+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dashcams

Default Dashcams

Does anyone have one installed? If so, what make/model and what do you think of it?
    Im leaning towards a Thinkware X330 as it seems to do everything I need and doesnt break the bank.
    All opinions are welcome

VXR enough

We have Blackvue dashcams front and back. Wouldn't be without them. There have been speed cameras found to be inaccurate. The dashcam can prove you were under the speed limit even if the camera says you are not, because the speed is calculated from GPS. Couple of times to, idiots have almost caused accidents, and the police followed up when I sent copies of the videos. One got prosecuted for dangerous driving. Just looked up the spec for the X330. Looks good but make sure you get the option for GPS.

VXRed

I've got the Thinkware F750 Front & Rear Dash Camera Bundle - fits perfectly in my Monaro VXR. Had been trouble free (but switch off the warnings (the 750 provides alerts for Lane Departure and Front Collision Prevention).

You might like this little demo (it was a very sunny day so a bit of screen glare - turn the volume up!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shZIjW8UP8w

VXR enough

I've been thinking about getting a Dashcam for the VXR8 for some years, recently decided to actually do it. My starting point was knowing (insert expletive) all about Dashcams so it was review reading and Youtube clip watching. After several months btw, concluded Russia is the most dangerous country in the world to drive What I wanted was the following:

Best video quality possible, 1080 dpi front and rear.

A monitor in the car which would make its operation as easy as possible.

An easy video transfer from the Dashcam flashdrive to my Apple Mac.

A descent sized storage capacity and a file format compatible with my Mac.

As I was reading I discovered that via GPS you could get an on-screen speed reading which is recorded on the movie....needs to have an off switch.

Discovered that some insurance companies offer a % discount if you have a Dashcam, discovered the price of the Dashcam is almost more than the % discount on the insurance.

That you have to add about £150 for fitting and I'm not going to let a complete stranger loose on my car. So need to find someone I know and trust, or someone someone I know knows and trusts, to fit it.

At the moment I am gravitating towards the Blackvue DR750LW which does seem to have all the basis covered.

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by blackadder9570 View Post
    I've been thinking about getting a Dashcam for the VXR8 for some years, recently decided to actually do it. My starting point was knowing (insert expletive) all about Dashcams so it was review reading and Youtube clip watching. After several months btw, concluded Russia is the most dangerous country in the world to drive What I wanted was the following:

Best video quality possible, 1080 dpi front and rear.

A monitor in the car which would make its operation as easy as possible.

An easy video transfer from the Dashcam flashdrive to my Apple Mac.

A descent sized storage capacity and a file format compatible with my Mac.

As I was reading I discovered that via GPS you could get an on-screen speed reading which is recorded on the movie....needs to have an off switch.

Discovered that some insurance companies offer a % discount if you have a Dashcam, discovered the price of the Dashcam is almost more than the % discount on the insurance.

That you have to add about £150 for fitting and I'm not going to let a complete stranger loose on my car. So need to find someone I know and trust, or someone someone I know knows and trusts, to fit it.

At the moment I am gravitating towards the Blackvue DR750LW which does seem to have all the basis covered.
    I had mine fitted through the Thinkware site - cost me about £120 I think. The fitters get half of that! Two guys came and fitted mine and did the most perfect of jobs (they fit industrial scale trackers for a living and black box trackers - real professionals and all of the work is guaranteed - these guys work on Ferrari's and the like). If you can find out who fits them in your area, you might be able to contact them directly - but you won't benefit from the insurance. Since I had mine fitted, had one fitted to the wife's car - and a tracker fitted to mine (by the same guys). No guarantees of course ... but my experience is that the people they use are pros.

Blackadder, you sound very similar to how i'm feeling right now.
    I do like the idea of Thinkware coming and installing it into my car as they will know the kit and work will be insured and have a warranty.

Bit the bullet and got the Thinkware X550 Front & Rear. Got it with the professional install so will report back on Tuesday as to how it all went

VXR enough

Quote Originally Posted by IanL View Post
    I had mine fitted through the Thinkware site - cost me about £120 I think. The fitters get half of that! Two guys came and fitted mine and did the most perfect of jobs (they fit industrial scale trackers for a living and black box trackers - real professionals and all of the work is guaranteed - these guys work on Ferrari's and the like). If you can find out who fits them in your area, you might be able to contact them directly - but you won't benefit from the insurance. Since I had mine fitted, had one fitted to the wife's car - and a tracker fitted to mine (by the same guys). No guarantees of course ... but my experience is that the people they use are pros.
    Thanks for the info IanL, wondering if they would provide the fitting service for another manufacturers Dashcam....money is after all money

VXR enough

Quote Originally Posted by MontyPythonX View Post
    Bit the bullet and got the Thinkware X550 Front & Rear. Got it with the professional install so will report back on Tuesday as to how it all went
    Look forward to your feedback MontyPythonX, good luck!

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by blackadder9570 View Post
    Thanks for the info IanL, wondering if they would provide the fitting service for another manufacturers Dashcam....money is after all money
    I'm sure they would - I doubt that this is their main source of income.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast