+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 20Drift's VXR

Default 20Drift's VXR

After having it for just over 2 years, thought I'd chuck up a thread with progress!

Mod List
    • K&N Contained Cone Intake
    • Main & Pre-Decat
    • Remus Catback
    • Drilled & Grooved Brembo Discs with Brembo Pads
    • Pro-Sport Boost and Water Temp gauges
    • JL Audio Speakers all round
    • AVIC-F70DAB Sat-Nav
    • Lowered 30/20mm on Eibach springs
    • Bilstein B8 Shocks front and back
    • RS Bonnet Vents (need replacing as bonnet is rusting on front lip)
    • 6000k 35w HIDs
    • LED Sidelights, number plate lights and boot lights

First purchased it with just over 65k on the clock and relatively clean

Kept it stock for a few weeks and got a couple of artistic shots after giving her a good polish and wax:

Got bored with the stock light output, so ordered a set of H7R HIDs from HIDs Direct and fitted them. Great coverage and doesn't dazzle oncoming traffic - well worth £50!

Next up was the RS Bonnet Vents - started cutting with an angle grinder but had to switch to a jigsaw when smoke started coming out of the cuts!

Did a vent gauge conversion and fitted a boost and water temp gauge. Worked fine for about 2 weeks then this happened:

Thankfully was just a wire that came loose of the thermostat - new crimps and it was all sorted.

Started to get a bit bored with the exhaust so switched out the main cat section for a decat pipe: https://player.vimeo.com/video/214716271

Ran with it for a few weeks, then a Remus catback came up so snapped it up quickly - was only round the corner too!

Recently took it out on a run and managed to get a flame on video
    https://player.vimeo.com/video/214717067

Played around with some tyre lettering pens - exceptionally hard to keep in the lines on Eagle F1's as the lettering is all embossed and not raised, so the ink runs everywhere. Rolled with it for a week then let it wear off as it was too much maintenance!

Started to get quite bad corrosion from where the alloys had been kerbed, so thought I'd try out plasti-dip in a matte-white finish. Process went really well, but I 'wheely' should have used glossifier as the brake dust basically bonded to the dip over the course of a week making them impossible to clean.

With the fronts done:

I didn't realise how heavy the wheels were until I removed them to do this, so decided to order a set of these instead (and now waiting for 4 weeks for delivery )

Remembered one weekend that I'd severely bodged the joint between the mid-section and decat pipe (I'm not proud of how long I left it like this )

Went through the MOT fine, but then changed it for a sleeve clamp instead:

Brake change came round, so fitted a set of grooved and drilled Brembo discs and Brembo pads:

And at the same time painted my vent and seatbelt surrounds in Halford's Finest Gloss White (and sort of made my dash look like an owl)

Update time!

Got my new alloys fitted after work - much improved over the standard alloys!

Afterwards ordered my intercooler from Airtec (opted for black with white logo, and black pipe work):

Only annoying thing is you can't really see it behind the grille on the bumper, so may replace this with black mesh instead.

Whilst fitting I noticed I had a fair bit of oil near the idle control valve:

Gave it a clean out regardless, but started to wonder if there were seals on my turbo on their way out

Next up was a trip to Rabbid to get all the above modifications mapped in and get it running sweet - all went well bar a blown aircon compressor (nearly shat myself as it happened about 6500RPM and thought the engine had gone!):

Not too much of an issue - bypassed it with a shortened drive belt for the time being until I can source a replacement.

Shortly after the car started to misfire on piston 4, so replaced the spark plugs (no joy) and then replaced the coil pack with one from a working VXR, and problem solved.
    Old (90k) vs New:

And finally, replaced the center silencer section of the exhaust with a straight pipe from Enhance Performance - much more burbling which I'm happy about!

Black vxr is best vxr
    #weusedtobetheshit

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
    Black vxr is best vxr
    But an absolute **** to keep clean!

Quote Originally Posted by 20Drift View Post
    But an absolute **** to keep clean!
    I've given up. Mines perma grey
    #weusedtobetheshit

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
    I've given up. Mines perma grey
    I might have a go with snow-foam once a week. I used some AG Extra Gloss Protection which has worked really well, but having a dusty car park at work makes it impossible to keep clean for more than 3 days
    Corsa VXR - Stage 2 Rabbid Remapped
    TD Pro Race 1.2's | Airtec Intercooler | Brembo Drilled/Grooved Discs | K&N 57s Induction | NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
    Remus 3 Piece | EP Silencer Delete | Remus Cat Back | 5000K HIDs | Boost & Water Temp Gauge | Pressed Plates

I might have a go with snow-foam once a week. I used some AG Extra Gloss Protection which has worked really well, but having a dusty car park at work makes it impossible to keep clean for more than 3 days
    A Proper coat of wax helps but not much will stop dust showing on this colour.
    #weusedtobetheshit

VXRed

Your car looks ace mate! I LOVE the new alloys. Think they'd suit an Arden blue VXR?

Quote Originally Posted by Telych View Post
    Your car looks ace mate! I LOVE the new alloys. Think they'd suit an Arden blue VXR?
    Thanks! Think they would yeah - I like them because they're metallic anthracite so stand out against the paintwork. Reckon they'd look good on arden though!
    Corsa VXR - Stage 2 Rabbid Remapped
    TD Pro Race 1.2's | Airtec Intercooler | Brembo Drilled/Grooved Discs | K&N 57s Induction | NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
    Remus 3 Piece | EP Silencer Delete | Remus Cat Back | 5000K HIDs | Boost & Water Temp Gauge | Pressed Plates

VXRed

Thanks! Think they would yeah - I like them because they're metallic anthracite so stand out against the paintwork. Reckon they'd look good on arden though!
    That's what gets me too. I love the look they give. I have the optional 18s on mine atm, they look great but those TDPR alloys...

We need more side profile shots of your car now with the new alloys btw.
    Last edited by Telych; 2nd July 2017 at 07:15 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast