+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    VXRed blooded

You should hit 400 with custom exhaust, performance filter, larger FMIC and a good map. Or close to anyway.
    The recall thing has been discussed lots. Vauxhall chose to bury their heads in the sand, then charge customers £3k+ for a new diff. And if unlucky enough new propshaft and gearbox as well.
    Stage 1 will probably add 20-30 hp, but around 100 mid range. It opens up the mid range more rather than top end. It is a huge difference. With a decat, I'm sure it was a stage 2 map.

Default Looking to buy a Insignia VXR.

Not sure I agree they are a minefield. Main issues are the chains and the haldex. Both very expensive, yes, but some good remedies are available to fix those.

The chains are only an issue on cars who haven't had them done and 2010 engines (there is a thread on here with exact engine serials for affected cars). If you go to VX it will cost anywhere from 2500 to 4000£ but Nick150 on here can do it for less than 1500£ I believe.

The haldex - well that really is a lemon. But thorney motorsports have an upgrade/rebuild solution of the unit which is only 1/3 the cost of a new unit and which will accomodate a lot more power.

Rust - here in Denmark there was a recall of early models (but only '08 and '09 models) to have the rear wheel assembly removed to improve rust protection in the rear 1/4 subframe, but that should not be applicable to any VXRs.

In general, you should try to avoid previously tuned cars - it might have been done by reputable tuner, but if the guy driving it has been driving it pants on fire, it could very well be completely wrecked - but that is true for any previously tuned car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dalle1985; 9th January 2017 at 08:45 AM.
    2010 Insignia OPC Sports Tourer

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by Dalle1985 View Post
    Not sure I agree they are a minefield. Main issues are the chains and the haldex. Both very expensive, yes, but some good remedies are available to fix those.

The chains are only an issue on cars who haven't had them done and 2010 engines (there is a thread on here with exact engine serials for affected cars). If you go to VX it will cost anywhere from 2500 to 4000£ but Nick150 on here can do it for less than 1500£ I believe.

The haldex - well that really is a lemon. But thorney motorsports have an upgrade/rebuild solution of the unit which is only 1/3 the cost of a new unit and which will accomodate a lot more power.

Rust - here in Denmark there was a recall of early models (but only '08 and '09 models) to have the rear wheel assembly removed to improve rust protection in the rear 1/4 subframe, but that should not be applicable to any VXRs.

In general, you should try to avoid previously tuned cars - it might have been done by reputable tuner, but if the guy driving it has been driving it pants on fire.

Not a mine field ? 🤔
    Seem a few expensive problems to look out for.
    Very soon will for sale as it isn't economic to repair them 😢

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VXRed blooded

Lets face it Dalle, there is always something wrong with these cars. Whether it be throttle bodies, actuators, chains, Haldex, expansion tanks, brake discs/calipers etc.
    I have had mine tuned and certainly don't thrash it. I did it only to bring the car up to the standard it should have been when it left the factory.
    Last edited by Doorman; 9th January 2017 at 10:03 AM.

I really don't agree. Haldex and Chains on early models, yes - but the rest are non-different than so many other cars. I've owned two Insignias over the last 4 years and the only issue what so ever was the chains, which were replaced by the dealer free of charge. My parents have had all BMW 5-series models since the E39, and when I look at the issues they've had to go through on their 3 530d cars, then I am more than happy with the reliability of my car. The F11 they are driving now have had it's gearbox replaced, the HP fuel pump has been replaced (at the whopping cost of 2800£ plus labour) and just a few months ago, they had to replace the entire wiring loom for the boot lid and rear lights which was 1200 for the loom and another 800 for the replacement. And that car is only 4 years old.

Throttle bodies - haven't heard of any, JamesPD1972 had an issue with his as far as I remember, but that was a wiring loom which had been chaffed.
    Actuators - these will wear. I changed the one I had on my Seat Leon, on my Vedtra OPC and now I've replaced the one on the Insignia, although it actually hadn't broken and the spring looked just fine when I pried it apart
    Expansion tank - yes, that is an issue, but not really a deal breaker, now is it?
    What is wrong witht the brakes? Yes they are expensive and yes, brakes on a 1800 kg car are going to wear, however my mate just had his rear discs for his ML63 AMG replaced and they cost 640£ + labour and pads. I paid 900£ for all discs and pads.

Mine has done 140.000 km and I have all the bills from it and it has never had anything replaced except the chains. So no, I truly don't agree that they are a mine field. A car which is going on 6 years is bound to have issues, especially if it is pushing 300+ hp. If you buy any of the other german cars at six years and you will also have issues.

VXRed blooded

Okay each to their own. But I'm only going by what I read on this very forum week in week out. If your car is good, then you are one of the lucky ones. But it's almost every week someone is starting a new thread with the exact same questions that have been popping up since I joined 1.5 years ago.

VXRed blooded

If anyone else would like to comment regarding this discussion, feel free. It would be interesting to know what owners really think.
    Last edited by Doorman; 9th January 2017 at 06:05 PM.

ok, I side with Morten, you only hear the bad side of things, I have had mine for 4 years, yes the haldex went but it was replaced under warranty, not all cars are subject to the chains, as said there is a post with the VIN numbers of those cars likely to suffer.

my VXR history: Arden Corsa, Astra Nurburgring, Corsa Arctic, Evoke VXR8, Black Corsa, Silver Vectra, a long weekend with an Insignia, a chilli burger and now a siggy tourer!

90% of threads on forums are people having problems, forums are great for people to offer help to others. It's unfair to judge any particular car based on forum posts as they are mainly relating to issues and don't really give a true reflection of any car.
    Brimfull's Vauxhall History, Cavalier Sri 8v, 2x Calibra 16v, Omega V6, Vectra B Gsi, 2x Vectra C Sri 2.2, Vectra C Sri Cdti 150, Meriva Design, Astra Ls, Vectra Vxr

The scene here in Denmark is fairly small (they only ever sold about 80 cars here) and I've spoken to probably 12 or 15 of them. Two had the chains replaced, both courtesy of Opel. My local garage have replaced a haldex unit on one - courtesy of Opel. I really do think they have a reputation they don't deserve, yes there are issues, but name a german performance sedan and I'll name at least three issues with each of them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast