+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

The J is a brilliant drivers car and grips like a limpet and, to me, the best looking hatch on the road but the gearbox really lets it down. It sounds like your gearbox is in a bad way, I hope your new dealer will help you out.

A gearbox oil change does make a big difference but I noticed that it only lasted around 4 to 5 months before the 2nd gear clatter and diff noise returned. I never experienced 2nd gear popping out or not going in but it always 'clattered' when going in.

My car was one of the first delivered and so had the replacement box and respecced diff back in 2012, that box was replaced again about a year later so, after having 3 gearboxes in my car I can say they were all noisy.

Its sad to say, the 2nd gear issue got the better of me and I traded my J in for a BMW after nearly five years and 30000 miles. If you could put the BMW ZF 8 auto and b58 engine into the astra it would be epic!

If you could put the BMW ZF 8 auto and b58 engine into the astra it would be epic![/QUOTE]

Just looked at my post, the Astra J VXR is already epic, it'd be even more epic with the bm drivetrain lol

My 64 plate J has got 31k hard miles on it and the gearbox is still slick and positive with only standard servicing. Get Vaux to fix it. if mine's perfect yours should be too.
    ** Life's too short to drive a boring car **

mines 64 plate also , at first service , service manager said my car had up graded gearbox fitted . Short shifter fitted , oil changed every year, very slick.
    How ever i have noticed depending on your seat position, it does make a difference to gear change , i notice this after cleaning the interior off the car one day , the seat was 1 notch out.
    mac

BUZZ BLUE GTC VXR mid life crisis & loving every minute.

Bought my 14 plate 6 months ago. Noticed 'squeak' when turning hard right on test drive, as if fitted carbon mud flap was catching. Dealer checked it out and couldn't find anything. Soon after warranty ran out loud squeal started when setting off with steering turned. After advice from VXRO I changed the gear box oil. Everything perfect now with 30k on clock.

I think it is pretty sad that Vauxhall continue to produce a high performance car but can't seem to get major components right. Fingers crossed, if the 'K' ever appears they finally get it right.

I love my VXR J and wouldn't drive anything else on my 80 round trip to work
    Last edited by bottlebill; 22nd July 2017 at 09:12 AM.

Mine goes in Sunday and I'm leaving it with them until Thursday as it's becoming more noticeable I think...poss placebo effect lol.
    Once sorted I'm looking at a map....I keep being told they are the slowest out of the hot hatches (golf r, Audi s3, megane 265 etc). Not had the opportunity to test that but don't wanna burst the bubble as it were. Our local mapper is evolution...
    Current: Astra J VXR white, Insignia Vx line 2.0t sidi 252bhp, Corsa Black Edition 1.4t mapped (157bhp).
    Previous: Monaro VXR 6.0 LS2, V22VXR Vectra VXR Black, Black carbon Flash Insignia VX-Line Nav...215bhp, Astra Gte 2.0l Bertone! MK1 Gte, MK2 Gte 16v, Vectra Gsi 3.2, VXR8 LS2, Astra VXRacing 483.

I'll update as well with what they do especially as a case has been raised and accepted by VX cust care
    Current: Astra J VXR white, Insignia Vx line 2.0t sidi 252bhp, Corsa Black Edition 1.4t mapped (157bhp).
    Previous: Monaro VXR 6.0 LS2, V22VXR Vectra VXR Black, Black carbon Flash Insignia VX-Line Nav...215bhp, Astra Gte 2.0l Bertone! MK1 Gte, MK2 Gte 16v, Vectra Gsi 3.2, VXR8 LS2, Astra VXRacing 483.

VXRed blooded

Quote Originally Posted by Sporticus View Post
    ....I keep being told they are the slowest out of the hot hatches (golf r, Audi s3, megane 265 etc).
    What does it matter? They are all slow compared to a Tesla S P100D hot hatch

It matters to me....and probably a lot of other people plus the tesla is £136k not £26k and is a completely different ball of wax!

VXRed blooded

Quote Originally Posted by Sporticus View Post
    Mine goes in Sunday and I'm leaving it with them until Thursday as it's becoming more noticeable I think...poss placebo effect lol.
    Once sorted I'm looking at a map....I keep being told they are the slowest out of the hot hatches (golf r, Audi s3, megane 265 etc). Not had the opportunity to test that but don't wanna burst the bubble as it were. Our local mapper is evolution...
    Who keeps telling you? They Have been out near 5 years and other stuff keeps evolving! TBH I'm with carbon on this, I don't really care, if you want fast I'd say second hand gtr or something similar.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast