+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Yet another thing going wrong

Lately i've noticed an increase in engine temp. my coolant light came on the other so checked it, cap broke (Grrr) and couldn't see any coolant in her, topped up with about 250mls.

checked fluid, looks fine however engine oil filler has some evaporated water deposits and a slight 'milky' look to it. engine oil is fine, still nice and clear.

no visible oil around head (cover removed) and no evidence of water on the floor.

fearing the worst, is my head gasket on the way out? looking at Ecat, which ones require replacing.

http://ecat24.com/opel/catalog/part/...89/4023/41005/

car in in a couple of weeks for Gearbox and clutch so will have to get that sorted as well.

Are these prone to going? i guess like any other car yes, but not come across a thread yet.
    2006 Arden Vectra VXR Estate. Stage 1 remap by MWP. Bilstein B8 shocks (front), Eibach Prosport springs all round, Pioneer AVIC F970DAB HU, Pipercross and Ramair Custom Cones with ASH heat shield, MTECH Shortshifter, Custom Alloy pipework from Turbo to MAF and TB to intercooler.

Residue within the oil cap is usually down to short journey driving.

Only way to rule out head gasket is to get the heads pressure tested.
    Brimfull's Vauxhall History, Cavalier Sri 8v, 2x Calibra 16v, Omega V6, Vectra B Gsi, 2x Vectra C Sri 2.2, Vectra C Sri Cdti 150, Meriva Design, Astra Ls, Vectra Vxr

Good to know Brim. I'll have it checked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2006 Arden Vectra VXR Estate. Stage 1 remap by MWP. Bilstein B8 shocks (front), Eibach Prosport springs all round, Pioneer AVIC F970DAB HU, Pipercross and Ramair Custom Cones with ASH heat shield, MTECH Shortshifter, Custom Alloy pipework from Turbo to MAF and TB to intercooler.

Default Yet another thing going wrong

Hope it's not gone,
    your looking at no.2 rh 1x for over hall, no.11 lh 10x same
    How high was the temperature above half way ,if I remember they had a recall for the expansion tank ,plus the cap starts to leak pressure so you mite be lucky with a new one now that you've broken it.
    Plus poss faulty thermostat stuck.
    They will go at some point but you don't really hear that many people on hear with that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jon1796; 20th March 2017 at 02:55 PM.

Ordered a new cap, should be here tomorrow. Brims thought been echoed by the lads in the workshop as it might be caused by short distance driving. never really noticed it before so i cannot confirm. Has the newer expansion tank on so guessing it was done on the recall (its black).

since reaching the 120k mark things are starting to niggle me somewhat.

We get same sort of build up on the lorrys and their not short trippers ,so unless the oils curdled keep looking.
    Had a ford crapi the core plugs went but these aren't that old yet.
    Check the pipes to rad get hot to rule out thermostat.
    My worst thought would be its leaking in to the chamber that would do the most damage.
    As Asher said see if you can get them to test compression.
    Water pump failure not uncommon that could be another point to look at ,see if it's pumping it round.
    Sorry I ment brimfull not Asher.

Few things for ya spike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Checked this morning. Level fine but condensation on the cap. Normal or am I getting paranoid?

I wouldn't worry too much about that for the minute, a bit of condensation is normal, I do lots of short journeys in my Astra and the milky crap that comes out my catch can is horrendous.

I would see how you go with the new cap for the moment and if you have any further concerns after that then have a pressure test.

Cars in first week of April anyway for gearbox and clutch

Off with the old

On with the new, cleaned around header tank so I check to see if there's any escape of fluid

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast