Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs down Burg needs new CLUTCH?!

Hey guys

So took my car in for a health check today. Everything got the green light, apart from one thing....they said my clutch was heavy and has a high bite point and requires a new one! At the cost of just over £1,100 with the 25% service club discount(!). Car is 5.5 years old and has done 53,500 miles.

I was gobsmacked tbh. I really did not expect the clutch to go so soon. I've had this car from new and treat it with respect. It's already had tons of parts replaced on it under warranty and I'm thinking is this just another part that's just not been made to last?! I thought there was a gearbox issue as it often does not want to go into third gear first time, especially when being driven hard. They said this is the reason why.

What are your first thoughts on this? Is this common or unusual at this age/mileage? I have lifetime warranty and I am going to ring Vauxhall tomorrow to explain the situation and see what they say.

Thanks for your help as always.

This is how it's been priced up:

Chilli Orange Corsa BURG #009 has left the building. Loved every moment of ownership for the best part of 7 years.
    Check out my full video review *HERE*

VXR enough

Clutch is a wear and tear item and you have an old car.

I wouldn't think you'd have a leg to stand on with regards complaints about longevity.

But regardless, if its not slipping then it hasn't "gone" so its serviceable...not seeing any reason to break the wallet out quite yet.
    Corsa SRI Turbo (SOLD) and Facelift Corsa 1.4 SE (SOLD) - Now Ecoboost Fiesta 140 and Suzuki GS500

Quote Originally Posted by u33db View Post
    Clutch is a wear and tear item and you have an old car.

I wouldn't think you'd have a leg to stand on with regards complaints about longevity.

But regardless, if its not slipping then it hasn't "gone" so its serviceable...not seeing any reason to break the wallet out quite yet.
    As above.......But the price of that clutch with fitting is ridiculous IMO.

And i replaced mine as matter of course when the flywheel went, at 29K.

VXR Nothing comes close vr55vxr's Avatar

As above clutch is wear and tear item and is not covered under any warranty

It will only be replaced foc if manufacturing issue, which I doubt as the car 5.5 years old

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where the **** did they get £1100 from?

VXRed

Its extremely unlikely your warranty will cover this.

As for the price, this car is very simple to work on and any reputable garage will be more than capable of replacing a clutch. £1100 is steep, most independents will be around half that.

Regardless of the above though, if its not slipping and giving you no issues, leave it alone
    2009 Arden Blue Corsa VXR

Thanks guys.

The clutch is not slipping (just been out to do a few tests) so I guess best thing for now is just to carry on as normal.
    Chilli Orange Corsa BURG #009 has left the building. Loved every moment of ownership for the best part of 7 years.
    Check out my full video review *HERE*

If you decide you need a new clutch which I doesn't sound like you do....yet then have an hours drive from you to Halifax Gearboxes. It'll cost half of what you've been quoted with a flywheel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you sure the clutch doesn't need just a simple bleed? There maybe just air in the system
    Arden Corsa VXR

"Health check " should be retitled, "chance to rob you blind unnecessarily" check
    W20 ADM's led Lighting shop, see link below for details
    http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...-lighting-shop

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast