+ Reply to Thread
    VXRed

Default looking to buy a vxr8

hi all this question may sound a little dumb but what is the difference between the 6l and the 6.2 vxr8 the ones from 2007-2009 I see one has 414bhp and one has 430bhp

Hi - and welcome - for what it's worth, I have a 6.0. Aside from the engine size/power increase - I think the 6.2 has better cylinder heads and maybe a better clutch, with probably a few of the 6.0 issues/recall items ironed out (such as air con belt tensioner?).

I'm sure someone can chip in if needed but read here also ... http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/arc...t-209023.html?

With regards to the cylinder heads for example, if you were looking at having a Walkinshaw supercharger fitted, the LS3 is better suited to this as the heads on an LS2 would need uprating.

That aside though, for day to day stuff there's little between the two. My LS2 has a catback exhaust, an ecu remap, uprated headers and high flow cats and has far more power than a standard LS3. So the power thing is a bit academic at the end of the day.......

The 6.0 will be a couple of £k cheaper and is obviously a bit older too, but i've had no major problems with mine. Either way - get one or the other
    Hoovering up the road

2007 VXR8

Walkinshaw Performance Power Pack, Headers and Supersport Cats. Ebay Antenna.

VXRed

thank you for the fast reply! as soon as I find a nice red one for sale ill be getting one

VXRacing ahead

The ls3 6.2 is a better flowing engine, they are a lot more in money to buy though

Get your self on some of the Facebook owners pages as they are the cars to buy, try and pick something up that has an ls7 clutch and exhaust on

Quote Originally Posted by vaxer View Post
    Hi - and welcome - for what it's worth, I have a 6.0. Aside from the engine size/power increase - I think the 6.2 has better cylinder heads and maybe a better clutch, with probably a few of the 6.0 issues/recall items ironed out (such as air con belt tensioner?).
    It's the same clutch and the A/C tensioner belt issue isn't fixed either on the 6.2

The clutch is a weak point on these cars. Look for a car that has had the LS7 clutch installed. This is a GM re-designed clutch and doesn't have the issues of the OE clutch. Definitely worth checking that this already exists before you buy, as having the LS7 done yourself will cost 4 figures.

The A/C tensioner belt issue is a relatively cheap fix, around a 100 quid and is well worth doing.

The main difference between the two engines, other than increase in CC, is better airflow. If you're not going to modify the engine then this isn't going to be a concern to you. But if you fancy more power, installing a super charger etc, then the better airflow of the 6.2 LS3 engine comes into play and will result in a higher power set-up.
    VXR8 GTS Sting Red
    6.2 litre Supercharged LSA V8 (779bhp and 765lb ft torque)
    Modified and tuned by Walkinshaw Performance UK

+ Reply to Thread