+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    VXRed

Default Disappointed with my VXR - new owner

Recently picked up a MY16 VXR, covered only 8,000 miles.
    This may seem contrary to the thread title… But I love the car. Had it a couple of months now and love the interior, the sound, the looks, the tech, and the best bit for me has to be the chassis, for a FWD car it is outstanding.

However, there are two big buts.

GEARBOX! The day I drove the car home I noticed a lot of clattering and clonking and general noise from the transmission, totally spoiled that new car feeling. So as you would expect it went straight back in to Vauxhall. They diagnosed it as the brace on the subframe being loose, so this was tightened and sceptically I picked it up only to find it was cured of all noises and the gearshift/general car felt like it should, not even 2yrs old and only covered 8k.
    Fast forward a few weeks and again I am getting clonks, noises, rattles etc. Not been able to engage second a few times, and on fifth on occasion too. The box seems to be incredibly notchy and the gearchange feels like something out of a 1940’s Austin 7.
    The dealer I got it from seems disinterested in helping me so I am going to take it to my local one, cannot say I am really very impressed.

Is there anything that can be done to improve it? It “works” and is one of those things I can guarantee that if I go on a test drive with a Tech it wont make a bloody sound and will work properly, but day to day it is just ruining the overall experience.

I see Forge sell an uprated brace, which is quite cheap, would this help stiffening it up to take up some of the slack, similar to fitting the powerflex insert in my H, that seemed to solve the clunking in that.. but I am worried about voiding the warranty

Also seat seems to “move” around corners sometimes, feels like the seat pad your bum goes on and not the actual seat, nothing seems loose tho and you can only recreate it when in motion. It creates a rather rubbish lack of confidence and build quality perception, this won’t be covered under warranty I am guessing as it is over a year old?

Any advice is welcome, I want to enjoy the car more

Check the gearbox oil, and replace. Also consider a short shifter.

isnt this still under warranty?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyp90 View Post
    I am pretty awesome.
    BOOM
    the Moaning Mod

Clique No: 7

VXRed

Yes still under warranty. So far not confident they will do anything about it tho!

worth putting it in
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyp90 View Post
    I am pretty awesome.
    BOOM
    the Moaning Mod

Clique No: 7

As is well documented on the forum, the gearbox in vxr's are generally one of the worst parts of the cars.
    Before you start making mods to rectify the transmission issue, I think you need to give Vauxhall a reasonable opportunity to correct the issue. Using another dealer is a good option, especially if you feel the selling dealer is not giving you 100% customer service.
    It won't do any harm contacting Vauxhall customer service so that they can open a case and keep everything well documented. It may be that if after a few repair attempts the issue still exists, they could agree to the modified part without invalidating the warranty. Without their specific consent, you will almost certainly invalidate the warranty relating to transmission faults.
    Again, the seat should be a warranty repair unless it can be demonstrated that the fault is as the result of modification or damage.
    Speed cameras and traffic wardens are a bad idea!

VXRed

I think interior/trim is only covered in first year warranty sadly. I will mention it though.

OK, thanks for the advise, I will let Vx Cust Serv know and hopefully get this sorted, it is the onl thing that lets the car down.

Also noticed a rather strange stick feeling when engaging 5th, it seems to pull itself back towards the N/S when you have engaged it.

VXR enough

if memory serves I think it was well documented that the J suffers with a noisey diff , whining and chatter were common on early cars , mine ( at the time ) inc , it had only done a couple of hundred miles when I reported it , VX said it was normal ! yet my mates J was silent , a short shift will improve the gear change a good bit thow

VXRed

If the stick is moving when engaging the clutch or accelerating then, from what I've heard, the box is knackered. Shouldn't be any play/movement in the stick when engaged. And yes agree with the noisy diff, mine has one as well but it's difficult to know whether it's the diff or gearbox, so get the gearbox changed by VX for peace of mind. Not being able to engage gears is definitely wrong. Mine grinds into first sometimes when engaging first just before the vehicle is stationary. I also have ear-piercing whine at around 33-38mph in 3rd and 4th. Needless to say I'm getting a new box under warranty.

I have recently opened a case for mine. 14k miles on 65 plate.
    2nd gear engage: it does most of the time but intermittently you get where you have to pull it into the notch about another couple of mill before it clicks in otherwise it jumps out. I get a rattle at low speeds when I'm turning and a knock on lock at the same...have also raised that my gloss black window running strips are water marked and bobbling again despite being changed when the car was a few months old. Car booked in next week at dealers.
    Current: Astra J VXR white, Insignia Vx line 2.0t sidi 252bhp, Corsa Black Edition 1.4t mapped (157bhp).
    Previous: Monaro VXR 6.0 LS2, V22VXR Vectra VXR Black, Black carbon Flash Insignia VX-Line Nav...215bhp, Astra Gte 2.0l Bertone! MK1 Gte, MK2 Gte 16v, Vectra Gsi 3.2, VXR8 LS2, Astra VXRacing 483.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast