+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Oil catch can

VXR enough

No real benefit unless your engine is knackered.
    Corsa SRI Turbo

Not really true. A purer air mix is always going to be better, even if minimally.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Not to mention cleaner intake valves, intercooler, throttle body and sensors along the intake.

VXR enough

Again emphasis on the condition of your engine.

Up to you though.

All i'm saying to don't expect to recoup the 15/20 quid you spend buying a catch can in terms of more mpg/better performance.
    Corsa SRI Turbo

VXR newbie

Thanks for everyones input.

I'm going to be trying to install the catch can using a T connector onto the crankcase ventilation pipe. I don't see why this would not work. If at best, it prevents oil entering into places where it shouldn't then, i see it as a task accomplished. There may well be some other sinister issues with the car that is leaving oil residue into the ventilation pipes. Further investigation and probing would obviously need to be done to determine the cause of the oil residue.

I'll post some pics and post some commentary on the performance and any noticeable improvements.

If there are no benefits to be gained then, all i can say is i've tried it and then I'll put that ideas to rest.

Looking forward to your update mate.

Would it not be better for the can to be connected in-line? The vapor will always take the path of least resistance so I'd expect it to continue straight along through to the intake otherwise. I believe it should act like a filter.

Last edited by trebble67; 11th May 2017 at 12:34 PM.

VXR newbie

I think we may be both talking about the same things in terms of which pipe. Based on the threads you posted previously with pics, I can see that you maybe referring to the pipe that is attached to the turbo inlet adaptor.

I think it's the same pipe you pointed out however, instead of feeding the oil can from the turbo inlet pipe or near there, I would feed it off the manifold inlet.The pipe you are referring to leads the back of the manifold and that is where i would be looking to set it up.

It will not be until a few weeks before i can get start dabbling around, i will keep this thread updated on the progress.

If you get there first with an install, please let me know how you get on.

I had a failed attempt today.

Tried hooking up the can in-line between the breather outlet before the turbo intake. Noticed that the original pipe was very thick and had a spring sitting inside it so I wasn't too surprised to see all the pipes collapse when I turned the ignition on!

Maybe you'll have a better shot at it than me. I don't understand enough about engine to know quite what's going on!

Bought some thick vacuum pipe so will try again this weekend.

Confused as the outlet from the crank case goes to a t piece. One end goes to manifold and other to inlet before turbo.

Anyone got any ideas?

So I think this should be right.

The thicker piping is graded for oil use and seems to be holding the vacuum (not sure how it will hold up in hotter temps at traffic ect.)

Need to find a better way to secure the can but other than that I'm pretty happy with it.

If it fails I don't think anything too serious can happen (obviously unless something ends up in the intake) . I've made sure not to make any permanent changes though so can switch back if need be.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast