+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    VXR newbie

Default Owning a VXR8 questions please

Hi im trying to decide whether to buy a VXR8 or E92 M3 and trying to find out some information about the VXR8 and any help would be much appreciated. I apologise in advance as the search function wont load but that might have something to do with my connection.

How many miles can you get from a tank of fuel, my commute once a month is 280 miles each way is it easy to get 280 from 1 tank of fuel because I don't like stopping during this journey. also how many litres does it take to fill?

Does it require normal fuel or the likes of V-power?

Im a mechanic by trade so will be doing all my servicing ect by myself im wandering how much it is for the following parts; spark plugs, oils and filters, brakes ect?

Am I right in assuming these engines are reliable for high miles and how have they been holding up as the miles rack up? also is there any major concerns reliability wise for the whole car?

What's better the manuals or autos does the car have any problems with either

thanks in advance

Regional Assistant - Essex Hey Mr Chicken badboyburt's Avatar

Tank capacity is 73 litres.

Miles from fuel, around town 12-14mpg, motorway can see around 26-28mpg at a steady speed around 70 in 6th gear, Ive driven Basildon to North Shields which is 310 miles on one tank. Basildon to lemans around 360 miles, used one tank although arrived on fumes lol

Fuel, hot topic lol any 97/99 ron fuel is fine, if supercharged keep to the 99ron.

Oil and filters from main dealers, GM dexos 2 is fine, others will swear using royal purple oils will give better performance but each to their own.

Brakes can be sourced in the uk at high prices, quite a lot of us source them from Australia, 4 discs, 4 sets of pads delivered with import taxes for around £850 (Depending on the £ - Aus $ exchange rate)

Heres a link to our parts thread with useful info,

http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...t-Numbers-here.

Engines are hugely reliable for high miles, there is a few with well over 250k miles and still going good.

Clutches can be a pain, Ive blown 2 of them but that's over 8yrs of ownership, most of us have the LS7 clutch and flywheel fitted.

I always say manuals for men, auto for women but that always causes a stir lol

V8, not for everyone but 10/10 for your effort.

VXR newbie

cheers for your reply bud. I know clutch wear and tear depends on the way its been driven but is there a rough common mileage ground where they need done, how long did you last between clutches because if its worth extra money il pay more for a car recently had it changed? I'm personally looking at the 6.2's are they just as reliable as the others or are all the LS engines reliable? This will be my first V8 ownership and want to be prepared for everything lol.

How much does it cost to supercharge these things?

Quote Originally Posted by badboyburt View Post
    Tank capacity is 73 litres.

Miles from fuel, around town 12-14mpg, motorway can see around 26-28mpg at a steady speed around 70 in 6th gear, Ive driven Basildon to North Shields which is 310 miles on one tank. Basildon to lemans around 360 miles, used one tank although arrived on fumes lol

Fuel, hot topic lol any 97/99 ron fuel is fine, if supercharged keep to the 99ron.

Oil and filters from main dealers, GM dexos 2 is fine, others will swear using royal purple oils will give better performance but each to their own.

Brakes can be sourced in the uk at high prices, quite a lot of us source them from Australia, 4 discs, 4 sets of pads delivered with import taxes for around £850 (Depending on the £ - Aus $ exchange rate)

Heres a link to our parts thread with useful info,

http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...t-Numbers-here.

Engines are hugely reliable for high miles, there is a few with well over 250k miles and still going good.

Clutches can be a pain, Ive blown 2 of them but that's over 8yrs of ownership, most of us have the LS7 clutch and flywheel fitted.

I always say manuals for men, auto for women but that always causes a stir lol
    You keep blowing clutches cos you drive like you stole it!
    FRESH Clique 24 (24 hours)
    WG Motorworks - RABBID REMAP
    Ko6 Turbo. 3"Turbo Back custom exhaust De-Cat - KW V2 Coilovers Porsche Brakes
    331 BHP Fully forged - Fast Road Cams - Plus Williams Clio 3

Quote Originally Posted by justchris View Post
    Hi im trying to decide whether to buy a VXR8 or E92 M3 and trying to find out some information about the VXR8 and any help would be much appreciated. I apologise in advance as the search function wont load but that might have something to do with my connection.

How many miles can you get from a tank of fuel, my commute once a month is 280 miles each way is it easy to get 280 from 1 tank of fuel because I don't like stopping during this journey. also how many litres does it take to fill?

Does it require normal fuel or the likes of V-power?

Im a mechanic by trade so will be doing all my servicing ect by myself im wandering how much it is for the following parts; spark plugs, oils and filters, brakes ect?

Am I right in assuming these engines are reliable for high miles and how have they been holding up as the miles rack up? also is there any major concerns reliability wise for the whole car?

What's better the manuals or autos does the car have any problems with either

thanks in advance
    Both need fuel tankers driving behind them, dont know what you are coming from but if you are doing continual long distances , the VXR8 will be the best/cheapest option and you will love it, but perhaps some may say its not as refined/classy at the M3 but you get what you pay for !

My friend has had two M3's now - blew the first one up, well took it through some water which was higher than he though aka he claims its a design flaw, LOL..... the 2nd he brought to Le Mans with us a few years ago, and we were sick of him having to stop at petrol stations onroute and clearly struggled to keep up with S2 Astra's until ~140 !

He also told me recently at some stage you have to replace the whole suspension due to this or the other - now I dont know your level of expersise and what tools you have at your disposal but you will find that the VXR8 is again alot better/cheaper in this sector too

Hes constantly replacing tyres too !

On balance if you have enough money to buy brand new - I would buy the E92 or infact the M4 now, if you are only in the 2nd hand market the VXR8 is the clear winner

Regional Assistant - Essex Hey Mr Chicken badboyburt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andygray View Post
    You keep blowing clutches cos you drive like you stole it!
    Exactly how its meant to be driven

V8, not for everyone but 10/10 for your effort.

I have a VXR8, and my mate had an E92 M3 until recently. Fuel consumption (mpg) figures were similar, but due to the larger tank on the VXR8 I got more miles out of the tank than him (~400 vs ~300) so you might be sucking on fumes by the end of your commute.
    His '57 plate M3 seemed to be going wrong every month (sticking brakes, ABS pump failing, front springs snapping, throttle body actuators failing etc etc), but that is probably just be an unlucky instance and chances are that yours would be fine.

Regional Assistant - South Essex nurburgring24's Avatar

Get an Astra don't become one of those v8 snobs lol

Quote Originally Posted by nurburgring24 View Post
    Get an Astra don't become one of those v8 snobs lol
    You took the words right out of my mouth :-)

Regional Assistant - South Essex nurburgring24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by R15VXR View Post
    You took the words right out of my mouth :-)
    I got you back rich

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast