+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    VXRed

Default Bottom end gone what's best to do??

So I recently perchased a 57 plate Astra vxr, is has some issues well that's
    What I thought until today, so initially it was booked in for a daiognostic check to resolve
    A boost leak as the car was only spooling up but not come on boost? But I noticed a rattle
    Over 3k rpm I took the car to a well known tuner garage and they told me not to bother with fault finding as the bottom end is kcackard so now I don't know what to do replace the engine or a rebuild or replace bottom end?? So I was hoping for some best advice and any info on good honest breakers rebuilders in the Manchester area the car has covered 58k recent cambelt valve stem oil seals and new turbo core with fsh

Any help tips or advice would be greatly appreciated

VXR enough

Which ever way the engine will have to come out if bottom end is shot -- then rebuild or second hand engine ? -- which would be cost effective ? -- if money is not an issue I would go for a rebuild then at least you would have piece of mind knowing everything is ok -- or if you buy used engine just how "used" is it, you would never know - it's up to you

VXR Nothing comes close vr55vxr's Avatar

Did you purchase from a dealer or private.

VXRed

Private sale no refunds but I did get nearly £500 back to help with costs the garage near me quoted £1500 rebuild cost ouch

Quote Originally Posted by X300 View Post
    Private sale no refunds but I did get nearly £500 back to help with costs the garage near me quoted £1500 rebuild cost ouch
    Is that a forged rebuild?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VXRacing ahead

Maybe try finding out more about what is actually "knackered". I mean, rebuilds get done for various reasons and because of that need various parts/work. You obviously didn't have heat damage as your head gasket would have probably went...if you did you would require machining work etc. That would probably cost 200-300 alone.

I had mine rebuilt a year ago, was £3500 in the end. That was with wossner pistons, steel conrods and bolts. I also had to get the machining, gaskets, polished crank, the list really goes on.

All i can suggest is do your research and gather as much information as you can, about the state of your car and anything you want to buy. Make sure your 100% certain...you will never forgive yourself if you pay money to put a shagged engine in the car but you'll also feel physically sick at some of the prices you'll be quoted (after only owning the car for such a short period of time). I know i did.

If money isn't a problem then yea go for the forged rebuild. Stick a klassen manifold and uprated mounts in there as it goes back together.

Goodluck
    Last edited by Byrnes; 16th May 2017 at 09:49 AM.

VXRed

No it's not a forged rebuild if it was I'd be happy to pay it lol

No it's not a forged rebuild if it was I'd be happy to pay it lol
    You can get a forged bottom end done for that money

VXRed

Like I said I have no idea of prices that's why I posted on here to get some advice a rough idea of prices

Like I said I have no idea of prices that's why I posted on here to get some advice a rough idea of prices
    Have a call round to some decent places and tuners. As I'm in the south I'm not sure of up your way but there will be some places

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast