+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Before you fit something to your car, you should always find out what it actually does.

Put very simply, all the air going into your engine is measured by an airflow meter and the ECU then decides how much fuel to put in. An atmospheric dump valve vents some of that air out of the system that the ECU still thinks is in there. This is what makes the whoosh noise. So your ECU still thinks that air in inside and adds enough fuel to suit, thus momentarily overfuelling. Therefore, every time you let off the throttle, the dump valve goes whoosh, your ECU goes ???? and it can make the car run slightly lumpier than it would normally.

A custom map is a map specific to your cars and its individual mods. A generic off the shelf map is not specific to your car and therefore not as good. It's like the difference between and "off the shelf" suit and a tailored one.
    Last edited by VinPetrol; 20th April 2017 at 05:24 PM.

A direct flow and cone filter is like this

see how the air goes along a more direct path straight into the turbo rather than over the top of the engine on the standard setup?

Getting rid of the airbox and all that pipework leads to less suppression of the noise of the standard diverter valve (that vents the air back into the engine rather than out to atmosphere) so you get that dumpvalve whoosh without having to buy a new dumpvalve and associated pipework.

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by VinPetrol View Post
    A direct flow and cone filter is like this

see how the air goes along a more direct path straight into the turbo rather than over the top of the engine on the standard setup?

Getting rid of the airbox and all that pipework leads to less suppression of the noise of the standard diverter valve (that vents the air back into the engine rather than out to atmosphere) so you get that dumpvalve whoosh without having to buy a new dumpvalve and associated pipework.
    Thanks very much for taking the time to explain all of that, you have definitely given me a clearer understanding on how it actually works. It's a shame really that it does that because I love the woosh noise and have since I was a kid, so are you saying that if I get a cone filter and pipe (like in the first picture that I will get the woosh noise????

VXRed

yes

Link from YouTube of said setup....https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-eyeQXsOrQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    *Astra VXR 322bhp/360lbs ft - Gone but not forgotten*
    *BMW 335i twin turbo 306bhp/300lbs ft - Current*

Quote Originally Posted by 7james7 View Post
    Thanks very much for taking the time to explain all of that, you have definitely given me a clearer understanding on how it actually works. It's a shame really that it does that because I love the woosh noise and have since I was a kid, so are you saying that if I get a cone filter and pipe (like in the first picture that I will get the woosh noise????
    No probs. If we can't help each other on these forums, then they aren't much use.

Yes a cone filter will give you the whoosh, just like on the video, but much more so when the car is actually under load and developing positive boost pressure, unlike on the vid where it's just revving on the spot with no real boost. Some cones are louder than others too. AEM is fairly restrained but I believe the Pipercross is quite loud.

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by W18ACK View Post
    Link from YouTube of said setup....https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-eyeQXsOrQ

I'd love to see a video of it been driven. That's a nice sound. I will upload a picture of what's under my bonnet, as it appeared to already have the aftermarket pipes in place but just with a standard air filter...

VXRacing ahead

Sounds like you have the cdti conversion then mate ive got a video of mine with cone making that lovely dump valve whoosh that your looking for if you want to see it pm me

VXRed

I've got the pipercross set-up like in the pic above and it does sound like it has a "dump valve" or atmospheric recirc valve. If you give it a bit of throttle and change gear below 3k revs you get it anything more than that and you don't really hear it. You can really hear the turbo spooling with the pipercross one too. Some people don't like it because it is the loudest of the cone filters. Me personally it puts a big grin on my face like a kid in a sweet shop, Missus said it sounds "stupid" but what does she know
    2010 Sapphire Black Astra VXR with Blue Highlights.
    Toyosports Precat Decat l Toyosports Decat l Milltek Cat Back Non Res l Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.2 l Blue VXR Badges all round

My mrs hated it , and I did get rid of it after a week (on my last one ) but now I want one again😃 but maybe an AEM one

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast