+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Scalextric

Quote Originally Posted by moeman View Post
    hence the hinges, stored against the back wall and folded down when time to play
    I missed that. Good plan.
    MikeyP - Meriva

Will be worth upgrading to either Digital or App Race Control. Transforms the old two lane set up.

Currently Driving - Lotus Carlton - Astra TwinTop - Meriva VXR - Nova GSi

Quote Originally Posted by Keif View Post
    Will be worth upgrading to either Digital or App Race Control. Transforms the old two lane set up.
    Yeah been reading good things. Hmmm...
    MikeyP - Meriva

mine is digital, looking forward to swapping lanes. When I was a lad I had a set with a small wheel on the controller than moved the pick up arm from side to side so allowed you to move your car on it's slot, probably worth a few bob now if only I still had it!

my VXR history: Arden Corsa, Astra Nurburgring, Corsa Arctic, Evoke VXR8, Black Corsa, Silver Vectra, a long weekend with an Insignia, a chilli burger and now a siggy tourer!

Quote Originally Posted by moeman View Post
    mine is digital, looking forward to swapping lanes. When I was a lad I had a set with a small wheel on the controller than moved the pick up arm from side to side so allowed you to move your car on it's slot, probably worth a few bob now if only I still had it!
    Probably, I can find like zero images on Google relating to a controller with an adjustment wheel on it (except for adjusting the throttle response).

I understand you can use old track with digital by changing the power base and use older cars with a plug in or solder on chip - so I'm happy to collect the older stuff for peanuts for a while and upgrade further down the line. I'll plan areas to swap to digital lane changers in the track plan.

Next stop, Wickes for some MDF and crossmember supports.
    MikeyP - Meriva

Well, I didn't get to Wickes yet - but I did decide to buy some Sport sets so I can play straight away rather than beginning it all over with having to clean track. That would probably have killed off any desire before I started.

The kit I managed to get is an F1 style. I tried the Calibras when they arrived but they need a service and some fresh rubber, so they'll have to wait for a while to have a run. The F1 cars looks the bizz though shooting round their layout. Haad it set up in the bridged figure-8 for a bit, then added some crossover corners and changed it to a flat track:

I have another ‘Drift’ type set coming, along with a hairpin, sideswipes and jump. Hopefully it’ll all arrive before the weekend and my Daughter can have a go at drifting – she’s 9 and has fell in love a bit with this setup. Although she did seem just as interested in racing as she did in making up a game involving the pit crews fixing up the cars!
    MikeyP - Meriva

The Drift track turned up, after the weekend though.

So made the decision to use this half of the loft:

Got rid of those drawer units, bought some supporting joists and boards and built the raised floor. Rough lay to get the height for the rear support:

Fixed the first couple in place and added the first set of power cables for future scenery lighting and/or track boosters. Went just up from the existing roof joists so know to cut through in line with the joists and safely miss them:

There is another run on the next roof joist down.

Flooring all done:

Excuse the crudeness here, but measured up to give an area for track of:

Need to measure up and cut the side and rear supports, then it’s just paint and get on with the track!
    MikeyP - Meriva

looking good Mike.

never had Scalextric but did have what was called afx same but smaller
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyp90 View Post
    I am pretty awesome.
    BOOM
    the Moaning Mod

Clique No: 7

Quote Originally Posted by jiraffe View Post
    looking good Mike.

never had Scalextric but did have what was called afx same but smaller
    Cheers! Trying to decide on if I want felt 'grass' or if I should just paint the wood (cheaper).

AFX are still going, don't look too bad to be fair. Linky.
    MikeyP - Meriva

Started putting a layout together:

But realied I didn't have enough track to finish that off and with the weekend fast approaching meaning the imminent arrival of an excited 9 year old, I cobbled something together - but forgot to take a picture. We ran that for a bit then changed it around to this:

I need some different corner pieces - these are all too easy and (apart from the hairpin) don't require much thought. Easier for my 9 year old but quickly boring for me becoming a pace car. I also want to bring that hairpin down to fill the gap so the outer cars wheels skid over the other corner when nipping round it.

It's a fairly quick track though, was averaging 7 seconds when not trying but got it down to 6.3 when actually going for it (depending on which lane used and how brave I was at the corners) - using the standard F1 cars of course.

I also have this:

Runs great but doesn't corner well.
    Last edited by MikeyP247; 20th March 2017 at 01:20 PM.
    MikeyP - Meriva

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast