+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    VXRed

Default New/replacement radio CD player

I have 2007 VXR8 and the radio/CD is shot. I have looked at previous posts by a previous owner and it would seem he had plenty of problems with the CD side of it.

If I buy a second hand unit from Oz or USA is there a code or programming required please.
    Have asked a few breakers on UK fleabay but none come back to me with availability but they seem readily available in Oz and US.

Thank You.

From memory the head units are code protected. Wherever you purchase the new head unit from make sure it comes with a code otherwise it's worthless. If there is no code then you will need the vin number of the vehicle the unit came out from and try to obtain the code from Holden, that may be tricky as your overseas and they generally charge the you for the privilege .... you can sometimes get codes off of the interweb but not sure how reliable they are.

As someone whose been down this road... don't go there.
    USA head units won't work properly even with the unlock codes.
    The audio will be fine (some steering controls may not function though, like the phone answer button) but mainly your HVAC controls will be useless.
    Pontiac units don't send/receive the same canbus HVAC codes as the Holden head units. They are also Fahrenheit not Celsius. I think the zone and auto climate controls are inverted too.
    Basically it's a non-starter in every way.

Your best bet is a Aus unit with the code, or better still hook up the rear aux input up to an mp3 player, bypass the cd player entirely, and skip a whole ton of head unit swap headaches.

VXRed

Thank you chaps. Mine already has the rear aux fitted in below the arm rest. Sadly it only works intermittently with the head unit sometimes giving great sounds and other times just a muffled sound.

Thanks for the heads up on Pontiac units as they look really cheap, def saved me some money there.

Personally I listen to the exhaust but the better half prefers a bit of music now and again.

Are you VXR enough?

Well gents as some might remember i have had problems with mine over the last few years so today i took the head unit out and its going for repair monday ,to be honnest it came out easy so will keep you posted on what happens next

Quote Originally Posted by Mantahatch View Post
    ...sometimes giving great sounds and other times just a muffled sound...
    Hmm sounds like a loose connection somewhere, either at your armrest or round the back of the unit. Or maybe a broken wire.
    If Lloyd can get his fixed maybe you can send yours to the same place...?

VXRed

That would be great to know if you get yours fixed and where you got it done please.

Not going to discount a fault anywhere at the moment, but as said have been reading posts about the similar problem a previous owner of my car had so quite expecting the worst news.

Are you VXR enough?

Well its not looking good the 3 place,s i tried all said no chance ,got 1 more iron in the fire to try

keep us updated - useful info
    Hoovering up the road

2007 VXR8

Walkinshaw Performance Power Pack, Headers and Supersport Cats. Ebay Antenna.

Are you VXR enough?

Dropped head unit off this morning ,guys says he can repair it but they are very painfull to do ,so we will see what the cost is latter in the week

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast