+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Exclamation Opinions needed - How to cope with that m32 box???

Ok so as i mentioned in few other posts i got myself red vxr astra .
    It has done 50k miles. gearbox thing hmmm im not sure about this one ;(
    seems ok no stick movement or noises but any hard 1st to 2nd will crunch bad
    and it seems jerky as F... and theres my question: are they like that??? never noticed that on the test drive and car seems to be spot on apart from that kangaroo like gear changes and set off. A word of advice would be appreciated.

VXRed

Id say engine mounts or dmf play excessive.

both sound about as expensive as gearbox fault ;/ - if dmf wear and symptoms are anything like in diesel then its not that. how big of a job is it to do engine mounts?

Quote Originally Posted by TorqueVXR View Post
    both sound about as expensive as gearbox fault ;/ - if dmf wear and symptoms are anything like in diesel then its not that. how big of a job is it to do engine mounts?
    Engine mounts are pretty simple and relatively cheap to do. I have done mount inserts with a mate off here the other weekend and whilst it's awkward the front, left and right are doable on a driveway but the rear is a pig and best done on a ramp at a garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks will give that a go i think and see if that helps at all, but have to leave that till next week and find a decent garage to do it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TorqueVXR View Post
    Thanks will give that a go i think and see if that helps at all, but have to leave that till next week and find a decent garage to do it for me.
    It's worth having a look and checking the condition of them first before you buy anything

VXRed

Dmf's do not need to get to the point that theyre knocking to be classed as goosed, they have something called maximum permissible rotation angle, they generally get well past this point before they start to knock and rattle. As above do engine mounts/inserts first as theyre cheaper!

As above, do the 3 mounts if required first but mainly you dont have to do all 3

then....

Turn your attention to your clutch, as it sounds it could of had some real abuse before you had it :-) - if you have to drop the box and the box is good just do the whole lot, clutch assembly slave unit and dmf - cheap as chips and foolish not to do all 3 at the sametime to be fair.....

What do you mean by cheap??? Dmfs are costly are they??? Well who knows maby car was abused but inside out its mint (possibly dealer had a good go at it as car looked like a loved one) checked it on ramp today dry and clean all seem good. Car had vxro stickers when sold. So someone possibly can know that car. Can pm reg if any one know a vxr with number plate ending FNF
    Last edited by TorqueVXR; 10th April 2017 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VXRRy View Post
    It's worth having a look and checking the condition of them first before you buy anything

I know from experience that in some cases they look fine while needing replacement.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast