Corsa.

Joff
    Still not doing standard
    Meriva Z20LET/LEH project

Closed Thread