+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by genman View Post
    I'm looking at one of these myself but all I'm seeing is a bracket with a different pivot point vs stock.... anyone tried just modifying the stock lever .?
    If not I may have a go myself depending how the stock pivot is fitted.
    I did on an Astra H.

Measure and mark;

Drill;

You even have the option to do both levers;

Trial fit to see if anything rubs/needs filing before using a small tack of weld to secure pivot pins.
    Turn over a plastic cap in the lathe

OPC ÉIRE- Drop me a PM for Irish meets, group adds etc.

VXRed blooded

So i bought the M-tech shifter and its a quality part.... easy enough to fit without removing anything as i've small hands....just needed a 15mm 3/8 drive socket and a few extension bars...old lever wiggled off eventually....all in maybe 20mins
    Short test drive and its certainly a shorter shift and a very positive gear change feel....more in character with the car
    Plan to mod the old shifter now and test it on my diesel insignia.

VXRed blooded

Today i modified the original shifter arm for my Diesel Insignia..just took a guess at a new pivot point.... and it works almost as well as the M-tech ...just doesn't feel as solid on gear changes to 2nd and 6th as the rubber damper is still active... I'll get that sorted with a quick dab of the welder.
    Very cheap mod and anyone with access to a welder could easily DIY their own version.

VXRed

m-tech is a good mod

VXRed blooded

4 months on and I decided the heavy feel of the short shifter was bugging me. So simple solution... Lightened the weight on the end of it... Same precise gear shift feel but without the clunk.
    Lightened by drilling 8x 10mm 1/2 depth holes on the under side....leaves the option to go lighter or fill it back in with a welder.
    Short road test and much nicer around town especially 2nd to 3rd.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2