+ Reply to Thread
    VXR newbie

Default Opinions and helpful comments on boost etc

Hi guys,

So im new to here, got my VXR a few weeks ago off a friend, picked up a bargain as he couldnt afford to run it and it had been sitting in his barn for 5 months. 89k miles, arden blue, 3 owners.

Now, my mate was a bit of a Jeremy Clarkson "POOOWWEER" and likes it to be loud.

From what i know, it has a full piper exhaust system with NO silencers, it has a crossover delete with pipercross cone filter, Upgraded intercooler, boost gauge, hybrid k06 turbo, stage 3? and is stated running 330bhp, now i have NO idea or proof of that but its rather fast and i had a dreamscience ST running 340bhp that was similar in power.

ANYWAY, i went down the basic service route as it was sat for so long, changed oil and filter, fitted new breaks and tyres, and spark plugs. Was also a lot of engine movement so i got polybushes for the front mount but i got black ones.

When i changed sparks plugs i used the iridiums off courtnay sport, i also noticed the coil pack was coroded bad, i have ordered one of these.

Im now getting so many boost issues and overfuel, it misfires and pops and bangs every time i touch the throttle, it judders in boost and limps around, doesnt smooth build boost and limits at random points.

Reading on here i changed spark plugs and got the NGK lasers as they have the 0.8mm gap? is this right?

HE also has the BIGGEST HKS dump valve off an impreza on

IM going to remove this, is it best to get a forge recirc valve ?

fire away with comments pleasssee..

thanks

dave

Gap the plugs to 0.6-0.7mm and would get that dump valve off, do you have standard pipe work still? VXR's dont work well with dump valves.

Forge or turbo smart recirc good upgrade to do. If it has a hybird ko6 on it, would have thought the recirc would have been upgraded at the same time - worth checking whats on there
    Arden Astra VXR Cobra turbo back non-res, Direct route intake, Mfact Plated Diff, Airtec fmic, RARB, DAP's, Enhance Gearbox Breather, RND Droplinks, Heko's, Courts Braided Lines, DS2500 pads, Superblue fluid, led plate bulbs, side lights, fogs, Blue interior led's Forge recirc + actuator, stage 3 map Cams + more to come Build Thread: http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...6-X8-DUD-Arden

VXRacing ahead

I would definitely not mess with spark plug gaps but that's up to you! And much has been said regarding spark plugs and the z20leh and many horror stories of engines running poorly and worse in some cases being badly damaged due to the wrong plugs being fitted personally for me and for peace of mind I pay the extra and only ever fit gm plugs

I'd go GM plugs, new coil pack and deffo get rid of the dump.

Also go Forge on the recirc as few have had issues with the Turbosmart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VXR newbie

Quote Originally Posted by X8 DUD View Post
    Gap the plugs to 0.6-0.7mm and would get that dump valve off, do you have standard pipe work still? VXR's dont work well with dump valves.

Forge or turbo smart recirc good upgrade to do. If it has a hybird ko6 on it, would have thought the recirc would have been upgraded at the same time - worth checking whats on there
    I don't have the standard pipes so this will also need to be a purchase. I'll check on the re circ valve

VXR newbie

Quote Originally Posted by VXRRy View Post
    I'd go GM plugs, new coil pack and deffo get rid of the dump.

Also go Forge on the recirc as few have had issues with the Turbosmart

I read a lot about the GM parts and only place I could find them was autovaux. By the time I found them I had already ordered the laser ngk. Would you recommend returning the NGK and getting GM? The iridiums are the moment are just causing a mess. It previously had NGK and was running fine

Quote Originally Posted by DavidH1993 View Post
    I read a lot about the GM parts and only place I could find them was autovaux. By the time I found them I had already ordered the laser ngk. Would you recommend returning the NGK and getting GM? The iridiums are the moment are just causing a mess. It previously had NGK and was running fine
    If they worked fine for you then keep on.

I'm just a big fan of the GM stuff.

The sparks are good the oil is good and they aren't bad value.

VXR newbie

So i fitted the new coil park and sparks, I disconnected the dump valve as well and blanked off the pipe for now so it stays shut untill i can get a new top hat.

But im still having boost issues, seems to get to around 2.6k revs hit good boost then drop at 3k then at 4k kicks in and fully boosts, very strange, not a smooth boost build up.

my mechanic said to try disconnecting the MAF sensor see if this did anything, this just seemed to switch my TC light on.

Maybe i have a boost leak?

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by DavidH1993 View Post
    So i fitted the new coil park and sparks, I disconnected the dump valve as well and blanked off the pipe for now so it stays shut untill i can get a new top hat.

But im still having boost issues, seems to get to around 2.6k revs hit good boost then drop at 3k then at 4k kicks in and fully boosts, very strange, not a smooth boost build up.

my mechanic said to try disconnecting the MAF sensor see if this did anything, this just seemed to switch my TC light on.

Maybe i have a boost leak?
    I have a similar problem at 4.5k in fourth gear it goes into limp mode but when switch engine off goes back to normal then boost again and engine light goes off. Thinking of getting new inlet boost map sensor when I go crossover delete cus that's what's causing the problem.

+ Reply to Thread