+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default M32 Help - How long do I have left?

Quote Originally Posted by u33db View Post
    Rubbish.

Hes only got a few mm movement in 1st and whose to say that isn't just down to engine movement. Mine moves about that under hard acceleration and i've got no whining or anything.

I don't doubt there will be a box issue but don't freak the lad into thinking its going to expire imminently.

WGM state that really bad boxes will move up to 2cm in 1st so its clearly not an imminent failure if hes got a 10th of that;
    http://www.wgmotorworks.co.uk/repair...n/m32-gearbox/

i'd definitely change to box oil...best case it prolongs it a good while and saves £700, worse case it's only £30 gone.
    Don't agree mate. He's got twitching in 1st and whining in 5th and 6th. It's whining because the bearings are pitted.

I've funnily enough had gearbox failure on both my VXRs and therefore know when it needs a refurb or not.

I'm am just saying that by changing the oil and thinking it might by someway of a miracle solve the movement and whining then it's a waste of cash and better put towards the cost of a refurb

It's worth bearing in mind (excuse the pun there) that the longer you leave it the generally more expensive it gets as more bearings need doing so yes. He might not be tittering on the edge of catastrophic box failure but the more it's driven the worse it'll get and be more expensive to fix.

What's so rubbish about that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VXR enough

I don't think anyone's expecting a miracle;

The OP stated he knows the gearbox is chocolate and just wanted to know how long he has left, and if it can be prolonged as hes not got money to ***** on a repair right now.

You said he "just needs to get it booked in for a refurb".

He doesn't "need" to.

As hes coming from a "prolonging the failure point-of-view" that is rubbish...changing the oil should help.

I respect your experiences and if the title was "M32 Help - I need to fix it" then i'd agree with you, but thats not what he was asking...its "how long do i have left and what can i try to make it last"
    Last edited by u33db; 7th April 2017 at 08:27 PM.
    Corsa SRI Turbo

VXRed

Fuchs titan 75w80 or castrol syntrans transaxle 75w90 for m32 gearbox?

This is my experience and I do not wish to start a war, however.

I had stick movement, 1-2mm in 1st 5th and 6th for ages, a few years at least. And during that time I also had a very very slight whine.
    I changed the oil every 10k regardless as IMO the box wasn't that bad. Even took the car to Europe and done over 2500 miles.
    It was then when the sound got slightly worse, nothing like what you'd expect from a box about to blow.

This week it went in to WG for a refurb and Warren started that my box had only just started showing signs of wear. The bearings had just started to go pitted.

I've got a full set of new bearings but I still have the 1-2mm of stick movement. It's purely when it goes in to a new gear and is just the slack being taken up. Every car I've ever driven is like this. New or old.

So to the OP. It's up to you what you do, but be prepared to pay for a refurb. You could prolong the life and change the oil out. It may give you a week or a few years. That's the risk you take.

VXR enough

I must be lucky 54k and gearbox is still sweet am i doing something wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Leo View Post
    Driving like a granny mate 😁jokes mines fine but may have been refurb before . How expensive is a part repair? Surely it's better to do the lot whilst it's out, taking it out to replace one bearing is not cost effective?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine hit 90k before it went in for a refurb. Could have done another 10k maybe before it went really bad.

Thanks for all your replies guys, appreciate them! And I didn't mean cause beef between people!

I think I'm going to put it under hard surveillance and if it starts to get any worse, even a tad, I may have to bite the bullet ffs Vauxhall...

If it seems to be staying the same I'm gonna have to just hope it stays okay with an oil change until after my holiday.

Gearbox oil change is a garage job?

Well I bought mine on 54k and now on 57k when I've noticed the noise!

Hope it doesn't happen to you bud!

Gearbox oil change is a diy job if you've got some stands and some sockets, Allen sockets are a must too as the fill plug is always tight

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast